• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do y'all put off projects until the last minute?

Ginseng

Christian
V.I.P Member
When I was in college I did not like to wait until the last minute to do an assignment. I do not do well under pressure. So many of my friends liked to put things off until the last minute and then cram for a test or write a paper. I would tend to become overwhelmed if I tried to do that. But they seemed surprised when I would say I didn't do well under pressure. It seems that most people do well under pressure. I just wondered how y'all handled pressure.

I have always found that being up against a deadline helps focus my attention on the task and get it done, where otherwise, my mind would wander and I'd get frustrated that I wasn't able to make progress.

It's true that waiting until the last moment creates a lot of pressure, but even so it creates a realistic framework for getting it done.

The more unknowns a project has, the more I'm inclined to start on it as soon as possible. An "unknown" is when I don't know how to do something, how long it will take to do, whether I will have to do step 5 because of the result of step 4, etc.

The faster I can take care of the unknowns, the less stressed I am about a project. So, for school and work, I tend to start on something as soon as I can, so I don't have to worry about it. In school, even for the routine homework, my philosophy was, "The sooner I get this done, the more time I will have to do what I want to do" - and so I rushed through my homework, completing it on the bumpy bus ride home, and turning in some horribly written assignments!

If there's no deadline, I tend to wait on a project until I have it all figured out. So, for large home projects (build a patio covering, install an attic door, etc.), I will do nothing for months and then one day I wake up and I have the whole plan in my head, and I work on it every spare moment and will all my energy until it's done.

I like to cross off tasks (projects) from my to-do ASAP. So I tend to dive in and get the work done ........ at work. At home it’s another story. I tend to be so exhausted mentally when I get home that the dishes may not get washed and the clean clothes may not get folded. I have found that I have to discuss it with myself on the drive home to convince myself that part of my regroup mentally is the tasks that wait for me at home. I can normally bribe myself with a beer and some back-porch sitting for getting my work at home done. The bribe doesn’t always work. : ).

Yes, there are a lot of tasks that I won't do or won't get round to doing unless I'm under pressure - things like household chores. But I have another way of thinking that says: the task is like a heavy cloud hanging over my head and until I get it done, I'm anxious, stressed out by it and not free, so if I want to be free, I must do it. So I do it, in order to be free.

Yes, there are a lot of tasks that I won't do or won't get round to doing unless I'm under pressure - things like household chores. But I have another way of thinking that says: the task is like a heavy cloud hanging over my head and until I get it done, I'm anxious, stressed out by it and not free, so if I want to be free, I must do it. So I do it, in order to be free.

That is what I do also. I do a lot of tasks because I want my freedom. I hate having things hanging over my head.

No, I get on with my work to get it all over and done with so I can get on with the next task.

I'm organised like that :D

(Yeah right, most people know I couldn't organise a social gathering in a Brewery lol)

New Threads

Top Bottom