• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do food texture issues greatly limit/restrict your diet, too?

Ashley Smith

I've always felt alone in this. I can't tolerate the sensation of so many different, very normal foods like almost all fruits and vegetables and even meat. Like i like chicken, but unless its ground chicken cooked for taco meat (or similar) there's no guarentee i'll be able to tolerate it and eat it. And even then it depends on whose cooking.

I remember getting so much grief for it as a kid and even now as an adult. To the point i can't stand eating in front of people cause i know its weird and shameful and its embarrassing cause its not normal to go so far as to refuse lettuce and tomatoes and mayo on sandwiches, for instance...

Its just hard cause i have a bad dairy allergy now too. I can't figure out how to accommodate both my food allergy and my food texture issues combined with the fact i don't cook beyond the use of a microwave.

So, to sum it up, because i realize i wasn't totally clear....i have big food texture issues but also my other big issue is too many textures in one bite. I want to eat healthy but i can't figure out how with my food texture issues plus my dairy allergy...

Last edited:
Eh, occaisionally.

What i really cant stand is food that is so "smooth" that it almost seems a little slimy.

Which actually eliminates quite a few things.

Mostly though it's more about other aspects of taste. There's just alot of tastes that I cant deal with. Cherry being the worst.

So while it's not necessarily "texture" my diet is indeed extremely restricted.

Eh, occaisionally.

What i really cant stand is food that is so "smooth" that it almost seems a little slimy.

Which actually eliminates quite a few things.

Mostly though it's more about other aspects of taste. There's just alot of tastes that I cant deal with. Cherry being the worst.

So while it's not necessarily "texture" my diet is indeed extremely restricted.

I don't like cherry either! It was funny cause as a kid, my parents would ask what flavor i wanted for things and i would answer by color. I didn't realize 'red' could be strawberry or cherry most of the time and no one bothered to correct me on this. So half the time i would order something and it would be wasted haha

Isn't it relatively normal to order food "plain"? There's no reason to be embarrassed about what you eat. I order chicken strips and chocolate milk at almost every restaurant I go to, and I'm naturally loud so I'm in there yelling about chocolate milk!

Have you ever tried smoothies? A lot of healthy things can fit into there and then it's just a liquid!

Although I do eat quite a wide range of foods, there are certain textures and/or tastes I don't like. Mine are: grisle on meat, tomatoes, lemon, butter. These might not be many foods, but they are in so many dishes to make it quite difficult at times if I ever eat out. I usually order something I know is 'safe' or order the dish without lemon or egg if it's a chef's salad. Sandwiches can be tricky because they so often have butter or tomato, I can't eat these because they are slimey. The seeds inside a tomato are just like frogspawn!

With foods I disliked I tried them every few years and tastes eventually changed. This included coffee, beer (back when I drank), seafood, cheese, olives, certain vegetables and such like.

Still, there's a few things I still can't seem to go near:

Mushrooms - smell, taste and texture. The smell of cooked mushrooms makes me gag.

Cheese - I find the taste and texture overwhelming if it's eaten plain. If it's cooked as an ingredient in a meal, I don't mind it.

Seafood - there's quite a lot I find off-putting. Asides from tuna, salmon and such like. I can't do prawns, oysters, mussels etc.

Ed

I don't like the texture of things like tapioca, boba tea, rice pudding and sometimes dishes that contain coconut flakes. I have never liked the flavor of sweet potatoes but my mother always refused to make white potatoes for me when she was serving sweet potatoes. She insisted I was faking my dislike for sweet potatoes. (like why the heck would a little girl fake a dislike for a certain food?)

My tastes have evolved over time, though. I used to hate cilantro but forced myself to try eating just a small amount and now I love it. But I still won't eat sweet potatoes.

I am a big person (6"1'- 250lb.) and a big eater. All of my life, I have eaten almost everything that was food. The texture of the food means nothing to me, just the taste. About the only thing that I will not eat is liver of any kind. In my old age, I can not eat as much as I used to. But if it is not liver, I will at least try it.

There aren’t many textures I struggle with, but the big exception is fat on beef or pork. I hate hate hate accidentally chewing on that.

It sure was not treatable in me. It is not psych so I am not so sure how treatable it is. EDs tend to be psych but not AFRID. It's an aversion to food based on texture and sensation. Like a sensory issue with food. It makes more sense than to say a kid suddenly lost the ability to eat one day and then saying it's mental health issue. Food can be a toxic substance but then you have to eat it. Sucks.

It sure was not treatable in me. It is not psych so I am not so sure how treatable it is. EDs tend to be psych but not AFRID. It's an aversion to food based on texture and sensation. Like a sensory issue with food. It makes more sense than to say a kid suddenly lost the ability to eat one day and then saying it's mental health issue. Food can be a toxic substance but then you have to eat it. Sucks.

OOOH okay that makes sense! Yeah its not psychological at all for me its purely texture/sensation based. Its kind of relieving to know there's something on the DSM that might explain my lifelong eating issues.

I have a friend who is like that. she is very vocal about food and how it has to be a certain texture. I also have another friend who cant stand sticky texture...

My mom wants to make chicken salad, which has celery in it. Which I hate, but I can't figure out why. I think part of it is that celery adds a crunch to an otherwise smooth food, and that always really bugs me.

Similarly, tomatoes. I love tomato sauce, but accidentally munching into a tomato chunk, even if I can't taste it, makes me cringe. It's not enough to make me throw up or spit it out, but I always avoid it if I can.
I think bellpeppers have a similar texture, and I don't really care for those either.

Honestly, though, I've never really thought much about why I dislike certain foods; I just always avoided what I don't like.

Combining too many types of food is actually running the risk to cancel out vitamins since their absorbtion is affected. So a plain menu can be better.

'Most nutrients don't fly solo: they interact, join forces, cancel each other, jockey for position on metabolic pathways.'

Nutrition's dynamic duos - Harvard Health

I don't seem to have any unusual food texture issues. Texture is interesting to me, I enjoy its broad variation and combining textures like soup with a lot of crunchy stuff on top. Im very sensitive to its smell though. If i smell perfume while eating salty, it interferes with my enjoyment and distresses me.

I'm actually not picky and have a large appetite. I want sweets rn.

I don't like cherries unless they are in something, or something is cherry-flavored.

For me, it was legumes of any kind. I hated their taste. Later I found out I don't digest them so well...

Any kind of vegetable that has been boiled to death. No problem eating raw spinach in a salad but boil it and it becomes disgusting. Most organ meats taste terrible and liver is the worst of all. Anything related to mayonnaise or avocado. Tomato also tastes horrid, IMHO. If you mix it up with some spices like ketchup it can be pretty good but the straight up I find them vile.

When I was a kid there were massive food wars between my mother and I. I usually won because I'd rather go hungry than gag.

I don't like cherry either! It was funny cause as a kid, my parents would ask what flavor i wanted for things and i would answer by color. I didn't realize 'red' could be strawberry or cherry most of the time and no one bothered to correct me on this. So half the time i would order something and it would be wasted haha

Funny thing. Cherry "flavor" is often vile to me but I enjoy actual cherries. So often the "flavor" they add to something is what I object to, not the taste of the fruit itself.

New Threads

Top Bottom