• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you approve of Horse racing?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Most years I have a punt on the Grand National, which is usually held at Aintree the first weekend in April, and a few times I've won something, only small prizes mind, because I only bet about a quid each way on 3 different horses. so overall about a £6 stake, sometimes I break even, sometimes I make a couple of quid profit.

In general though, because of what often happens to the Horses if they don't complete the course, I don't approve of Horse racing, it's a bit inhumane really.

Anyone else share my view?

Horse racing is unnecessary. No animal should suffer for people's entertainment, legally or otherwise. And that includes bulls in the bull ring, pit bulls terriers, fighting cocks, etc.

Horse racing is unnecessary. No animal should suffer for people's entertainment, legally or otherwise. And that includes bulls in the bull ring, pit bulls terriers, fighting cocks, etc.

Pit Bull fighting was outlawed years ago, in most cases in the UK it's actually ILLEGAL to even own a Pitbull Terrier nowadays under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Let's just say that they don't make it easy in the US. Where horse racing remains a relatively poorly regulated 25 billion+ dollar industry. IMO a lot of improvement is needed to prevent such a consistent and needless loss of life.

Though competition with other forms of gambling may ultimately sound the death knell for horse racing in general. Where a love of money easily overtakes the thrill of a race and the rituals and time they all take.

However sometimes the lives of wild horses in Nevada sometimes fare little better. Often caught as four-legged political pawns between our federal and state government. Still it's amazing how healthy they can be in the wild, when managing to stay away from humans altogether.

In essence there's a lot to do to improve the lives of these creatures society tends to take for granted as either a profit center or horse meat. I suppose I'd rather see them in the hands of people who love them and know how to care for them, and have the proper resources to do so.

Last edited:
I honestly have no opinion, never thought of it... Where I live there isn't much of a horse racing scene

The only thing I've done? A local track hosts a race day every year on Canada Day (for over 100 years!), but this race is kind of the minor leagues of horse racing... I've been to that one a few times, to take photos and just hang out, never spent any money on the races...

Funny this topic came up. I was born in this small town of Omak Washington. And one of the things this town is famous for is it Suicide Stampede Race. It a horse race in which they race a bunch of horses down a steep hill into the river below. It is a rather dangerous sport as both horses and riders can(and do) get injured. Despite being under the scrutiny of animal rights groups. it still goes on to this day. here is a video of the event.

For anyone in the UK who may be interested, this year's Grand National at Aintree, is to be held from the 12th to the 14th of April, bit later than usual, it's usually the first weekend in April.

I work with horses for a living. I have my qualms with all facets of equine industry practices, but I do love a good horse race. You can always tell if a horse really LOVES what they do or not. Some horses really love to race, and watching them do so can be a joy. However, I think a lot of change needs to happen in the way horses are bred, trained, and treated by "professionals". Humans tend to ignore very important aspects of whole-animal health in the pursuit of money. It's disgusting.

Last edited:
I work with horses for a living. I have my qualms with all facets of equine industry practices, but I do love a good horse
race. You can always tell if a horse really LOVES what they do or not.
Some horses really love to race, and
watching them do so can be a joy. However, I think a lot of change needs to happen in the way horses
are bred, trained, and treated by
"professionals". Humans tend to ignore very important aspects of whole-animal health in the pursuit of
money. It's disgusting.

Humans tending to ignore very important aspects of whole-animal health in the pursuit of money. Is disgusting

New Threads

Top Bottom