• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you believe in signs?

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Do you believe in signs? Like little details out in the world that only a few would notice that can uplift, inspire, and motivate?

I do.
1664612164231.jpeg

As many of you know, I’ve been quite down for a bit, but I came upon this tiny, mighty flower, persisting to exist in an ugly, dirty old parking lot. Something about it was very inspiring. I had to pass it everyday for work, so I checked on it each day. I built it a stone wall for protection and because it looked a little lonely. It has given me great hope for my own fate and future.

1664612587642.jpeg

Here’s hoping there’s hope for all, especially if you feel like you lost it.

I do pay attention to things most people do ignore (filter).
I do filter things that most people pay attention.
And the kind of things that motivate me are quite different.
Im not sure if that means that I believe in sings, but I appreciate them.

Thanks for posting. Your post was a stronger sign that the flower in the parking slot.

Yes, I do believe in signs.

God has shown me numerous throughout my life and each was an absolute gift. Like this flower Rodafina, you will break through the asphalt into the sun. We’re all here for you.

Signs are an inherited set of superstitions we are exposed to at a very early age, often designed to give those who 'see' them a sense of hope or to foster, however briefly, a certain degree of 'magical thinking'. This is the same mechanism utilised by cult leaders, organised religion(s), and 'faith' healers.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a huge amount of information we have no idea about, reams of atypical phenomenons we do not understand. More critically people have the freedom, an inherent right, to believe as they want to believe. But all too often the capacity of belief is weaponised and used against those who want to believe often in a pursuit of money and/or power.

Those small aberrations in the patterns, (e.g. a milkweed seed, a dragonfly, or the adored cardinal), those are reminders of what belief is truly about, hope and a better life.

It is not about conscripted doctrines that strip believers of their own aberrant questions, curiosity, and resources. It is not about relinquishing one's ability (right) to ask questions in order to follow blindly.

It is a minute detail that indicates there is a design within the chaos, but we are not meant to sit passively as the chaos seems to overwhelm us in the immediate moment.

The flower in the pavement crack, its roots go deep, feeling blindly until it finds the earth, its resources and begins to grow.

But people do not look at the nature, the tenancy of that outlier bloom. They follow blindly where many proclaimed 'prophets' lead because they do not question or think for themselves.

Belief is a very complex thing. If you see 'signs' definitely talk a moment and consider the duality of simplicity and the patterns in the grand design.

I will, however, question the veracity of a donkey with a carrot stuck to its head claiming to be a unicorn.

Last edited:
Yes, in the sense of something (usually by chance) catching my eye and making me really think for a moment. It can be the oddest little thing. I don't rule out a external influence, but feel it is not the case most all of the time.

I remember seeing a parrot in front of my car, right before l went into my job and my boss said they were letting me go. But later, she told me it wasn't her, my boss. It was the owner that wasn't there. So that made me feel better. I remember just staring at the parrot , just amazed, and l wasn't upset after that.

Signs are an inherited set of superstitions we are exposed to at a very early age, often designed to give those who 'see' them a sense of hope or to foster, however briefly, a certain degree of 'magical thinking'

This may be how you perceive ‘signs’ Darkkin, but to say it is an ‘inherited set of superstitions’ is insultive to those that actually have seen true signs, including myself.

It doesn’t happen very often, but when I am blessed enough to see a ‘sign’, I know where it came from and have zero doubt about its meaning.

This may be how you perceive ‘signs’ Darkkin, but to say it is an ‘inherited set of superstitions’ is insultive to those that actually have seen true signs, including myself.

It doesn’t happen very often, but when I am blessed enough to see a ‘sign’, I know where it came from and have zero doubt about its meaning.
Signs are interpreted by the context of the individual. Meaning there is no right or wrong way to read it. A superstition is a non- quantitative belief (again, a benign trait) often passed on in a storytelling format.

Finding offense in how one describes a non- quantitative trait (faith) is one of the base reason I do not talk belief with anyone.

It is an opinion. Don't like it leave it alone and walk away. Don't actively take offense at something that is in itself benign and not intended as an insult.

