• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do any adults actually LIKE the holidays?

GrownupGirl

Tempermental Artist
It seems like all adults, both NT and ND, just absolutely loathe the holidays and see it as nothing but a bunch of torturous rituals that they, for some reason, put themselves through every year. My parents seem to like Christmas, though. Especially my mother. It was hard trying to get her to understand how stressful it can be for me but since my diagnosis she says she understands now. So does anyone here actually like the holidays or do we all have a heart two sizes too small?

My mother likes to give gifts. To her the holidays are her personal quest days. She will spend every waking hour from Thanksgiving to Christmas eve "accomplishing" her goals. I am not sure she enjoys this time as much as she uses the time to express some of her personality traits. I can't say then that she dislikes them either. But, as in everything she does, she is very serious about it all.

I really never want to be grouped into negativity as for the most part I tend to view life in a positive manner.

I love the rituals that involve time spent with my family and friends.

Christmas was my Mom's favorite holiday.

My pink warrior passed away in April of 2002.
On Christmas of 2002, each of my family members got gifts from her because of how dedicated and giving she was.
She always started her shopping on December 26th.

My home was decorated outside fairly early in December, and the inside wasn't neglected either.

I'm lamenting that my Christmas train layout might not be a reality this year due to time constrictions.
I never took the platform down from last year and it is now tied up as a hobby bench for a special interest.

The neighborhood kids are all getting older now, so the trinket and toy buying has now entered the gift card age for them.

Don't get me wrong, each of them will get a small gathering with them, a bag with treats and a few tangerines that were always a traditional stocking stuffer from Mom.

Not all of us have lost the true meaning behind Christmas either.
Some of us still respect the true meaning behind it and choose to share what we can with others, even if it is only our time we can give them.

As I approach the twilight of my life, I now even more than ever appreciate the times I get to spend with family and my true friends.

My family and friends fully support that which is why I value my time with them all the more.

When you reach the point where you realize how short your time here really is, it changes you.
If you ever get to the point where you are looking at how very fragile we can be, you will then understand how precious each moment you are alive really is.

I like the lights, I like the cooking and I like having dinner with the family. We don’t celebrate Christmas with gifts, but it’s a tradition to have a family dinner because my mom’s birthday is around the holidays. It’s an intense affair that always leaves me overstimulated before the night is over, but for me it’s worth it because I do like the family time. We don’t get together often (especially with COVID now) so this is the one time a year we’re all at a table together.

I like the holidays, but only really put any effort into Christmas.

But I recognized early, the importance of keeping it simple and coming up with ways to de-stress the time. Christmas eve dinner in my house is Pizza. I shop online and start as early as summer. I don't have to set up and decorate the fake tree because I never undecorated it. I just moved it to the spare bedroom which is now the room where it is Christmas all year round. :D If I feel like putting up other decorations I will, but if not just pull out the fake wreath and my favorite nutcracker.

RemoteFlashyAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif

It seems like all adults, both NT and ND, just absolutely loathe the holidays and see it as nothing but a bunch of torturous rituals that they, for some reason, put themselves through every year. My parents seem to like Christmas, though. Especially my mother. It was hard trying to get her to understand how stressful it can be for me but since my diagnosis she says she understands now. So does anyone here actually like the holidays or do we all have a heart two sizes too small?
No, I do not like the holidays. I consider this time a slap on the face bordering on personal insult. I won't bore you with the reasons, most of you are aware. I do realize I am an extreme example.

I like the lights, I like thinking about my (r.i.p.) grandma & grandpa, making and eating my favorite traditional food & drinks, making a snowman if there’s the right kind of snow, & seeing my loved ones.

I like the holidays, but only really put any effort into Christmas.

But I recognized early, the importance of keeping it simple and coming up with ways to de-stress the time. Christmas eve dinner in my house is Pizza. I shop online and start as early as summer. I don't have to set up and decorate the fake tree because I never undecorated it. I just moved it to the spare bedroom which is now the room where it is Christmas all year round. :D If I feel like putting up other decorations I will, but if not just pull out the fake wreath and my favorite nutcracker.

View attachment 72928
20211214_183114.jpg

I like the lights, I like thinking about my (r.i.p.) grandma & grandpa, making and eating my favorite traditional food & drinks, making a snowman if there’s the right kind of snow, & seeing my loved ones.
I will make my beef jerky and snickerdoodle cookies again this year to be gifted to the neighbors.

