1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Do You Challenge Yourself Mentally?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Raggamuffin, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin Well-Known Member

Does anyone play games in their head? Say I'm in the kitchen, and the kettle is on, I start inventing tasks and objectives I must perform before the kettle clicks. Same goes for the microwave.

Or I start counting down in my head from 10 whilst I'm doing something and start to feel a rush of childish excitement as it draws closer to 1. Sometimes I do this to pretend it could affect things in my life - run up the stairs in under 3 seconds or you'll blow up. Or walking on paved pathway squares in the movement of a Knight piece in chess.

It's quirky, but I've done it for over 20 years and it still never gets old.

Ed

• Like Like x 5
  2. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

Not really games, but, sometimes I count items when sitting somewhere bored.
    Like how many chairs are in the room, how many pictures on the wall, how many light fixtures.
    Stuff like that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fridgemagnetman

Fridgemagnetman I only have one V.I.P Member

I'm about to start doing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. UberScout

UberScout JAPANAPAJ

I challenge my noggin as much as I can, as hard as I can any chance I get, in any way I can think of, especially if I've got my Adderall. When I'm on my long acting, HOO boy, I got long division down to a science.

Well maybe not long division. But I am getting better at math recently,

My latest fascination is with a game called "Papers, Please". You're a customs administrator in the fictional Russian province of Arstotzka, and your job is to look at the documents of everyone coming through and decide whether or not to let them in or detain them.

There's an endless mode that procedurally generates passersby, and it's a great challenge for your brain.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

@UberScout

That game sounds interesting, from what I read.

"Some critics reacted against the paperwork gameplay. Stephanie Bendixsen from the ABC's game review show Good Game found the game "tedious", commenting "while I found the issues that arose from the decisions you are forced to make quite interesting, I was just so bored that I just struggled to go from one day to the next. I was torn between wanting to find out more, and just wanting it all to stop."

Papers, Please is considered by several journalists as an example of video games as an art form. Papers, Please is frequently categorized as an "empathy game", a type of role-playing game that "asks players to inhabit their character's emotional worlds", as described by Patrick Begley of the Sydney Morning Herald, or as described by Pope himself, "other people simulators". Pope noted that he had not set out to make an empathy game, but the emotional ties created by his scenarios came about naturally from developing the core mechanics."
    Papers, Please - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Major Tom

Major Tom Searching for ground control... V.I.P Member

Due to life challenges for me every day is a mental challenge not to lose my marbles. Sometimes the challenges are good, others they are bad. It depends on how I look at things on any particular day.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

Jedi powers. Constantly trying to levitate things. The one time it happen scared me to death and was cool too.
    Also think about creation of the universe and try to picture it. The entire universe structure in detail. What a workout.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I do. Play word games or take quizzes. Read every spare moment I have. Do taekwondo kicks and ballet when I'm waiting for something to cook or load, or fill up. Do pushups on the stairs. Dance when playing with my cats.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard V.I.P Member

Im currently on sick leave from work. I usually read to keep myself stimulated, but I can’t concentrate too well these days.
    I try to keep my mind a little occupied by doing crossword puzzles.

10. WoodWorkingJoel

WoodWorkingJoel Active Member

I used to do that when I was younger but it started to stress me out because my siblings noticed and would call me weirdo etc.
    That and I was worried I was going nuts :)

11. Yeshuasdaughter

Yeshuasdaughter Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

word games calm me down.

12. Gracey

Gracey Well-Known Member

Always.

I can get frustrated if bored.
    I avoid boredom.

If I'm not physically moving,
    I'm figuring things out, or observing, or making stuff up.

I would write that I have difficulty being 'still' in mind and body,
    but I think it more a case of my not wanting to be.

13. tducey

tducey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do. I always enjoy testing my memory.

14. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

When my mind is idle, I look for patterns in numbers around me, on license plates, or in things I count, or try to find anagrams of words.

When I go to sleep, I pick a math problem to think about, so it quiets all the other thoughts. Sometimes I pick a problem that's too interesting and I wind up staying awake to work on it. Sometimes I'll also recite some poem, scripture, or number sequence that I've memorized to lull myself to sleep.

15. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

Yes, often around languages I learned or am learning, see how many languages I can say a word in, for example.

16. HidinginPlainSight

HidinginPlainSight Well-Known Member

All the time.

Memory games (such as memorizing latin names for mushrooms and mushroom related fungus), logic puzzles and pattern recognition games.

Memorizing things is almost a sickness for me, well I suppose it would be one if I didn't enjoy it.

17. Nervous Rex

A friend of mine has commented a few times that he's never met anyone else who likes memorizing stuff as much as I do.

I like to memorize poems, songs, scriptures, etc. that I like because then I can have it with me any time I want. It's my version of, "I like this. I'm keeping it."

• Like Like x 1
  18. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

I thought op's post said "dicks" instead of clicks at first.

19. Nervous Rex

That font does make it a little difficult to distinguish. Like some fonts that make an 'r' followed by an 'n' look like an 'm'.

20. HidinginPlainSight

HidinginPlainSight Well-Known Member

For me, I'm not sure there is a reason other than pathology. Almost always the things I choose to memorize have to do with categories and/or labels.

For example, memorizing all the geological periods, series' and stages. There is nothing objectively entertaining about knowing which series the Sakmarian stage belongs to, but it's information I chose to retain.

Strangely, repeating any of these things out of sequence can cause some difficultly, although I have no problem placing them into the proper sequence.