• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disliking talking on the phone

AngelWings17

Unless it's with someone I know I don't like talking on the phone. I don't mind calling if it's to make an appointment or talk to a co-worker, but I still don't like it. Anyone else have this issue? Not really a major question. Just putting this out there.

She raises her hand! Like you, can do it, but certainly do not like doing it and even worse, because most of the time, have to speak in French ie live in France.

I phoned the infirmier (nurse) the other day, in order for them to come around for blood tests and even though I know what to say, I completely lost how to say it and had to apologise. Perhaps because she sounded friendly, that calmed me down and my French came back enough to get what I needed to get across.

I tend to have to psych myself up to use the phone.

Yep. I always have felt uncomfortable talking on the phone. I usually relax once it gets going but the anxiety prior to making a call can get pretty strong and even prevent me from making calls at times.

I usually don't like using the phone unless it's my husband or my aunt but I hate having to ring up and make appointments and like others have said I have to build up to making a call at times because it can cause me anxiety.

All the time. I can handle phone calls from family because I've heard them talk so much I know what they're saying and I know how they're likely to react. Strangers? Nah ah. I don't understand what they're saying very well, and after a few jobs involving phones and dealing with customer service with its typically horrid service, I really hate talking on the phone with strangers. It makes me anxious when the phone rings and I do my best to avoid answering it or placing calls to people I don't know.

Last edited:
I really don't like talking on the phone. I'm ok if it's just calling to make an appointment, but if there is any sort of discussion needing to happen it makes me extremely anxious, even if it's close family. I never answer the phone either, just let it go to voice mail and then decide if it's important enough for me to call back or if I can get away with emailing :confused:

I only talk with some of my friends on phone...well, we can talk more than 6 hours (new record)
but usually I don't talk, whatever on phone or face to face.
I still remember when I was 18, I needed to call someone unknown and I was extremely nervous...so I hid myself under the escalator!!

Yep. Raises hand.. I hate calling even to make appointments or order pizza. I feel like I can't understand people on the phone very well.. I constantly have to ask them to repeat what they said. And long conversations on the phone, forget it.. I get distracted and forget to listen :/

Getting phone calls from contractors when I was working would cause full on panic attacks at my desk. I'd have to let it go to voicemail and then check the message.

I do not particularly like talking on the phone, but only because I do not particularly like talking at all. I just do not say much. It does not bother me to talk, if I have something to say. I would much rather talk on the phone than try to communicate via text. That just fosters miscommunication. My wife, my kids and my grandkids all are into texting and at least half of the time they get it wrong.

Yep. I always have felt uncomfortable talking on the phone. I usually relax once it gets going but the anxiety prior to making a call can get pretty strong and even prevent me from making calls at times.
Same here. I got a missed phone call today from someone I know who invites me round for dinner once every month or so. Our calls usually last five minutes max. as I think she can sense I'm uncomfortable talking on the phone. I just couldn't bring myself to phone her back as my anxiety got strong as well for no reason, really. :(

OMG, I hate talking on the phone. I have to plan out the conversation when I have to make appointments, and my friends know to txt or FB chat if they want to talk, since I don't like talking on the phone. I can, if its them, but conversations are usually brief, or filled with "can you repeat that??" Yeah, I used to have major panic attacks when the phone rang, and I still won't answer my cell if I don't know who it is, but I've gotten better as far as anxiety goes. Just don't ask me to answer a phone for business/job purposes, won't happen...

I don't like talking on the phone. I prefer text or instant messaging. I will sometimes video chat in rare circumstances, but that is about it.

The only time I hate talking on the phone is to Foreign call centres, don't get me wrong I'm no racist, but the Indians can never understand my strong Yorkshire accent, and 99 times out of 100 they speak very poor English so I can't understand them, therefore I hate phoning the likes of Sky, and Talk Talk, because they both have Foreign call centres, I can just about translate a Scottish accent when I ring Yorkshire Bank's call centre though, but why does a Yorkshire based Bank have their Head Office in Glasgow? Surely it'd make more sense for them to be based in Leeds, which according to the BBC is the centre of the World?!

New Threads

Top Bottom