• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disappointed...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
The slow crawl out of a year of Covid

I just read online that what used to be the massive classic car show at the end of September will again be downsized (it happened last year with a maximum of 200 cars)... It used to be a show where over 1200 cars descended on a small town for one day and it was epic, the last time those numbers happened was way back in 2017... 2018 was rainy with much smaller numbers... 2019 it snowed! About 20 cars went... 2020 was a small show as noted above...

I don't know how much downsized this year will be but it's disappointing to me, there is a certain energy to the large events that I'm missing, and apparently still missing... Even wondering if that will ever come back...

Yes, I do know how much some of you like large crowds :rolleyes: But I'm missing them, the energy, will they ever come back in the same way? o_O

You are lucky if that is your only disappointment. Thousands of people today are about to be homeless in the US. There is no more mercy for those without homes. Eviction moratorium has expired and people are desperate. Last year, everyone thought by 2021, things would be back to normal. Now, it's dog eat dog, vaxxed vs unvaxxed, housed vs unhoused, jobbed vs unjobbed, dems v. pubs.......the world's gone mad. You are quite lucky if your only worry is a downsized car show (but not to diminish your disappointment......it still hurts you, but just to show perspective.....)

You are lucky if that is your only disappointment. Thousands of people today are about to be homeless in the US. There is no more mercy for those without homes. Eviction moratorium has expired and people are desperate. Last year, everyone thought by 2021, things would be back to normal. Now, it's dog eat dog, vaxxed vs unvaxxed, housed vs unhoused, jobbed vs unjobbed, dems v. pubs.......the world's gone mad. You are quite lucky if your only worry is a downsized car show (but not to diminish your disappointment......it still hurts you, but just to show perspective.....)

I do know that perspective as well... I was fortunate there was good gov't support here in Canada... I can still be disappointed with some of that perspective... And needing to think of the long game, for me just reading that last night got to me a little bit...

I think Yeats expressed this well in the Second Coming:
"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

I think Yeats expressed this well in the Second Coming:
"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

Good gracious, thank you for posting this. This is so typical of great poets, to find the exact words to describe what people feel. And yet, right now, who even knows the poet to place the words and comfort and cause wonder?

As the verse says, "The best lack conviction...." so it is so refreshing that you have taken the time to find words to express what people are feeling right now, and words of a great poet. I think I will read Yeats now. THANK YOU!!!!

Good gracious, thank you for posting this. This is so typical of great poets, to find the exact words to describe what people feel. And yet, right now, who even knows the poet to place the words and comfort and cause wonder?

As the verse says, "The best lack conviction...." so it is so refreshing that you have taken the time to find words to express what people are feeling right now, and words of a great poet. I think I will read Yeats now. THANK YOU!!!!
Wait 'til you get to the last stanza of that poem.

But my favorite is ee cummings.

I've been to a "speakeasy" type car meet. You know how during Prohibition, they would have secret nightclubs called "speakeasies". Well, this was something during the height of the lockdown, where it was promoted secretly online, and hundreds of cars suddenly pulled into an empty parking lot. No one wore masks, and there were some really tight rides. There was this one old car with flames coming out of the tail pipes, and lots of race cars that were cruising and sort of threatening each other. It was incredible.

The cops showed up, but the officers were so cool. They didn't harass anyone. They seemed impressed by all the cars, and just stood there making sure no one got hurt, and then left.

and yet the bible said this way before and people still don't believe.

New Threads

Top Bottom