• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do MLM on the spectrum have better chances of intimacy than their heterosexual counterparts?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I'm curious if this might be true. The reason I suspect this is because I've seen many MLM members of this forum make references to having sex or being in romantic relationships. I myself had 2 sexual encounters when I was 14, though I did not lose my virginity for reasons I won't go into to keep our ads up.

I think this might happen because men think alike, so they (if both are attracted to the same gender) might have a better chance of entering a sexual/romantic relationship regardless of their neurology. Though I must admit this is just speculation since I have not seen any studies that indicate this.

I'm also curious if what I'm suggesting might also apply to WLW on the spectrum. I'd be interesting in seeing information about that as well.

I'm curious if this might be true. The reason I suspect this is because I've seen many MLM members of this forum make references to having sex or being in romantic relationships.

Wait, the answer to being in relationships is to engage in multi-level-marketing?
I never got into the whole Tupperware party thing so I guess that's why I'm missing out... :D

Wait, the answer to being in relationships is to engage in multi-level-marketing?
I never got into the whole Tupperware party thing so I guess that's why I'm missing out... :D
MLM = Men who love men.

It's just a catchall for gay and bisexual men.

I'm curious if this might be true. The reason I suspect this is because I've seen many MLM members of this forum make references to having sex or being in romantic relationships. I myself had 2 sexual encounters when I was 14, though I did not lose my virginity for reasons I won't go into to keep our ads up.

I think this might happen because men think alike, so they (if both are attracted to the same gender) might have a better chance of entering a sexual/romantic relationship regardless of their neurology. Though I must admit this is just speculation since I have not seen any studies that indicate this.

I'm also curious if what I'm suggesting might also apply to WLW on the spectrum. I'd be interesting in seeing information about that as well.

Alright, you want a study, here you go:

Dr. Byers et al. said:
Of the 129 participants, 53 (41 %) reported that they had never been in a romantic relationship of 3 months or longer(no relationship experience group) and 76 (59 %) reported that they were not currently in a romantic relationship but had been in at least one in the past (relationship experience group)... Follow-up ANOVAs indicated that the groups differed on gender, age, and sexual identity but not on their sexual attraction, education, religiosity, employment status, ASD symptomatology, or psychological symptomatology. Participants in the no relationship experience group were significantly more likely to be male (36 % female vs. 64 % male) whereas participants in the relationship experience group were significantly more likely to be female (64 % female vs. 36 % male). In addition, participants in the no relationship experience group were significantly younger (Mage=30.0 vs. 38.8) and more likely to identify as heterosexual (70 vs. 50 %).
We found that individuals with relationship experience were more likely to identify as a sexual minority. The reasons for this are not clear. It is possible that sexual minority individuals with HFA/AS find it easier to find a romantic partner. If so, this appears to be due to their sexual identity rather than their sexual attraction because the two groups did not differ in their level of attraction to same-sex versus other-sex individuals.
Qualitative research is needed to fully understand how individuals with HFA/AS arrive at their sexual identity, and how this affects their involvement in romantic relationships

Byers, E. S., Nichols, S., & Voyer, S. D. (2013). Challenging stereotypes: Sexual functioning of single adults with high functioning autism spectrum disorder. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 43(11), 2617-2627.

I'm gay and nonbinary in a relationship with another nonbinary person. I wonder if the effect you perceived occurs because minority sexualities may tend to have to find specific places and ways to meet partners apart from just bumping in to them at work or a party, so it already potentially suits non socially minded people better?

I wonder if the effect you perceived occurs because minority sexualities may tend to have to find specific places and ways to meet partners apart from just bumping in to them at work or a party, so it already potentially suits non socially minded people better?
That also makes sense.

I'm gay and nonbinary in a relationship with another nonbinary person. I wonder if the effect you perceived occurs because minority sexualities may tend to have to find specific places and ways to meet partners apart from just bumping in to them at work or a party, so it already potentially suits non socially minded people better?

