• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Juliet8080

Every time I drink soda, or even a slurpee from 7-11, my tongue and throat BURN as soon as any little bubbles touch it. If I have a lot I can feel it hours later, like I scratched my throat really bad. I barely touched the tip of my tongue to soda recently and I shrieked and covered my mouth from the pain. I'm hyPOsensitive on my skin, so maybe it's some oral sensitivity? I've literally never met anyone else who feels pain when drinking something carbonated. I've had this for as long as I can remember.

Never liked carbonated drinks of any kind, as they seem to cause a kind of 'burning' sensation when I've tried them. It's not unworkable but I simply don't drink them as a result. Assumed it was a particularity that I had, same with wine, beer, hard liquor, the oral burning sensation never goes away.

Thanks for the article Sportster as it seems that it activates a transient receptor protein:

TRPA1 is an ion channel located on the plasma membrane of many human and animal cells. This ion channel is best known as a sensor for environmental irritants giving rise to somatosensory modalities such as pain, cold and itch......

TRPA1 can be considered to be one of the most promiscuous TRP ion channels, as it seems to be activated by a large number of noxious chemicals found in many plants, food, cosmetics and pollutants.

Last edited:
I love my Dr.Pepper,but limit myself to only 12 ounces per day unless I'm particularly over-stressed, then I might consume 12 more ounces.

Last edited:
I rarely drink carbonated beverages any more. Deliberately avoiding both aspertame and caffeine.

I rarely drink carbonated beverages any more. Deliberately avoiding both aspertame and caffeine.
Same here! I tend to get a nervous tic if I consume products with Aspartame in them. And caffeine revs me up for as much as 12 hours and messes with my irregular heartbeat.

Same here! I tend to get a nervous tic if I consume products with Aspartame in them. And caffeine revs me up for as much as 12 hours and messes with my irregular heartbeat.

Irregular heartbeat? I have premature atrial contractions. Not dangerous...but on occasion disconcerting to feel my heart skip beats. Something I got from taking a beta-blocker for social anxiety that was eventually taken off the market.

So yeah, pretty much any kind of "uppers" aren't doing me any favors.

I have always had an irregular heartbeat, but find that Magnesium Taurate calms it down a lot. My doctor had put me on those dangerous beta blockers, and it got worse than it had ever been. So I weaned off them and went with the Magnesium.

Thanks for all the replies! Seems to be fairly rare in aspies.

It doesn't hurt me, I think maybe you are as you said hyposensitive.

But since I am hyposensitive, why would it hurt? It would make more sense if I was hypersensitive.

I don't drink soda, but I do enjoy seltzer with a twist of lemon or lime; I'll even mix it in with some cranberry juice. I have noticed that certain seltzers or club sodas cause my tongue to experience a burning sensation.

I came across this article that touches on the subject a bit:

http://www.livescience.com/34994-soda-is-actually-spicy-says-your-tongue.html

That's interesting... and yet I can handle mustard haha.

I used to hate the feeling of the bubbles in soda, but lately gotten fond of flavored seltzer.

New Threads

Top Bottom