• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Andrew206

I’ve been interviewing for several jobs and have thought about disclosing my autism to the interviewer, but haven’t. I’m not sure if I should. I think I keep getting turned down for jobs because the interviewer reads my body language and notices something is off.

I will tell you this, I did not feel it necessary in any interview I ever had in my working career once I knew I was on the spectrum and I was already working when I learned of it. I withheld the info interviewing for my final position, but it did become an issue some ten years in with my final employer. I explained the issue was due to my Asperger's which led to me needing a letter from a mental health professional about my interesting affect. In the end, it came down to one key factor. That was that my skill set was too valuable to lose. Others in the same section I worked in were let go, so I guess it boils down to how you feel inside, for if you are uncomfortable at an interview, for any reason, it will show.

An interview is for selling yourself, your skills, and your confidence in both. I was always confident I could do any task handed to me, excluding getting in the door for my first job after college.

You don't say what kind of job, but directness and a certain relaxation in the way you present yourself, as if you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you, can be a deciding factor. Good luck to you.

That's need to know information and employers don't need to know. Unless you have it to a point that it is legally a disability, the information cannot help you. And even then it will only help you after you've gotten the job. Whatever you may think is throwing them off in the interview, it will still throw them off. Employers don't care about explanations.

I agree that with many employers, they are going to see a "mental health issue", however mild it may be, to be a "potential complication" that they don't want to deal with. Most folks do not know what autism is or may have some preconceived ideas of what it is that may confuse the issue enough to create some uncertainty. It is a rare situation where you find an employer, perhaps because they have a family member with autism, perhaps they have autism themselves, that will embrace another autistic. Having said that, I know that there are many employers within the tech industries that actively seek out the autistic,...as many are able to have exceptional focus once given a problem to solve. It is interesting that California's "Silicon Valley" has a disproportionate amount of autistic families, simply because to the recruitment strategies of many of those companies.

Personally, I did not disclose my autism until over 30 years of employment, and only after there were changes in our work environment that pushed me into needing some "accommodations". By then, I had already established myself as a team leader and resource person for the staff.

When it comes to this topic, there are too many variables to consider to make any kind of recommendations.

I DID not know that I was an Aspie until well into my career, tried like hell to get promoted, kept upgrading my education. finally got an opportunity. My competitor had worked at the company for 0ver 30 years I was told my experience an education greatly out weighted his, close call but my lack of people skills gave him the edge. I'm retired now he is still there one year short of fifty years of service, we are good friends.

I DID not know that I was an Aspie until well into my career, tried like hell to get promoted, kept upgrading my education. finally got an opportunity. My competitor had worked at the company for 0ver 30 years I was told my experience an education greatly out weighted his, close call but my lack of people skills gave him the edge. I'm retired now he is still there one year short of fifty years of service, we are good friends.
Even in a lot of highly technical fields, perceived "people skills" can give a big advantage.

Fortunately my skills gave my employer a huge competitive advantage such that they were bought by a competitor.

OP, are you in the U.S. or another country? Once you're hired if you're in the U.S. than you have some protections under the ADA if you feel you need "reasonable accommodations".

This is a very complex subject mixed with reality. Sometimes reality isn't right, ethical, etc. That's just a fact. There are two sides to this issue as well: The disabled employee's side and the employer's side.

In a perfect world prospective employees should be able to disclose their disabilities at an interview stage with no issues whatsoever, provided they're able to do the job with only reasonable accommodations if required.

In the "real" world, unfortunately employers for any number of reasons can decline an applicant based in part on their disability. That's illegal to do in the U.S. However, it's usually very difficult to prove.

• Would a disabled applicant know who ended up getting the job if they were declined?
  • Would the disabled applicant know for certain the the person who did get the job was less qualified than they were?
  • Would the disabled person know the future plans and direction of the company that could factor into an employment decision? Perhaps the person who did get the job had prior experience in an area that may not be part of the current job description, but perhaps the company has been planning branching out into a direction in which the applicant's prior experience in the different field would become an asset in the future.
Reality is also full of unexpected outcomes. Perhaps a disabled applicant is qualified for the job, discloses their disability during the interview process and precisely because they do, the prospective employer hires them for fear of reprisal if they don't hire them. This is a possible outcome. A "crapshoot"/gamble, but who knows.

A few words about "reasonable accommodation" Even though I'm autistic, I am NOT of the mindset that an employer should accommodate me no matter what I say my needs are. and no matter the cost to the employer. In other words, I'm not in favor of a scenario in which an employer would be forced to make objectively unreasonable accommodations (ie obvious to anyone that the accommodations would be unreasonable). It would be nice in a perfect world if employers would have to accommodate with no limit to cost or business structure, but it would also be nice if, in my opinion, artificial fragrances and noise pollution would literally be outlawed. I accept that that would be unreasonable.

It's a complex issue as well because it's a person's personal choice to disclose their disability to an employer. Conversely it's "none of the employer's business". However from an ethical perspective if a disabled person applied for a job, did not disclose their disability (of which they knew beforehand that they'd need/want accommodations ) and than after being hired say: "Ok, now that I'm hired I want you to know I have a disability and request the following for accommodations...", how does that sit? Is it dishonest?