Heterosexual men also are still expected, even pressured to always make the first move when it comes to courtship while women generally can take the passive role. Sure, there are some women who make the first move but it is rare, especially where I live because traditions are strong despite how it’s not an Amish community. Why is it rare? Well, women often get hazed or worse if they attempt to defy gender roles, sometimes being called “stuck up” or considered “lesbians” or something else that is ridiculous. Men in the culture I live in tend to be very aggressive so they don’t hesitate to approach women while men like me are very shy and often sit on the sidelines so to say hoping maybe a more assertive woman will approach us.

You are also correct that there are places for sexual minorities to meet. There are even specific sexual minority clubs. For example, I’ve seen a club in Austin called The Iron Bear and it caters mainly to gay or bisexual men who are either muscular or chubby but always hairy and masculine since that’s the common theme for the bear community. There really are no clubs in a like manner for heterosexuals, they just meet practically everywhere unless they are in the boat I am in. Shy individuals are still misunderstood and even shunned where I am from.

Side notes: My mother actually thinks bisexuality isn’t real. She thinks you are either heterosexual or homosexual.

I have some LGBT cousins and I remember one of them posting advocacy for children with special needs. Are there more LGBT people who do this? I also consider myself to be an ally of the LGBT community.

Last edited:
^Gender roles are one thing that i will never understand. They're very strong where i live too and think part of the reason i don't like the idea of a relationship with a man is because they basically see women as hypercompetent housewifes and mothers.

I don't even mention the fact that i don't want kids to anyone because they just look at me like i said i was a terrorist or something.

^Gender roles are one thing that i will never understand. They're very strong where i live too and think part of the reason i don't like the idea of a relationship with a man is because they basically see women as hypercompetent housewifes and mothers.

I don't even mention the fact that i don't want kids to anyone because they just look at me like i said i was a terrorist or something.

I totally agree on gender roles. They are outdated and are basically arbitrary. Where do you live? I definitely don’t see women as potential housewives and mothers. I want an equal partner/team member which is how a partnership should be.

I am uncertain on having children.

I totally agree on gender roles. They are outdated and are basically arbitrary. Where do you live? I definitely don’t see women as potential housewives and mothers. I want an equal partner/team member which is how a partnership should be.

I am uncertain on having children.

I know, the western world is a lot better in this aspect.
I am from eastern Europe. Everything's very backwards in regards to both sexism and disability/mental health issues.

Heterosexual men also are still expected, even pressured to always make the first move when it comes to courtship while women generally can take the passive role. Sure, there are some women who make the first move but it is rare, especially where I live because traditions are strong despite how it’s not an Amish community. Why is it rare? Well, women often get hazed or worse if they attempt to defy gender roles, sometimes being called “stuck up” or considered “lesbians” or something else that is ridiculous. Men in the culture I live in tend to be very aggressive so they don’t hesitate to approach women while men like me are very shy and often sit on the sidelines so to say hoping maybe a more assertive woman will approach us.

You are also correct that there are places for sexual minorities to meet. There are even specific sexual minority clubs. For example, I’ve seen a club in Austin called The Iron Bear and it caters mainly to gay or bisexual men who are either muscular or chubby but always hairy and masculine since that’s the common theme for the bear community. There really are no clubs in a like manner for heterosexuals, they just meet practically everywhere unless they are in the boat I am in. Shy individuals are still misunderstood and even shunned where I am from.

Side notes: My mother actually thinks bisexuality isn’t real. She thinks you are either heterosexual or homosexual.

I have some LGBT cousins and I remember one of them posting advocacy for children with special needs. Are there more LGBT people who do this? I also consider myself to be an ally of the LGBT community.

i am too.

I can share about my experience. I am as you call WLW. I met my girlfriend in a lgbt night club. Before understanding and accepting that i am attracted to women, i would flirt and go out with men. I am more assertive so i would do the first move . I am both extrovert and introvert as a person. But what flirting concerns, i am an extrovert.
I agree that minority places offer chances to meet other minorities.

New Threads

Top Bottom