I live in a very tight knitted little community where we all are really supportive of each other.
I swear each year I add an additional pound of beef to the order but hardly even get to eat much of it myself :D

Last edited:
I will make my beef jerky and snickerdoodle cookies again this year to be gifted to the neighbors.

I live in a very tight knitted little community where we all really supportive of each other.
I swear each year I add an additional pound of beef to the order but hardly even get to eat much of it myself :D
That sounds lovely. I live in a city, which has its pluses, but a tight community it is not.

I do like the idea of holidays. I don't enjoy them because I don't have people around me with whom it would be pleasant to spend them.

I do like the idea of holidays. I don't enjoy them because I don't have people around me with whom it would be pleasant to spend them.
We’re people. I can’t vouch for whether we’re pleasant or not, but we’re a community of sorts.

Attachments

• 7284EC9F-35B1-448E-A611-E4A0F6DDEB77.jpeg
    7284EC9F-35B1-448E-A611-E4A0F6DDEB77.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 79
I really never want to be grouped into negativity as for the most part I tend to view life in a positive manner.

I love the rituals that involve time spent with my family and friends.

Christmas was my Mom's favorite holiday.

My pink warrior passed away in April of 2002.
On Christmas of 2002, each of my family members got gifts from her because of how dedicated and giving she was.
She always started her shopping on December 26th.

My home was decorated outside fairly early in December, and the inside wasn't neglected either.

I'm lamenting that my Christmas train layout might not be a reality this year due to time constrictions.
I never took the platform down from last year and it is now tied up as a hobby bench for a special interest.

The neighborhood kids are all getting older now, so the trinket and toy buying has now entered the gift card age for them.

Don't get me wrong, each of them will get a small gathering with them, a bag with treats and a few tangerines that were always a traditional stocking stuffer from Mom.

Not all of us have lost the true meaning behind Christmas either.
Some of us still respect the true meaning behind it and choose to share what we can with others, even if it is only our time we can give them.

As I approach the twilight of my life, I now even more than ever appreciate the times I get to spend with family and my true friends.

My family and friends fully support that which is why I value my time with them all the more.

When you reach the point where you realize how short your time here really is, it changes you.
If you ever get to the point where you are looking at how very fragile we can be, you will then understand how precious each moment you are alive really is.
This is perfect and heart warming!

Well, I'll put it this way: I realized only just a few minutes ago that at the rate I'm going, I'm likely to actually sleep through most of Christmas itself, based on how my bizarre rotating sleep schedule is. I probably could have avoided that, but... I didnt. And I cant see much reason to really care.

Similarly two equally pointless parties happened yesterday. I avoided both and stayed home, as I REALLY do see those as pointless. They're basically just an idiotic sequence of "hello" and "I'm fine" over and over, in response to things said by people who are "family" yet whose names I can barely remember (or simply see so rarely that I have zero interest, and I was never family-oriented to begin with) and it seems like my time could be better spent organizing bags of cat turds. Like, what's the point?

Fortunately, immediate family generally knows how I feel about all of this stuff and rather expected that to be my response to those. Though I suspect that this'll be the first year that I just sleep through Christmas itself (look, I wasnt watching the calendar, okay?)

Though, even that probably doesnt matter. Why would it?

The only thing I really do like at this point is the lights and decorations. That's about it.

Oh sure, Christmas was fun as a kid, but... that's gone, isnt it? Yeah.

This is a good question.

I like the holidays themselves a lot. I love Christmastime; Thanksgiving is wonderful--I even like the idea of celebrating the new year. However, I don't love the whole high-stress culture that's developed around them.

To everyone who loves the holidays--Happy Holidays to you. To everyone who hates them, I wish you the same, even if for you a happy one involves a low-stress day at home peacefully relaxing (because you definitely deserve it.)
Merry Christmas to everybody. I'll be chilling out at home after church and perhaps visiting a few friends if I can get the old car started up.

I don't out and out hate the holidays themselves. However, I despise what they have become since my youth. They are now all signposts for the shilling of merchandise both before and after. Even worse is the fact that the marketing assault starts at least a month and a half before the actual date, and that gap "seems" to be expanding with each passing year.

Oh, and don't get me started about Christmas Carols. I sang too many of them every year I was in high school and way too many times each year. Repetition tends to create a particular kind of loathing (not all of them, mind you, just the ones I had to sing for many days leading up to Christmas, which of course is most of them).:D

I've always enjoyed the Holidays of Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years.
Probably not for the reasons presented in todays times.

