• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do any other people on here with ASD scare easily?

GeoAspieBabe

I scare really easily. I'm very easy to sneak up on. People at work and at home unintentionally sneak up on me and scare me because I don't know they're approaching. It really freaks me out. They always apologize but I'm sure they think it's really weird. I think it's because I'm always lost in my own thoughts or so highly focused on whatever it is I'm doing that I become oblivious to other things around me. I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue.

I don't think it is related to being on the autism spectrum, but more to do with my childhood, that I jump when someone sneaks up behind me, but in truth, I am proned to doing the same with my husband, to get him back for when he does it to me.

There was a point in my life, when I was not fearful of anything and in truth, that was amazing feeling, but didn't last long and today, anything can get me "jumping out of my skin" which of course, is a horrible thought lol

In my experience is easier to expect anything and everything. Fewer things scare you that way.
True, I do try to prepare myself for the worst, but when I'm alone, and it's quiet, and I'm highly focused on something I'm reading or working on, and someone comes up behind me out of nowhere and loudly says "hello!!" or says my name loudly I tend to gasp and jump several feet!!!

I'm the exact same way and I think it does have to do with being totally absorbed in whatever you're doing and not noticing what is going on around you (which could, very much be related to the autism). My son, daughter in law and grandson's live upstairs and when any of them come down here I jump. They apologize, too and I know they are doing it deliberately. They've just come down to ask me something, to borrow something or to get a Mountain Dew out of the fridge that I keep here for them. :) But always - they startle me. When I'm comfortable in my own surroundings I'm not paying any attention to my surroundings like I would when I'm out somewhere.

I'm the exact same way and I think it does have to do with being totally absorbed in whatever you're doing and not noticing what is going on around you (which could, very much be related to the autism). My son, daughter in law and grandson's live upstairs and when any of them come down here I jump. They apologize, too and I know they are doing it deliberately. They've just come down to ask me something, to borrow something or to get a Mountain Dew out of the fridge that I keep here for them. :) But always - they startle me. When I'm comfortable in my own surroundings I'm not paying any attention to my surroundings like I would when I'm out somewhere.
I agree- I think that's what happens to me too.

We on the spectrum, who may tend to gravitate towards a very narrow focus of all kinds of things at any given time. Deeply lost in our own thoughts perhaps more often than others.

So sure, it's easy for us to be startled under such circumstances.

My cats startle me, when they jump up near my computer. My husband startles me in the kitchen when he comes in. Makes me jumpy and anxious. You are not the only one.

I scare really easily. I'm very easy to sneak up on. People at work and at home unintentionally sneak up on me and scare me because I don't know they're approaching. It really freaks me out. They always apologize but I'm sure they think it's really weird. I think it's because I'm always lost in my own thoughts or so highly focused on whatever it is I'm doing that I become oblivious to other things around me. I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue.
I'm panic with a miniscule side order of not panic

I startle extremely easily but am very difficult to properly scare, and it really irritates me when people mix the two up (like horror movies relying on “jump scares,” or the difference between what people call a “haunted house” and a building that’s actually supposedly haunted).

I don’t like it when people growl “Mark!” at me. It makes dread shoot through me and even jump sometimes. I actually like my name and don’t enjoy hearing it used negatively.

Yes I am easily startled but at least part of it is due to PTSD for me but I have always been easily overwhelmed and startled when it comes to sensory stimuli that is due to autism for sure though.

New Threads

Top Bottom