• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do movie theaters in your area offer sensory showings?

One thing that has really changed in my area is that almost every movie theater now offers sensory showings of the major movies. This wasn't the case a few years ago, and we also saw the theatrical play for The Lion King as a sensory showing last year.

When we first started going to the sensory movies, we were worried because sometimes we would be the only ones there, and we desperately wanted the theater to continue the option. Now that the word has gotten around, many of the showings are completely full.

We really enjoy going to the showings because my son can just be himself. He isn't a disruptive fellow at all, but his noises and stimming wouldn't be appropriate for a regular movie that people paid good money to attend.

What are your experiences with sensory showings at movie theaters?

To be honest, it's the first time I heard about these. What exactly is the difference between sensory showings and typical movies?

To be honest, it's the first time I heard about these. What exactly is the difference between sensory showings and typical movies?

What I found on theater chain websites was that they raise the house lights and turn down the sound, are more flexible about people bringing in outside food, and more flexible about viewers talking or moving around.

What I found on theater chain websites was that they raise the house lights and turn down the sound, are more flexible about people bringing in outside food, and more flexible about viewers talking or moving around.

Yes, the lights only dim a little so that anyone can safely roam, the sound is softer, outside food is allowed, and viewers can make noise and move around. There are usually ushers in the theater to provide assistance, sometimes the manager or special-needs-advocate will speak to the audience before the showing, and sometimes there is an information booth outside of the theater. Some children will watch the movie up close to the screen.

It has been my experience that everyone is extremely friendly and tolerant of disturbances because we are all so thankful to have this opportunity.

That's amazing!! What state do you live in? You'd think LA would have things like this, maybe I'm just oblivious to it. :confused:

The Cobb theatre chain has had sensory friendly showings for about a year now.
I think it is a good thing and is catching on.

(Insert miscellaneous Midwestern rural area here)

Our little fellow loves to go on car rides and look out the window so we will drive to various different towns and movie theaters when they have sensory showings. From my experience, you have to seek out the sensory showings, either on the theaters' websites or Facebook pages, e-mail newsletters, etc. Some of the theaters will have a sign in the lobby somewhere, but it usually isn't very prominent.

That's why I was only curious about the state! ;)

Hehe, of course. ;)

I have been really curious about this because it is something that has gone from bust to boom in my area in the last few years and I wanted to know if others had similar experiences...or even different options. There haven't been too many responses so perhaps it isn't that widespread yet?

I was also thinking that if others wanted to have such options, knowing about this could give them the idea to talk to their local theater.

When my wife and I met, the shared love of going to the movies was a big deal to us. Then when we started having children, it ground to a screeching halt. My first child had severe colic and was generally a very challenging and difficult child...still is...then we had a special needs son...and we wondered if we would ever get to go to a movie again...but the sensory showing has allowed us to see several movies a year, up from our previous zero to 1, lol.

Well gosh darn, will ya look at that! I finally decided to google it and they're everywhere!

AMC theatres, where I WORKED for goodness sake, is partnered with the Autism Society and show family-friendly films on the second and fourth Saturdays of every month and mature films every Tuesday. Participating theaters including way too many to paste here, but the place with two-three times more than anyone else is... LOS ANGELES lol!

Pretty much every theater within driving distance has them. :eek::eek::eek: This is what happens when you never go outside! :mad:

Thank you very much for making the thread and for commenting enough that I was exposed to the thread enough times to finally do something about it. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom