• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do sensory issues get worse with age?

Wireless

Edit: I think my post title would be more accurate as Do sensory issues change over time?

I think that I've become more sensitive to clothing over the years. I used to be able to wear jeans and other rough textures without issue, although I found some of the woolly jumpers my Nan knitted for me to be too ticklely. I could also found tight clothing comfortable.
But, now jeans, tight clothing, bras and rough textures annoy me immensely to the point where I will be irritable until I change into softer, baggy clothing.
There could be a number for reasons for this. Puberty must be a big one - I have never had to wear bras as a child and I'm always more sensitive during PMS.

What has your experience been? Have your sensory issues changed at all over time?
Thanks

Last edited:
It changed with different phases in my life, and with moods. I am currently hyper sensitive to noise now which used to only bother me slightly. I also have become very particular about the feel of clothing. I have learned that things change and so I just adapt and ride out whatever, but have no expectations.

I enjoy silence more than I ever thought I would, and total darkness. I seem more sensitive to sunlight now and high frequency sounds give me a headache. As Peace said, you learn that things change and adapt accordingly.

Hormones! GAH! :eek: The wacky hormonal rollercoaster ride of MentalPause has made my nerdy-fussy-cranky sensory sensitivities increase. If there's a fold in my sock, I feel like I'm gonna go supernova! :tonguewink:

There's a plaque I want to get for my apartment:

I'm in my mid-20s, so still relatively young but I can give a solid yes to this from my experience.

I'm definitely a lot more sensitive to sounds and smells than I ever was before. I feel like my body is physically becoming more sensitive. For example, I've developed a weird tinnitus/static-like pain in my left ear when sounds are too loud that I never had when I was younger. I also am quicker to have allergic reactions to things.

Another difference for me is the time of day. At night, I am much more susceptible to light sensitivities (which can trigger migraines) and allergies.

Yes, I'm 44 and I've noticed that I'm a lot more sensitive to sound and light, but I no longer totally freak out at sudden loud noises as I did whan I was a kid.

I seem to have gotten even more sensitive to noise, especially low frequencies or very high pitched ones. I can only wear loose fitting clothing which must be 100% cotton or well worn because most textures seem to irritate my skin unduly. I also find that certain aromas cause headaches, such as fabric softener or synthetic scents.

Yes I am also more sensitive to touch, light and sound, smells have always been a trigger for me. For example yesterday before my chore of food shopping I said to myself, "blast it!, who cares what it looks like I'm wearing my sweats & painter's pants to the store." Recently I had my long hair cut off because it was too annoying.

Mine shifted from internal to external sensitivities as I grew up. As a kid, I was a really picky eater, but I didn't really have anything antagonizing my sense of touch, sight, or hearing. Then as a teen, I gained a broad diet, and then couldn't stand being touched, bright lights, loud noises, or especially bad smells. Some of those are getting progressively worse too.

Oh yes, bad smells. I remember one day I was boarding the bus behind this woman in a wheelchair. A really horrific smell wafted backward, into my face. By the time I reached my destination, I was almost in tears from it. I felt like it was all over me like a cobweb.

My sensory issues have gotten worse over time, as I have gotten further into my 20s. My skin gets irritated easily these days, so there is only a small variety of clothing that I can wear, usually if it's made of cotton. Cotton truly is "the fabric of our lives" as the commercial goes.

I have also become much more sensitive to sound. Pots and pans make the absolute worst sounds, and even the TV being up at too high of a volume is enough to bother me.

I think as I get older my senses seem to become over loaded a lot faster. I was always sensitive to tight clothing and noises. My sensitivity to noise has a lot become worse. I have a sensitivity to certain color eyes. These colors make me cringe. It is almost painful. I guess that is what I get for trying to look at people more. I have always liked when things are quite. I had a hard time in school when the classroom would get loud.

I was more sensitive as a child to textures and lights. I've become sort of dead to it. I still catch myself quivering or "acting out" when I get hit with raindrops or my glasses slide on my face etc, and I have tremendous shut downs under bad lighting occasionally, but it's become something that I hit the off switch on. However, I'm also way less intent on winning people over then I used to be and I avoid a lot of sensory things that bother me (ambient noise, flourescents, etc) just by not being as concerned with my reputation haha.
The one thing I've noticed though is I immediately get way more sensitive to little noises, disruptions in my routine, etc if I'm off of work for more than a week, and also I tend to be worse in the winter. Maybe it is hormonal.

I definitely feel this is the case. I think my sensitivities increased with increased stress and fluctuating hormones, starting in high school. As a child I had a relatively quiet, undemanding home life, with lots of routine so very low-stress, and it was easier to tolerate certain sensory issues and concentrate on responding normally. But with age and increased stress / responsibility, I find myself limited in my ability to deal with smaller stressors, especially emotional or sensory stressors.

Clothing sensitivities change very frequently for me, which is very maddening because I don't have a budget which can support regular clothing purchases. I hate spending money on something which is comfortable one week and then unbearable the next. As a child, my clothing sensitivities were present but stable and predictable. Especially no jeans. But now I don't know what I can tolerate from one day to the next.

Have also gotten more sensitive to light and sound. Smells I have always found to be nauseating, although there were a few I could enjoy as a younger person. I used to be more picky toward food than I am now, though. As someone else mentioned, some colors make me ill, but which colors these are also changes over time...

I used to love a Japanese Cherry Blossom perfume. As I got older, I started to not be able to wear it. It isn't that it is bad; it still smells good, but it is completely overwhelming.

Mine have changed somewhat. I've always had some tactile sensitivity, like hating wool, shoes and clothing tags, as a kid, but the non-tolerance of anything touching my palms is new. I also could once pass by the cleaning/air freshener aisle or someone who's bathed in perfume (probably) without having to hold my breath and making a variety of anti-social faces :fearscream::tired::confounded::dizzy:
though stinky people in places I can't readily escape have always been somewhat traumatic.
I also recently acquired the amazing ability to be nauseated by busy patterns and stripes, especially when involving black and white or stark colors.

My sensitivity to sound and light have become much worse over the last seven years. This may be due to age or to quitting smoking. Apparently nicotine helps with sensory gating.

My sensory issues really have not changed, one way or the other, over the years. I am still sensitive to the same things that I have always been sensitive too. However, they do not bother me as much as they did when I was young. I think that it is just a matter of getting used to them.

Edit: I think my post title would be more accurate as Do sensory issues change over time?

I think that I've become more sensitive to clothing over the years. I used to be able to wear jeans and other rough textures without issue, although I found some of the woolly jumpers my Nan knitted for me to be too ticklely. I could also found tight clothing comfortable.
But, now jeans, tight clothing, bras and rough textures annoy me immensely to the point where I will be irritable until I change into softer, baggy clothing.
There could be a number for reasons for this. Puberty must be a big one - I have never had to wear bras as a child and I'm always more sensitive during PMS.

What has your experience been? Have your sensory issues changed at all over time?
Thanks

Myself, it seems that sensory issues get worse with age. I have noticed that over the past year.

About 5 years ago I bought a pair of sandals with ridges in them. The first summer I wore them, I found them a bit uncomfortable and couldn't walk very far with them, but I wore them on occasion. The next summer, I tried to wear them, I couldn't stand them, I couldn't wear them at all - they were so painful to wear. I couldn't understand how I managed to wear them the first summer at all. Proof that sensitivities can change over time.

New Threads

Top Bottom