• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I have autism?

Mister Anonymity

I've had trouble in the past understanding people and trying to interact with neurotypicals. It sounds like I have autism.

1. I get angry at perceived insults especially from my family. The police had to be called a few times.
  2. I have obsessive interests that I can't stop talking about
  3. I have barely any social skills (I can't read body language very well which gets me in trouble.)
  4. I've been bullied in grade school by my peers which led to me hiding myself behind the portable classrooms and cowering in fear from the school administrator's wrath.
  5. I'm very intelligent and articulate when it comes to my obsessive interests or my educational background.
  6. I'm single and living with my parents
  7. I'm not athletic so I enjoy literature and music.
  8. I often have to repeat myself verbally in order to understand something, which frustrates many of the people I deal with.
  9. I've spent my whole life trying to fit in, but I've failed miserably everytime.
  10. I've been discreetly bullied to the point that I've gotten in trouble and my abusers got off scott free.
Does it seem like I'm autistic? If so, how do I mitigate the effects of my problematic behavior? I need help.

We can't give a diagnosis, you're going to have to see a Medical Professional for that, namely one who focuses on Autism exclusively.

Isadoorian has given you good advice. Since you've said that you're troubled by your behavior and your life challenges and that you need help, I agree that you should seek out an autism specific therapist to discuss the issues you've struggled with and see where that goes. If you can't find any online, try looking up the autism society in your state and see if they have any referral links.

In the meantime, hang out here, read and post. It's certainly not a requisite that you have to have autism to participate in this forum.

Welcome.

Actually, he didn't ask for a diagnosis. He asked if he "seems" autistic. He rather does "seem" that way. He also asked for help with these problematic behaviors, a request which has nothing to do with a diagnosis. I just hope this thread doesn't get filled with people repeating that we are not medical professionals and we are not capable of diagnosing someone over the internet.

Actually, he didn't ask for a diagnosis. He asked if he "seems" autistic. He rather does "seem" that way. He also asked for help with these problematic behaviors, a request which has nothing to do with a diagnosis. I just hope this thread doesn't get filled with people repeating that we are not medical professionals and we are not capable of diagnosing someone over the internet.

I was going by the title of his post where he asks if he has autism. I took that as asking for a diagnosis.

Hi. What you describe are indeed problems that people with ASD face everyday. Sometimes we misinterpret people and they also misinterpret us. Learning to understand the behavior of the people you know can be helpful to react in the best way posible (that is, making your life easier).
I agree with the idea of going to therapy, so you can get the help you need. :)

You could have BPD, or ASPD. You could be a Narcissist. You could be autistic. There is no telling by that; I suggest go and get yourself checked out straightway so you can make life a little easier. Good luck; it should hopefully do you a lot of good and you can start seeing things turn round right again.

Although we can't diagnose you over the internet, what you've described could certainly be due to autism. A good therapist would be helpful, but it can be hard to find one who understands autism, especially in adults. I had to rely on self-diagnosis and a lot of googling for years before I got lucky enough to find someone who knew what they were doing. If you can find one, they are very helpful. Alternatively, you might find a therapist who doesn't specialize in autism but is willing to listen. In that case, it's helpful to do some research in advance so you're prepared to discuss everything you think might be relevant.

Even if you don't go the therapist route, you might find some helpful advice from people with similar experiences. You can probably find some threads on here where people discuss similar issues as the ones you've described, which might contain some helpful advice. I wish I could give more specific advice, but without knowing more about you and the people you're interacting with, it's hard to do that accurately. If you were my client (I'm autistic, and I work with a lot of autistic clients), we might analyze the situation together, identify where things are going wrong, and find practical strategies to change the pattern of the problem, such as creating a script to clarify whether you've actually been insulted before it escalates into someone calling the police, or practicing recognizing and advocating for your needs for things like repeating yourself to understand.

Sometimes the most helpful thing is to do your own research. Books and blogs written by adults on the spectrum can be helpful, even if you aren't sure whether you're actually autistic. Sometimes similar strategies can be helpful for similar problems, regardless of whether you have a diagnosis. You'll probably find people with similar experiences, although having a qualified professional to help is extremely useful for applying what you learn to your own life. Personally, I started with the book Living Well on the Spectrum, which I did discuss with a professional but also did a lot of work independently. It provides some nice insights into common differences in autistic thinking and provides a framework and examples for identifying problems, setting goals for things you want to change, and considering different possible solutions. It doesn't solve everything, but it was a nice place for me to start.

I hope you find the help you're looking for!

While I can't say yes or no, from your description, I can say that it's very possible you could be autistic. If you are really concerned about it and can afford it, go and see a psychiatrist that specializes in autism. Also, stick around here. There's plenty of friendly people and useful information to be found. Hope to see you again in the chatroom!

