• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you become introverted or extroverted when you experience a lot of feelings/emotions/passions?

Ihaveaspergers

Do you become introverted or extroverted when you experience a lot of feelings/emotions/passions?
I, and many aspies I have met, become introverted. Shouldn't feelings/emotions/passions make us extroverted?
Perhaps aspies often don't know how to live them out (even at home).

Passions: Passion: Philosophical Definition

I do not think that this can be applied to us, because being introverted means HAPPY being on one's own and NOT needing others to interact. Being an extrovert, is the opposite. One NEEDS interaction with others. I know this, because my husband is an introvert and I have a friend who is an extrovert.

Whereas for us, it is a case of finding interacting with others, so tiring that we have meltdowns and then, have to shut ourselves away, but suffer loneliness and depression, because we do not want to shut ourselves away all the time.

I'm introverted.

If I experience strong emotions I become ultra-introverted. As in "Do allow me to be alone for 4 to 5 hours until this unlikely but not entirely unenjoyable state I'm in diminishes so I can regain all of my normal cognitive functions back".

Last edited:
My diagnosis says that I am very introverted. I did not get diagnosed until I was 62 and the fact that I am so introverted surprised me. While I am not a very social person, I can talk to people if I have something to talk about. I do not think that I have become more or less introverted due to how I feel.

I tend to seek solitude when I feel strong emotions because processing them and being around people at the same time is too much of a load. In the past, I've actually found it very difficult to even access my emotions unless I'm alone and I have music or an emotional movie or something to help me along.

That said, it's difficult to convey distress to others when I need to, so most people think that I'm fine when I'm not. This makes getting help really tough most times, since people think I'm exaggerating my distress, or they look to my face for "proof" and totally ignore my words when I say "I'm not okay." A select group of close people take my words over my face, and I consider them valuable friends and allies.

I expressed intense joy around someone once and they called me manic, which made me feel paranoid and misunderstood. So, when I feel the feels coming on, I usually bolt for a time, and return when things have settled.

I have found, however, that I'm not often lonely. So maybe that's introversion?

The more emotions, stess, whatever I experience the more introverted I become. If things get too much I totally go to my own little world and try to block out the rest. When I start feeling overwhelmed I retreat to my own world. All these emotions can easily be overwhelming for many of us. That alone takes up a lot of energy to just go through these emotions. That leaves little energy for interacting with others.

It takes a lot of energy for me to try to be a little more extroverted - more energy than I have these days.

By nature i am extroverted and the wish for connection and being part is always a drive, i have recently accepted my need to 'recharge' with time alone, this enables me to be with people again, the problem i have is i developing a dependant nature with friends and wanting more time and attention than they want, often leading to 'losing' that friendship due to my 'over expectant' feelings, however with those i people i feel uncomfortable to be around i have to 'mass mask' and end up fatigued and exhausted often for days.

Given that most NTs find Aspie traits, in general, to be annoying and childish and target them for ridicule, why on earth would any Aspie ever want to "live them out?" Why be extroverted when the other people would view you with derision?

Unless you are such a genius (or so rich) that people will elevate their judgment of you from annoying to eccentric, "Just be you," is absolutely f-ing horrible advice for Aspie public behavior. The mask exists for a very good reason.

If one were to "live them out" at home, that's an introverted thing to do.

Depends on the person I'm around, the situation, the type of emotion I'm feeling.
Usually introverted.

Sometimes if something happens I really want, it just comes out as a hip-hooray childishly over
animated expression though.

Anger is the one I have difficulty not expressing VERY extroverted. Verbally and sometimes urges
to express it physically. But, I don't want to get into trouble, so I won't bang someones car with
a ball bat even if I feel like it.
Usually say something verbal, then run away to myself until the feeling subsides.

I'm very much an introvert, and very good at hiding my feelings, even if I have to basically run away to do so. And if I'm sick, stressed, overwhelmed, or emotional in general I get very antisocial and just have a much harder time interacting with people.

New Threads

Top Bottom