• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ever wonder about tires?

disconnected

V.I.P Member
Think about new tires for your vehicle, bus, truck or whatever. The full treads are pretty deep. When they are worn out where did the missing material go? Does the worn rubber lay on the road to get washed off by rain into the waterways? It goes somewhere?!

Yes. It goes into the air as particles, into the ground, the water, and ultimately into you.

The rubber gnomes come in the middle of the night and steal it for all those prophylactics they make.

The rubber gnomes come in the middle of the night and steal it for all those prophylactics they make.
I am now picturing roving gangs of miniture leather daddies with pointy hats roaming the streets at night to pilfer bits of your tires.
Thank you for putting that image in my mind.

I am now picturing roving gangs of miniture leather daddies with pointy hats roaming the streets at night to pilfer bits of your tires.
Thank you for putting that image in my mind.

De nada. :p

Nothing like some rubber to put a spring in one's step.

Last edited:
Think about new tires for your vehicle, bus, truck or whatever. The full treads are pretty deep. When they are worn out where did the missing material go? Does the worn rubber lay on the road to get washed off by rain into the waterways? It goes somewhere?!
Interesting question. :) Rubber erasers leave little bits of itself that you blow away, so I would guess maybe the rubber particles gets blown away by the breeze created from the speed of the vehicle, building up along side the road - Maybe that's where the rubber cones come from?

It's not so easy to see with normal tyres, ones meant for the average person to get from A to B in a practical way. Tyres made for racing can be much softer, these tyres will not last so long but they grip the road much better. If you're really curious, try watching some Formula One races, they will wear out sets of tyres rather quickly and in a relatively small area, so you really get to see it happening.

Tyres will 'grain', the surface appears different (and it's easy to see because they're slicks, not treaded) if they're over-stressed, and little bits come off much like a pencil eraser or rubber. The bits collect beside the racing line, and are easily visible, they're sometimes referred to as 'marbles', and are collectively called clag. They're a hazard, and will cause the car to lose good contact with the track surface.

Weight is a big factor in F1 racing, the cars must weigh a certain amount, and building a car that is below the weight specifications is cheating. Cars are often weighed after the race, and to make sure that the cars are not underweight the drivers will often intentionally drive off the racing line to pick up clag on their tyres, thus adding a bit of weight after racing and immediately before parking and potentially being weighed. If you look at the tyres after the race, before the award ceremony you'll see obvious lumps of rubber stuck to them.

If the track has not been used lately it will change colour during the race. The racing line will become rubberized and darkened, and grip in those areas is increased during the race weekend. Drivers will (sometimes, occasionally) intentionally lay rubber by their pits and where they start the race from to get that little bit of extra grip when they start off.

Here's a picture of extreme clag, you could watch many races and not see this much of a buildup...
clag F1 15530.jpg

I have long had a fascination with tread wear. Especially when I used to ride a road bike.

With every revolution, particles of your tires are released, onto the road, into the air.

New Threads

Top Bottom