This is why I cannot stand mega religion or politics. Everyone gets offended by everything because it doesn't align with an individual's context of 'true'. It is the exact same principle as defining 'normal'. It is non-objective to the topic and is comprehensive in its exclusionary criteria.

By definition superstition is morally neutral and does not specify any sect or type belief.

superstition:

a widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief.

Superstition is not a derogatory term. It is an accurate definition of actions derived from habitual and contextual belief and/or faith.

Last edited:
Light heartedly, what I thought of on seeing the thread title, was signage, like road signs and signs in buildings to supposedly guide me. I can see and touch them, so, yes I do believe in them, but often they do not seem to be easy to understand. I'm often confused by signs.

I toss stranded earthworms back in to the grass after a rain storm so they don't dry out. I won't kill a spider or beetle if I can avoid it, and I keep an eye on the horizon for white pelicans, as well.

The context is my own, but these are everyday things that hold significance.

One thing I will never do, touch a Ouija board. Nope. Not ever, I don't care if someone offered to pay me that is something I will not mess around with.

2 in 5 Americans believe in the paranormal. 1 in 5 has had an actual encounter of some kind.

But numbers aside the ability to have faith, to believe in something we can define is a very big part of what makes us human.

As Kirk said in Star Trek the Motion Picture. 'What it needs is a human quality, our ability to leap beyond logic.'

In short a leap of faith...that belief is not about defining limits, it is about being open to an idea.

I toss stranded earthworms back in to the grass after a rain storm so they don't dry out. I won't kill a spider or beetle if I can avoid it, and I keep an eye on the horizon for white pelicans, as well.

The context is my own, but these are everyday things that hold significance.

One thing I will never do, touch a Ouija board. Nope. Not ever, I don't care if someone offered to pay me that is something I will not mess around with.

2 in 5 Americans believe in the paranormal. 1 in 5 has had an actual encounter of some kind.

But numbers aside the ability to have faith, to believe in something we can define is a very big part of what makes us human.

As Kirk said in Star Trek the Motion Picture. 'What it needs is a human quality, our ability to leap beyond logic.'

In short a leap of faith...that belief is not about defining limits, it is about being open to an idea.
Yes. I totally agree. My brother and l played the Ouija board and never touched it again. Because the marker moved by itself which really scared us. We didn't tell my mom, we just never used it again. You summon dark energy. My daughter and I are very good at throwing Tarot cards. I had a lady friend who always asked me to read her. My daughter is also gifted. She said somebody asked her if she had gypsy lineage. But her two great grandmother's were psychic.

Light heartedly, what I thought of on seeing the thread title, was signage, like road signs and signs in buildings to supposedly guide me. I can see and touch them, so, yes I do believe in them, but often they do not seem to be easy to understand. I'm often confused by signs.

Supposed Guides :laughing:
1664717518633.jpeg

Yes. I totally agree. My brother and l played the Ouija board and never touched it again. Because the marker moved by itself which really scared us. We didn't tell my mom, we just never used it again. You summon dark energy. My daughter and I are very good at throwing Tarot cards. I had a lady friend who always asked me to read her. My daughter is also gifted. She said somebody asked her if she had gypsy lineage. But her two great grandmother's were psychic.
I’ve always looked to the supernatural for friends, so I like to think if I am rightly respectful, I would have nothing to fear. I haven’t had too much luck with humans, so I am open to interacting with anything else, but I never have.

I do. Just no idea what they mean. I was driving once and randomly started to think about bananas, maybe I had a feeling for them or something. 2 min after, I drove past banana in the middle of the road. It felt weird.

Okay, I was on the fence with this, too. I was hoping for the one but expecting the other. It was the reverse. So I was driving through a city I'm not familiar with last weekend and followed the sign for my exit. About a half hour later, it occurred to me the light was glinting the wrong way off the clouds--I was heading west, not east! A couple of days later, I came to the same exist, again, and instantly understood my problem. The signage in that state comes before the exit ramp, but I've lived in states where it comes at or beside the exit ramp. At that exit ramp, sure enough, was the sign saying east and a big 'ole arrow pointing west. Arrgghhh!

But about the neoHumean's take on miracles, it may help to know Hume's position against miracles is quite circular.

New Threads

Top Bottom