Christmas was my favourite.
It was a yearly tradition with just me and my parents. No stress.
A day to celebrate being together. Cooking and a great meal together.
Presents represented gifts of love.
Lights and decorations were fun and are still beautiful to look at.
As far as the original meaning, not so much, as that can be celebrated in daily life if you feel so
inclined.

Thanksgiving was the same. Remembering back now to the smells of the kitchen and food.
A day of thanks for the same group of three still being together and loving each other another year.
Dad always said grace, tearfully, as he was thankful for our family and the TLC that went into the meal.

New Year's was just fun with fireworks and the dropping of NYC New Year's Ball at times square.
Didn't have much meaning other than that. Fun and gorgeous firework displays.

Times have changed now that my parents are gone.
The man I live with has no love or special meaning in his heart for Holidays.
He cusses and fusses when I put up Christmas lights.
Calls people stupid who do so.

Thanksgiving is nothing more than trying to find a restaurant open to eat at.
And New Years means nothing. He was a cop in NYC and present for the Times Square thing
every year as part of his duties.

Oh, to know the one gift again I desire so much...close family. The gift of love.
I wish everyone could feel that gift.
It has nothing to do with being a kid IMO. But, then there is an inner child in all of us.

I like the holidays mostly for the decorations. More specifically the music boxes. Christmas/winter themed music boxes make up I’m guessing about 10% of my collection since there are so many of them and can often be found at Goodwill. A couple weeks ago I actually found a musical bell decoration that plays music when you pull down the clapper. I immediately bought it because I’ve been looking for this type of music box for years now. I also have musical Christmas tins. Only types of music boxes that are Christmas themed I’m looking for are an Advent Calendar tree (which are pretty neat as they come with tiny ornaments you can put onto the tree) and musical Nativity scene where the structure plays music and the figures are individual pieces.

I don't out and out hate the holidays themselves. However, I despise what they have become since my youth. They are now all signposts for the shilling of merchandise both before and after. Even worse is the fact that the marketing assault starts at least a month and a half before the actual date, and that gap "seems" to be expanding with each passing year.

As someone who has quite the collection of objects (hoarder), I often find perfect gifts to give others that are way outside of the commercial realm of gifts.
Sometimes the perfect gift is an antique that was hand selected for the recipient.
Second hand stores are a regular stop for me, so once again, an idea that is pretty much opposite of going full-on commercial.
The males in my family are fairly easy, and often are gifted tools or that perfect part for one of their prized possession vehicles they needed but weren't ready to part with the cash for one.
As a creative type, more often than not, the females are given hand made jewelry.
A favorite tactic of mine for the pre 1965ers was to gather a silver coin from their birthdate and fashion an item out of it.
I can remember taking dimes and making silver rings out of them there the entire process could take weeks of spare time to complete.
A ring made out of a dime takes quite a while to make as you start by piercing it, then the enlarging process begins.
A smaller tapered mandrel is then used for the bore and is opened up by rapping the coin with a common spoon.
Every so often, you have to anneal the metal over a gas flame in order to soften it.
When finished, the goal is to use nearly all of the original metal except for the tiny amount that needs removed to polish it.

Nothing says love more than spending huge amounts of time making special gifts that can never be duplicated, and it does cut the retailers out of the picture.
The entire time I am making them, I get to reflect of how they touched my life.
Oh, and the gift boxes are always special.
I do go retail for those, but they are generally small wooden ones that I gather out of craft shops for a dollar, then add a special printed image to them under the clear coat finishes tailored to the receiver of the gifts.

One year, I gave my sister a set of exotic wooden drink coasters I made out of flooring scraps I picked up off the floor of a neighbor's home they were working on.
It took me nearly a week of evenings to cut, carve and finish them, but now she has an heirloom she can later pass to someone else.
Her daughter now has a ring I made for my Mom.
I gave it to her when she turned 16, so when she wants to, she can wear it knowing that her grandmother once wore it with pride :)

Oh, and don't get me started about Christmas Carols. I sang too many of them every year I was in high school and way too many times each year. Repetition tends to create a particular kind of loathing (not all of them, mind you, just the ones I had to sing for many days leading up to Christmas, which of course is most of them).:D
I recognize three holidays during this season. National Shopping Insanity Day (last Friday in November), National Gift Return Insanity Day (December 26), and National Drunk Driving Day (Evening of January 31, one of four yearly). I try to avoid driving on any of these days.

New Threads

Top Bottom