Last edited:
The person who beat me for the promotion had considerable experience, between the two of us we had close to 90 years experience. mine was more diverse, been around the industry, his was at the one location. boss said it was a very close call. beat me by a hair. classic case of education vs straight experience.

Retired now water under bridge, he is still working just shy of fifty years service, we are friends gave it my best shot.

Most of my interviews were before I knew I was autistic, so never declared. The rest have been internal interviews.

part of me thinks if I applied for a new job, I’d declare - because if they want to discriminate against autistic people or anyone disabled, I’d rather work else where.

I guess it would depend on how desperate I was for a job though!

reasonable adjustments in the interview would make the process easier for me, so disclosing might help with that.

stuff like having a list of examples to talk about, to save worrying about what to say. Maybe seeing the questions ten minutes before the start too, to work out what examples to use for each question.

Seeing the questions in advance might be good for all candidates, not just me, and good for the interviewers too - less awkward silences and better answers from everyone.

I changed positions a number of times during my career, my previous experience always spoke for itself, usually blew the competition out of the water. did this without knowing I was an Aspie.

OP, are you in the U.S. or another country? Once you're hired if you're in the U.S. than you have some protections under the ADA if you feel you need "reasonable accommodations".

This is a very complex subject mixed with reality. Sometimes reality isn't right, ethical, etc. That's just a fact. There are two sides to this issue as well: The disabled employee's side and the employer's side.

In a perfect world prospective employees should be able to disclose their disabilities at an interview stage with no issues whatsoever, provided they're able to do the job with only reasonable accommodations if required.

In the "real" world, unfortunately employers for any number of reasons can decline an applicant based in part on their disability. That's illegal to do in the U.S. However, it's usually very difficult to prove.

• Would a disabled applicant know who ended up getting the job if they were declined?
  • Would the disabled applicant know for certain the the person who did get the job was less qualified than they were?
  • Would the disabled person know the future plans and direction of the company that could factor into an employment decision? Perhaps the person who did get the job had prior experience in an area that may not be part of the current job description, but perhaps the company has been planning branching out into a direction in which the applicant's prior experience in the different field would become an asset in the future.
Reality is also full of unexpected outcomes. Perhaps a disabled applicant is qualified for the job, discloses their disability during the interview process and precisely because they do, the prospective employer hires them for fear of reprisal if they don't hire them. This is a possible outcome. A "crapshoot"/gamble, but who knows.

A few words about "reasonable accommodation" Even though I'm autistic, I am NOT of the mindset that an employer should accommodate me no matter what I say my needs are. and no matter the cost to the employer. In other words, I'm not in favor of a scenario in which an employer would be forced to make objectively unreasonable accommodations (ie obvious to anyone that the accommodations would be unreasonable). It would be nice in a perfect world if employers would have to accommodate with no limit to cost or business structure, but it would also be nice if, in my opinion, artificial fragrances and noise pollution would literally be outlawed. I accept that that would be unreasonable.

It's a complex issue as well because it's a person's personal choice to disclose their disability to an employer. Conversely it's "none of the employer's business". However from an ethical perspective if a disabled person applied for a job, did not disclose their disability (of which they knew beforehand that they'd need/want accommodations ) and than after being hired say: "Ok, now that I'm hired I want you to know I have a disability and request the following for accommodations...", how does that sit? Is it dishonest?
I'm in the United States.

"Under the ADA, an individual with a disability is someone who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. People who have a history of, or who are regarded as having, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, are also covered. Major life activities include caring for one’s self, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, working, performing manual tasks, and learning."

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) | Center for Autism Research

This rather limits autism as a protected disability to people with significant impairment. You can be obviously autistic and diagnosed as such but unless you have difficulty functioning on your own in society, making a claim under the ADA will be difficult. And yes, you have to make the claim and find an advocate to work on your behalf. I don't think I would have the psychological wherewithal to do that.

In an ideal world, the employer would incorporate a social conscience into its corporate culture. Many employers will not unless forced to - and even then it will be the minimum they can get away with. I do not know if anyone has compiled a list of autism-friendly workplaces. It would be really useful if one could find such a thing.

I don't know that it's necessary to divulge that you have autism but it's a personal decision. I only recently learned of my autism but I've typically done very well in job interviews. I guess that's because I use what has been referred to as "scripting." I anticipate the types of questions that will be asked and have answers prepared. This helps reduce my level of anxiety.

However, there have certainly been interviews where I've felt that my anxiety or nerves have impacted my performance. In those instances, you can either let it go (most interviewers understand you're nervous) or address it head-on. I've sent follow-up emails in which I've said something along the lines of, "It was nice meeting with you. I enjoyed our conversation. However, I admit that I was a bit nervous and as a result, I might not have been as clear in some of my responses as I would have liked..." I will then proceed to clarify or let them know that I'm available for a follow-up conversation if they have additional questions. From my perspective, this honesty has usually been appreciated.

I know your concern is primarily about body language but I think acknowledging that you are nervous might help them understand and not read too much into it.

