• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disclosing diagnosis to employers

Bolletje

Overly complicated potato
V.I.P Member
After I was diagnosed with Aspergers, I put together a list of ideal working conditions for me. I spoke about these with my psychologist and agreed that when starting a new job it would be a good idea to disclose my Aspergers to my boss (or at least my supervisor) so I can explain why something might seem off about me sometimes, and explain what I need from my employer to make sure I do my job most efficiently.

While I was okay with doing this on paper, I'm having some serious reservations about actually doing this. At my last four jobs I did not mention having Aspergers. In part because these were temp jobs where I knew beforehand I wouldn't be staying for too long, and because these were mostly jobs way below my education and experience level, so I figured I would excel at them either way. These jobs mostly went well.

Thing is, I'm about to go back to university to finish my Master's Degree in Medicine. Last time around I had to stop twice because I was severely burnt out and depressed. This was partially caused because I didn't have clear assignments or my own working space and I got very stressed out over this. People thought I was uninterested and unmotivated while I was dying to get my hands on more work but didn't know how to get it. I didn't have my diagnosis back then.

I have my diagnosis now, I've been through a lot of therapy and I'm ready to go back. I want to ask the professor where I did my last internship whether I can come back and try it again, even though I did not leave on the best terms. To make sure I succeed this time around I do want to negotiate some terms in the way of scheduling and working space, so I won't get this stressed out.

And that's what frightens me. On the one hand, I'm not ashamed of my Aspergers and I'm not ashamed of preferring peace and quiet as well as a clearly defined schedule in the workplace. On the other hand, I'm scared of being judged when I ask for a special treatment. My supervisors used to tell me I was very talented at the job, but I faded into the background. I'm scared that when they know I have Aspergers, they'll either tell me to suck it up if I want to be a doctor, or they'll just forget a bout the talented part and focus on my awkwardness. My friend told me to get over this and just tell them. Her words: "If you're blind in one eye you would tell your boss. If your hearing is bad you'd tell your boss. This is no different." It feels different to me though, as this is an invisible disorder with a lot of social stigma attached to it.

Basically, summing it up, I'm scared of failing if I don't ask for what I need, but I'm scared of not being accepted if I tell them what I need.

I'm wondering what you (would) do with (prospective) employers. Do you disclose, or do you keep it to yourself and try to power through problems that might arise?

I have come to find when I "out" myself as an Aspie, or others decide I am "too different," my employment is short lived thereafter. I am not discarded in an obvious way, but nonetheless I am gone.
While my work is always temporary, employment does not have to be.

I do live in an entirely different country though, so my words are
Subjective and based on my own experience being open about autism.

If you have ever seen or heard a Dos Equis commercial...
I don't always get laid off, but when I do, I get dos cheques.

EDIT:
For clarity, and those not in the know, "dos cheques" refers to the common or customary two pay checks or two payments on dismissal. And rhymes with Dos Equis

Last edited:
I am thinking the questions to ask are: what help is required to be given to you, if any? And, should you not disclose, how would the "powering through" be different this time? Would the diagnosis alone be enough to change your experience?

I am thinking the questions to ask are: what help is required to be given to you, if any? And, should you not disclose, how would the "powering through" be different this time? Would the diagnosis alone be enough to change your experience?
Those are good questions.
I don't need help, per se, but I think I need more specific directions than others, and if possible my own office or at least my own desk. This has become more clear to me since diagnosis. An optimal working environment for me means having a spot where I can work on an assigned task, preferrably uninterrupted for a few hours if not the entire day. I need to know who my strict supervisor is and how the hierarchy in the workplace is. The good thing is that I'll be working in radiology, which mostly means spending pretty much all day in a dark room staring at a computer screen.

What would make the "powering through" different this time is that I've become more assertive since last time and don't spend as much time worrying whether people like me. I spend less time worrying about how to address someone higher up in the hierarchy.

I'm just a little worried that when I get back into this environment I'll snap back into the timid version of me from before.

I don't know where you live but you should be entitled to reasonable adjustments in the workplace. You should also not have to face discrimination either because of a disability. I would like to think that an education person such as a professor would know who to handle situations like this appropriately.

I've never had to disclose my diagnosis because I haven't been able to work since receiving it. I'm not too sure if I would either, not because I'd be afraid but because I don't know if I need them. If I did need adjustments then yes I would let my boss know because it's in both of our interests that I work as well and efficiently as possible.

It's a scary thing to tell someone you have a disability. But the reason you have it is so that other people can understand and help you. If you don't do this then you're not making the most out of the opportunity. Your friend is utterly right in what they said. Asperger's is a valid disability and should be treated just like a physical one, not exceptions. But you too need to accept this because if you don't advocate for yourself then you're doing yourself the injustice, not them.

This is a chance to grow, to better yourself. Make the right decision.

I would personally read up on the company's policies regarding disabled employees before disclosing your AS, they might react negatively.

However, if you disclose and they then fire you, in theory you could have them for unfair dismissal under various anti-discrimination laws.

I would personally read up on the company's policies regarding disabled employees before disclosing your AS, they might react negatively.

However, if you disclose and they then fire you, in theory you could have them for unfair dismissal under various anti-discrimination laws.
Thanks for your reply :) The problematic thing at this point is that I'm not applying for a job but for an unpaid internship where, sadly, we don't have as many rights. I want these people to hire me for a 6-year training as radiologist once my internship is over though, so I want to make the best impression possible.

I've contacted them for an internship and disclosed that I've been with them 3 years ago when I had to leave due to depression. They told me it was no problem for me to come back after I pass my mandatory 10 weeks probation in general medicine, so so far, so good. I've decided to disclose my ASD in person and not via email during my application.

Rich Allen is incredibly correct in suggesting reading up on company policy. Reading up on the American Disabilities Act would also be useful, since most company policies simply reference that.
There should not be any issues, most smaller institutions will not be awful about it, but it is good to be prepared. Having an accommodations list is a good idea, but you should also consider a "Worst case scenarios and how to combat them," list-- Even if it is just for you.
Newer bosses at my workplace knew that I was a good worker by the point that I got around talking to them, and I made it clear that despite occasionally going nonverbal, I could still work. There was also vaguetalking around other issues that may pop up in the future.
I have also been fairly blunt with my coworkers, who choose to use the order bell to communicate, that it put me in pain. That has had a questionable success rate, but the use of the bell has gone down.

Clear communication is probably for the best.

New Threads

Top Bottom