• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do aspies/auties tend to have good gut instinct or no gut instinct?

Violette88

I am torn, because there is someone I have always not trusted and it turns out I was right about them. But on the other hand I have taken weeks to realise how blatantly horrible some people are, whereas it takes others just seconds.
What is your experience?

Personally, I believe that my gut instinct is always incredibly accurate. I tend to be able to judge within minutes of knowing someone if they're going to turn out to be a good or bad person, and I am very rarely (if ever) wrong.

When my gut says something, I will take a closer look. It has been right enough times that I should pay attention, but it has also been wrong enough times that I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

And if my suspicions prove to be correct, I can quietly excuse myself from that relationship before the other person is tipped off that I suspect them of anything.

If they do not prove to be correct, I can quietly check out the other person without creating an unnecessary offense.

No instinct at all as far as I'm concerned... The few I know I had to learn it by paying attention to any small detail and make lots of computations in my head. This led me to a lot of weird experiences, like going out with a ladyboy for the funny part or being seen as naive by shameless people who tried to get some money or some help on just about anything, for the most annoying part.

My instincts as an Aspie were developed over time. It's more a question of being in touch with them, and not second-guessing yourself. When I've payed attention to them, they have proved correct with one exception, someone who was a junkie and hid her drug addiction extremely well. I got many mixed signals from her, and could never decide if she was in fact being honest or not. Much of the time she was, yet her addiction fouled the murky depths of her moral or ethical behavior.

I do not think that being autistic has that much to do with it. It seems to me that a individuals level of consciousness would help more. If a person is aware of what is going on around him/her, there would be more of a tendency to develop a feeling for the general scheme of things. This individual more likely to follow a gut instinct and be right.

New Threads

Top Bottom