• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I have ADHD?

InfinityRose

Focusing has been a problem for me for a long time now. Whenever I try to focus on doing an assignment or studying for a class, I get so easily distracted it's not even funny. It seriously took me over 4 hours one night to finish a simple worksheet that was only one page, double sided. I just couldn't stop thinking about my obsessions and forgetting what I was supposed to do.

While I did have some minor issues like this in childhood, it's gotten a lot worse lately, specifically around the beginning of the last school year. This is when I started taking some very difficult classes. I received my first C ever, despite working constantly, and I think part of me started to give up. I stopped feeling passion for my schoolwork, and accepted my grades (in the difficult classes, at least) so long as it meant I passed, when before nothing less than an A was acceptable in my eyes.

I should also mention that I have OCD, and that my symptoms have been flaring up a bit lately, which could also be playing a role in all this. Does anyone think that ADHD might be the culprit, or am I just burnt out?

Stress? Depression? Both will mess up concentration. And if you do have a bit of ADHD it will make it a lot worse.

There's a lot of overlap between ASD and ADHD.

I think some things that may indicate ADHD;

Messy.
Almost always late.
Start talking and can't stop.
RSD (most people with ADHD have this, and it's awful)https://www.additudemag.com/rejection-sensitive-dysphoria-how-to-treat-it-alongside-adhd/
Prone to missing details.
Sensitive to gluten/dairy.
50 - 100 Chrome tabs open :)
Sometimes HAVE to multitask to get a job done.
Sometimes NEED someone in the room while working (body double).

Messy.
Almost always late.
RSD (most people with ADHD have this, and it's awful)https://www.additudemag.com/rejection-sensitive-dysphoria-how-to-treat-it-alongside-adhd/

I do believe RSD is something I have. ADHD, no, but the RSD thing rings so true. Could have been written about me.

I do believe RSD is something I have. ADHD, no, but the RSD thing rings so true. Could have been written about me.

It's vile isn't it, but at least we know it's not real.

Helps me deal with the past too, but still lost plenty of friends through it.

Messy.
Almost always late.

Hmm, I'd say most of these things apply to me, but not all.

Messy? Definitely

Almost always late? Yep

Start talking and can't stop? Eh, it depends. Most of the time I'm really quiet, but when I get around someone I know well and the topic at hand is of interest, then yes.

Prone to missing details? I'd actually say I'm pretty good at recognizing details, sometimes to the point of obsession. But then again, I know that I make a lot of errors, say, when completing a long math equation, usually because I overlook something important. But, I don't like math so I guess it depends on how important/interesting I find the details in question.

RSD? Well, this is the first I've ever heard about it, but a lot of it does sound kind of like me...

Sensitive to dairy/gluten? None that I've noticed

50-100 Chrome tabs open? YES

Needing to multitask? Actually, I'm horrible at multitasking. I do best when concentrating on one thing at a time.

Sometimes NEED someone in the room while working (body double)? Oh my God, so much. If I try to do anything long winded or important without someone else in the room making sure I'm staying on task, I'm doomed.

Thank you for your post. It's very informative. :)

Last edited:
An ADHD diagnosis (at least a proper one!) would require a full out assessment. Never trust a doctor who diagnoses you after you fill out a quiz in their office. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental 'disorder', even though it's often treated like every hyper inattentive kid has it these days.

One key requirement for diagnosis is that it begins in early childhood and persists, so it sounds more like it's your aspergers that is giving you problems. :) I struggle with that too, and get distracted by my obsessions, and I'm diagnosed ADHD and take medication for it. The medication works wonders, life changing in fact, but it still doesn't work well enough to keep my focus away from my obsessions haha.

You mentioned it has gotten worse in the past year. Do you think it could be more related to sensory overload? When I study, even with my meds, lots of the time I need to have ear plugs in and my surroundings need to be calm, or I struggle. I also know that in times of stress (and there are lots with school) that it really worsens my sensory processing issues, anxiety and other things that get in the way of focus.

Also, there are definitely symptoms in ADHD and ASD that overlap.

If you have struggled this way for your whole life since childhood, it might be a good idea to ask for an assessment. I've heard of ADHD meds making a big difference for ASD people even when they aren't ADHD.

An ADHD diagnosis (at least a proper one!) would require a full out assessment. Never trust a doctor who diagnoses you after you fill out a quiz in their office. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental 'disorder', even though it's often treated like every hyper inattentive kid has it these days.

One key requirement for diagnosis is that it begins in early childhood and persists, so it sounds more like it's your aspergers that is giving you problems. :) I struggle with that too, and get distracted by my obsessions, and I'm diagnosed ADHD and take medication for it. The medication works wonders, life changing in fact, but it still doesn't work well enough to keep my focus away from my obsessions haha.

You mentioned it has gotten worse in the past year. Do you think it could be more related to sensory overload? When I study, even with my meds, lots of the time I need to have ear plugs in and my surroundings need to be calm, or I struggle. I also know that in times of stress (and there are lots with school) that it really worsens my sensory processing issues, anxiety and other things that get in the way of focus.

Also, there are definitely symptoms in ADHD and ASD that overlap.

If you have struggled this way for your whole life since childhood, it might be a good idea to ask for an assessment. I've heard of ADHD meds making a big difference for ASD people even when they aren't ADHD.

The thing about it usually starting in childhood does make me hesitate to say that I have it. As a kid, I was able to focus when I needed to, (for the most part) but I had to be in a specific place. I knew from a very early age that I was much more productive if I did my homework at school, rather than doing it at home. I would even stay in from recess to finish it so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I think this is because I associated school with work and home with relaxing so in school i'd be in "work mode", and at home I'd be in "relaxation mode."

Yes, it has gotten worse in the last year. I think sensory overload does play a factor sometimes, but it's mostly in class when someone is clicking their nails or tapping their foot. When I'm alone studying, even if the room is completely quiet and there are no outside distractions, I'll still often get distracted by my own thoughts and daydreams. I think it's gotten worse because I've stopped liking school, and no longer expect myself to do well. There was a period of my life for about four or five years where I'd say I was obsessed with school. I didn't like everything about it, but I loved learning about different subjects. Now I think I'm burnt out.

I'll try to look into ADHD meds and see if they'd be a good fit for me. Even if I don't have ADHD, I would like something that would allow me to focus again.

New Threads

Top Bottom