There's online assessments you could do and from there, decide if you wish to pursue a formal diagnosis. It's best to work out what you hope to get from a diagnosis and work out if there's any areas you may wish to improve upon to see if it makes day to day life easier, or communication less daunting or frustrating.

Ed

Welcome to AF.

Stick around. Do a lot of reading here and try to interact with us, to possibly give you a better understanding of autistic people and how our traits and behaviors may or may not reflect yours.

Have you discussed your concerns with your parents. It's likely your parents, doctor or school had concerns when you were a kid. If so, what happened. I recently heard about a adult who had been diagnosed when little and was never told. They want to tell him but he seems negative about the idea he might be ASD.

There's online assessments you could do and from there, decide if you wish to pursue a formal diagnosis. It's best to work out what you hope to get from a diagnosis and work out if there's any areas you may wish to improve upon to see if it makes day to day life easier, or communication less daunting or frustrating.

Ed

This is a good suggestion about where to start. There are online tests for all kinds of things and it might be more than one thing.

Then there are also online suggestions for also sorts of general things.

A lot of us here ( and everywhere, no doubt) are self- diagnosed and the many online tests will help you with that, as they did me. I think there are several threads here with links to such self-tests, in the archives etc. I am quite certain I'm on the spectrum and see no need to get officially diagnosed. Well actually a psychiatrist suggested that diagnosis to me years ago but i wasnt open to hearing it then. At any rate, If the shoe fits... and, yes you sound like you too may belong here, so welcome. As far as help, learning that my my brain was actually wired differently was half the battle.

Autistic people tend to end up with difficult experiences so sometimes it can be hard to detangle what characteristics of behavior might be due to autism or something else. One common differential diagnosis is borderline personality disorder which if you haven’t already I’d go check that out. Also try to remember if you were the same all your life or if these things you are experiencing developed/ got worse as you got older. You can ask your parents as well. Really though it’s a deeply personal thing though trying to decipher these sorts of things and looking for the truth. Also everyone on the spectrum is different. So while there are some things you mentioned that I don’t Personally relate to, I’d continue to pursue trying to determine if you might be autistic. It could very well be the case. The list you gave is a bit short and the thing is really anyone can have all of those and not be autistic but also you are here for a reason - you’ve likely read other posts and feel like they sound like you. The first post I made is similar to yours. I remember it felt odd inviting myself into a community without asking if I could join - if I “seemed autistic”. Stick around do some more reading. There are online tests that are actually pretty helpful. After I did those things I felt sure I was autistic after a while and went to get an evaluation to make it official.

I've had trouble in the past understanding people and trying to interact with neurotypicals. It sounds like I have autism.

1. I get angry at perceived insults especially from my family. The police had to be called a few times.
  2. I have obsessive interests that I can't stop talking about
  3. I have barely any social skills (I can't read body language very well which gets me in trouble.)
  4. I've been bullied in grade school by my peers which led to me hiding myself behind the portable classrooms and cowering in fear from the school administrator's wrath.
  5. I'm very intelligent and articulate when it comes to my obsessive interests or my educational background.
  6. I'm single and living with my parents
  7. I'm not athletic so I enjoy literature and music.
  8. I often have to repeat myself verbally in order to understand something, which frustrates many of the people I deal with.
  9. I've spent my whole life trying to fit in, but I've failed miserably everytime.
  10. I've been discreetly bullied to the point that I've gotten in trouble and my abusers got off scott free.
Does it seem like I'm autistic? If so, how do I mitigate the effects of my problematic behavior? I need help.
Sounds like it's possible, but Know this NO one can diagnose you with autism through the internet. Even self-tests are limited in some ways.

Have you discussed your concerns with your parents. It's likely your parents, doctor or school had concerns when you were a kid. If so, what happened. I recently heard about a adult who had been diagnosed when little and was never told. They want to tell him but he seems negative about the idea he might be ASD.
My mother thought I was autistic because as a baby I was always quiet. I never cried except occasionally. My teachers in elementary school thought there was something wrong with me. Eventually I was sent to a childhood psychiatric institute to test me for autism, outpatient section. They gave me the diagnosis closest to autism: Schizoid Personality Disorder. Schizoid people are very rational, calm, collected and lucid. They don't suffer auditory or visual hallucinations or any of the delusions that schizophrenics or schizoaffectives or schizotypals suffer. Schizoids are very lucid and rational, but they don't enjoy being part of a family or having sexual relations (asexual). They have a limited range of interests and they mostly keep to themselves. By the time I got to the adult counselling institute, a psychologist thought that I had autism, and he suggested I get tested for autism. Since then, I don't think I'm schizoid anymore. I think I am autistic. I think I was given the wrong diagnosis. I think I'm autistic, maybe even Aspergers Syndrome.

New Threads

Top Bottom