• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you ever feel like an Aspie your life kind of reads out like an underdog origin story?

megacomic

Just that awkward guy.
Or anti-hero if so inclined.

For me personally:

*Smart but flawed
*Logical
*Loner/ Unable to form strong connections with others
*Having a vision or motive that no one seems to fully understand but you.
*Driven and ambitious/ Obsessive in pursuit of goals and interests
*Often ostracized by people who don't understand you
*Often viewed with suspicion or scrutiny from normal people.
*Capable of empathy but often accused not having it.

I don't know I always related more to villains growing up and I wondered if any other Aspies feel them same.

Last edited:
Or anti-hero if so inclined.

For me personally:

*Smart but flawed
*Logical
*Loner/ Unable to form strong connections with others
*Having a vision or motive that no one seems to fully understand but you.
*Driven and ambitious/ Obsessive in pursuit of goals and interests
*Often ostracized by people who don't understand you
*Often viewed with suspicion or scrutiny from normal people.
*Capable of empathy but often accused not having it.

I don't know I always related more to villains growing up and I wondered if any other Aspies feel them same.

I agree with everything 100% except the villain part. Maybe I just don't grasp what your saying. I picture a terrible person or someone being mean to others who do not deserve to be treated in that manner...
I'm very quiet, very much non-violent, yet also non-conformist...

Maybe thats it, I'm non-conformist by default, but villain... I cant make that one fit me. : )

I agree with everything 100% except the villain part. Maybe I just don't grasp what your saying. I picture a terrible person or someone being mean to others who do not deserve to be treated in that manner...
I'm very quiet, very much non-violent, yet also non-conformist...

Maybe thats it, I'm non-conformist by default, but villain... I cant make that one fit me. : )

I don't know how to fully describe it but I don't mean villain as in Emperor Palpatine or like a sadistic killer more so a misunderstood person who people think is worse than really are. It's more I share a lot of traits with compelling villains in pop culture aside from the whole evil thing. Sorry I couldn't clarify that better. I j

I don't know how to fully describe it but I don't mean villain as in Emperor Palpatine or like a sadistic killer more so a misunderstood person who people think is worse than really are. Sorry I couldn't clarify that better.

Its all good!... I cant do any better... : ) I was thinking you surely weren't meaning an evil person...

I don't know how to fully describe it but I don't mean villain as in Emperor Palpatine or like a sadistic killer more so a misunderstood person who people think is worse than really are. It's more I share a lot of traits with compelling villains in pop culture aside from the whole evil thing. Sorry I couldn't clarify that better. I j
Do you mean an underdog ?

Instead of a villain, how about RobinHood? He stole from the rich to give to the poor. I don't think he was considered a villain.

Do you mean an underdog ?
Yeah. I guess. The thought occurred to me when I was working with a 5 year old who is also on the spectrum. He came home telling me he was the "bad guy". I asked him why he was the bad guy and he said that everyone in class said he was mean and the bad guy. I remember feeling the exactly the same way growing up because I said and did what I felt was right or most logical and people would call me terrible names.It always felt like when I was just being myself the whole world was against me because I was "unusual" or "weird".

Yeah. I guess. The thought occurred to me when I was working with a 5 year old who is also on the spectrum. He came home telling me he was the "bad guy". I asked him why he was the bad guy and he said that everyone in class said he was mean and the bad guy. I remember feeling the exactly the same way growing up because I said and did what I felt was right or most logical and people would call me terrible names.
99% of children are vile

Wow... we convinced you your wording was maybe a little messed up...
You come up with better wording and change the title... Now our posts are all crazy sounding...

Yep thats how we AS/ASD people keep people guessing... Much better word choice by the way. : )

By the way, we might be unusual or weird, but to us its our normal. I know exactly how you have felt, and I still feel that way even as an adult sometimes. I can still be a social train wreck, in about 2 seconds flat and in most cases people are no different now from when I was a kid. You and the little guy are right. It makes you feel like "the bad guy," the screwed up one, the leper, or the unwanted.

We are all heroes- the strong silent type- because we keep going even when the whole world seems against us.

99% of children are vile

..... why go into a thread and make such a negative and judgmental statement about young?

Kids can be mean sure, but if they are vile what does that make adults? I have worked with so many children and have not come across a single vile child.

thats my opinion the moderators decide what is allowed not you
..... why go into a thread and make such a negative and judgmental statement about young?

Kids can be mean sure, but if they are vile what does that make adults? I have worked with so many children and have not come across a single vile child.

thats my opinion the moderators decide what is allowed not you

If you go back and read my message I never said it wasn't allowed or that you can't say that. I merely asked why you would go into a thread and make a negative and judgmental statement that has no meaning towards the point of the thread other than a passing reference of a child to explain their meaning.

I guess I am more curious than anything. I know many of us grew up bullied and looked down on and continue to be judged by others. I guess I just wonder how one can so easily judge a whole group. It's a bit illogical too. Just confuses me is all.

you didnt merely,ask its not illogical and all children arent little angels.
Ok so you have three parts to that response, although the punctuation makes it a bit confusing (I would like to make it clear I am not correcting any grammar, just using logic to determine the most likely meaning) but I am guessing the meaning is "you didn't merely ask" .... to which I will refer to the first part of my first response:

I asked a question and then backed my confusion with my experience with children.

Your second point that it is not illogical.... I will say that putting 99% instead of 100% is more logical but probably more accurate to put 1% of children are vile. Where do the numbers come from? Where is the proof or examples? There is proof of children doing vile things like killing or torturing animals and even other humans, though I am not sure of the exact percentage I would guess it is probably close to 1% or less. Although we might need to determine how we are defining 'vile' in the first place. The thread itself has nothing to do with children being negative so making a statement about it is illogical in itself. It seems to possibly be a statement made of emotional upset in some form but still not relevant to the thread itself which makes it curious/unusual hence my confusion. It is a hostile/negative/judgmental statement that seems to come out of nowhere with no logic that I can see. Which is why I asked.

To your last part that "children arent angels" I would respond that in none of my responses did I say anything of the sort. In fact children can be quite mean sometimes. However vile and mean seem quite different categories. I would be more likely to say adults are vile but that isn't completely fair either. Many adults are quite judgmental but humanity does have good in it also. I do wish people were more open minded and accepting but that's a different argument entirely.

I was always rooting for the baddie. They are often isolated and started with good intentions. Perhaps it's the non conformity thing also.

Maybe we identify the hero with alphas who people swoon and flock around. And think to myself 'belled'

Hah

Yep, I feel very much like this sometimes:

"If only you could put your mind to something worthwhile: You're like Lex Luthor!" ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom