• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do things like cosmetic blemishes with your stuff bothers you?

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friend's
V.I.P Member
What I am talking about is stuff you own? Example my glasses when they get one little scratch on them it bothers me to the point where I want to get them replaced. Also my cat scratched my Sony Bravia Anroid TV screen which still irritates me. You can still see out of it and only see the scratches in the light close up but it still bothers me to the point I want to replace the TV. I also tried those dumb fixes using toothpaste and other abrasions and they don't work.

Luckily my phone which is easy to prevent scratches I put it in an case and glass screen protector so it is still in mint condition.

I am just asking if this is a ASD thing or do things like this bother others too?

Absolutely. Though personally I'm apt to attribute such things more to my OCD than ASD.

Just seeing dust on my car dash LCD screen drives me nuts at times. :rolleyes:

I can often leave my autism at the door- but my OCD follows me everywhere. :oops:

Last edited:
Anyone bothered by stuff like that would have a fit if walking into my room.

Allow me to grace you with a quick photo of what I can see from where I am currently sitting:

desk.jpg

What you cant see, due to it blazing with the light of a thousand stars, is the random splotches on the monitor.

I thought of taking a photo of the room as a whole, but that'd be too much. I dont want to hurt anyone.

Anyway alot of the stuff I own is like that. More than a little beat up. I tend to use things until they fall apart (often literally) and with me around, that doesnt take all that long.

You should see what happens to a hotel room after I've been in it for a few hours.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 0
What I am talking about is stuff you own? Example my glasses when they get one little scratch on them it bothers me to the point where I want to get them replaced. Also my cat scratched my Sony Bravia Anroid TV screen which still irritates me. You can still see out of it and only see the scratches in the light close up but it still bothers me to the point I want to replace the TV. I also tried those dumb fixes using toothpaste and other abrasions and they don't work.

Luckily my phone which is easy to prevent scratches I put it in an case and glass screen protector so it is still in mint condition.

I am just asking if this is a ASD thing or do things like this bother others too?

Yes, this is what it is like for me. When I see a scratch or blemish I cannot not see it and sometimes it does not feel right to keep the thing that way. I had a wonderful experience polishing all the scratches out of a glass cover for an antique durometer that was made in the 1960s. When I was finished it was perfectly clear and silky smooth to the touch. I think as aspies our brains focus on details. It can be very uncomfortable. Maybe it also feels good sometimes.

Allow me to grace you with a quick photo of what I can see from where I am currently sitting:

View attachment 57442

What you cant see, due to it blazing with the light of a thousand stars, is the random splotches on the monitor.

I thought of taking a photo of the room as a whole, but that'd be too much. I dont want to hurt anyone.

Anyway alot of the stuff I own is like that. More than a little beat up. I tend to use things until they fall apart (often literally) and with me around, that doesnt take all that long.

You should see what happens to a hotel room after I've been in it for a few hours.

I like your photo very much. Everything looks like it is part of a person's life, like things from a family. It makes me smile :)

View attachment 57442

I am looking at the photo again. I really love it! Poptart wrappers, Goldfish crackers, everything looks like the person who lives there is home, feels comfortable. I think that is wonderful.

No. Not unless it affects the functionality of the item. A small scratch on my laptop case would likely not bother me too much, but I don't want to see a scratch on one of my records :)

My house is full of clutter and pretty much all of my things show signs of wear and tear. It doesn’t bother me much. To use an euphemism, it’s the result of enthusiastic living. And cats.

I think it is OCD.
Yes, I am the same. If some little thing no one else would probably even notice is not right,
I notice it. Little imperfections happen and I feel very upset.
If something is out of alignment, tilted picture or objects not symetrical, nope, got to fix it.
A small spot or loose thread on clothes. Glasses not sitting exact, etc. Goes on and on.
Notice every little thing...oh, my, there is a small mark on the car that wasn't there last time I washed it!
:eek:

Yes, this is what it is like for me. When I see a scratch or blemish I cannot not see it and sometimes it does not feel right to keep the thing that way. I had a wonderful experience polishing all the scratches out of a glass cover for an antique durometer that was made in the 1960s. When I was finished it was perfectly clear and silky smooth to the touch. I think as aspies our brains focus on details. It can be very uncomfortable. Maybe it also feels good sometimes.
98094FBE-7FD6-4990-B7E9-E4F8112F1271.jpeg
Does it look like this? I didn’t know what one would look like in the 1960s

Nope, which is lucky as I don't tend to treat my possessions very gently, and I have a cat who loves scratching things and knocking things over.

However if my glasses were scratched I would have to get them replaced as I need to be able to see clearly and even a speck of dirt on my glasses distracts my vision. A scratch constantly hovering directly in front of my eye is very different from a scratch on my car.

Unless it affects the functionality of said thing, the answer is usually no. There's a minor crack on my car windshield as a good example, and the car as a whole runs absolutely fine.

Cleanliness and perfection are an OCD type of trait, though arguments can be made for those to cross over into "desire for order and familiarity" of ASD. The traits don't apply to everyone and are just general rules.
Cosmetic blemishes don't bother me except on some stuff that I consider sentimentally precious to me.

I see it as more OCD then ASD. An Aspie is just as likely to develop a empathetic personifying attachment to the object and try and keep it forever. The idea of it being cast out for its imperfection a heart breaking thought.

island-of-misfit-toys.gif

View attachment 57442

You know, that'd make an interesting thread to post a picture of your surroundings when you're here. :)

I can deal with it - if it's bad enough to bother me, I'm pretty good at finding a way to cover it up or hide it. :)

What, you mean like a "post your room/house" sort of thread?
Like what you just did by posting a picture of your desk where you were sitting. It'd be fun to see a picture from others of where they're sitting.

New Threads

Top Bottom