Last edited:
"Under the ADA, an individual with a disability is someone who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. People who have a history of, or who are regarded as having, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, are also covered. Major life activities include caring for one’s self, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, working, performing manual tasks, and learning."

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) | Center for Autism Research

This rather limits autism as a protected disability to people with significant impairment. You can be obviously autistic and diagnosed as such but unless you have difficulty functioning on your own in society, making a claim under the ADA will be difficult. And yes, you have to make the claim and find an advocate to work on your behalf. I don't think I would have the psychological wherewithal to do that.

In an ideal world, the employer would incorporate a social conscience into its corporate culture. Many employers will not unless forced to - and even then it will be the minimum they can get away with. I do not know if anyone has compiled a list of autism-friendly workplaces. It would be really useful if one could find such a thing.

Unfortunately the ADA interpretation by some people can be a place where ableism rears its ugly head.

The quote above references a "physical or mental impairment which substantially limits...working".

I have an extreme sensitivity to artificial/chemical fragrances. Mentally I can't function effectively at all when I'm around such things and to the point where I can taste dryer sheets, laundry detergent fragrance, perfumes, colognes, Febreeze/air fresheners, scented candles/oil candles, etc.

Also with my autism and/or my ADHD, I can't function effectively at all when I'm in a work environment where there is a lot of background noise. My brain can't filter and prioritize sounds well.

In both cases above I absolutely would argue that my disabilities should be recognized under the ADA. Yes, the challenges I describe above are "significant impairments". The ableism comes into play when employers might argue that I'm not disabled in ways which prevent me from caring for myself. If that was the litmus test then such faulty logic could also argue that wheelchair-bound people who can care for themselves should get no consideration under the ADA, or hearing or sight impaired people, etc.

Ableism mindset with employment is akin to the faulty logic of: "If you're not living in a group home, you can cope and you're not really disabled so...deal with it. We're not going to recognize your disability and we're not going to even consider reasonable accommodations for you."

^ Wrong. Thankfully, that's so wrong.

I can care for myself. I have been gainfully employed continuously in jobs for 36 years. I have zero issues with the fact that I asked for reasonable accommodations under the ADA at my current job for my autism and was granted my requests by my employer.

Keeping a job is a major life activity and qualifies as caring for one's self because without an income your life is imperiled. When keeping a job depends upon ability to socialize, interact and function in a way that NTs find acceptable, it severely interferes with a major life activity (because you cannot meet their standards and then of course get let go from that job as a result, and perhaps many other jobs, for the same reason), and IMO should qualify as a disability. We have a very legitimate and very real social disability, relative to NTs. I wonder if the ADA will be reviewing their definitions.

Last edited:
I've been applying for a new job for several months (I'm an environmental engineer), and the job applications I have completed have all asked whether or not I have a protected disability under the ADA. Since I have been formally diagnosed with ASD, I have been checking "yes" - but it's my understanding that I don't have to do this. So, do you think it's better to:

1. Check "yes" for this question at the risk of being asked about it by HR (or having someone gloss over you because of your condition - I know this isn't legal, but I'm sure it happens)
2. Check "no" for this question and hope that your ASD isn't an issue for the interviewer

Thanks in advance!

I've been applying for a new job for several months (I'm an environmental engineer), and the job applications I have completed have all asked whether or not I have a protected disability under the ADA. Since I have been formally diagnosed with ASD, I have been checking "yes" - but it's my understanding that I don't have to do this. So, do you think it's better to:

1. Check "yes" for this question at the risk of being asked about it by HR (or having someone gloss over you because of your condition - I know this isn't legal, but I'm sure it happens)
2. Check "no" for this question and hope that your ASD isn't an issue for the interviewer

Thanks in advance!

How will employers imagine that asd might affect the work you can do?
I think you need to be really careful. Some employers will not understand what asd is and may equate asd with "retarded".
If possible try to answer this question only after you have a feeling for the interviewer and the social culture of your potential employer.

My husband and I are thinking of relocating. I was looking at the employment opportunities on a city web page and saw an ad for a cerk with the police department. I am well qualified for the job and have familiarity with what the job would entail - the job would not be overwhelming for me. But there is no way I would disclose my asd for this job. Doing so would no work in my favor!

I would not tell anyone at your workplace if I were you. The world is not ready for this. Sadly as it may sound. If you absolutely have to tell, say it AFTER you've signed a job-contract and maybe worked there for a week. But keep in mind they will probably end up with saying, "oh I'm sorry about that" as well as "You probably wont fit in here because of your condition, we're gonna have to let you go". Their brain can't process that we wont fit in ANYWHERE on the jobs market, and this is the only lot we got it life. They have close to zero sympathy for you. Just act as much neurotypical as you can and get in line - sort of thing. You know, the whole "masking" thing.

The sad thing is most people in general just don't understand this autism stuff. Scientist can't even explain what exactly is going on. All they can do is explain the symptoms.

I've only told some of my family. And some agencies and commissions that have to know by law. That's it. I would love to tell others so they can understand what's going on with me, but that's not how the world works.

New Threads

Top Bottom