• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
Hello everyone I have decided to try to further explain and educate to my organization and make a meaning About how developmental disabilities should be respected and accepted

However most of the stuff right now I could find is on autism only

If anyone happens to know the video or could help me find a video that can be applied to all developmental disability’s I would really appreciate it

We just did a meeting last night on zoom about our mission and being able to have a voice whether or not you communicate using speech essentially and that you need to use the voice inside yourselfAnd that everyone’s voice matters

And it was our first meeting and also the objective was to bring more people in from group homes and other people that were not involved in our committee Or have knowledge of the Group meetings

But one of the main members besides us of the committee Who is not a client doesn’t understand about how including parents and people with developmental disabilities advocacy would be very difficult to include and keep our mission statement intact

This organization does deal with many different developmental disabilities

I’m not saying our group should completely leave parents out however I believe they should know they should be respectful and really hear what we have to say

And not have this group be completely taken over by parents and maybe even staff

This person I believe means well he has what was formally was Asperger syndrome still states that he has that as an Asperger syndrome i’m not sure if he knows about the change in the DSM and I would like to keep his original diagnosis or not but I’m not going to focus on that

He also stated that he had someone he lives with I don’t know if it’s a relative but this person they cannot find any means of communication for that person at this time

I have only been in this program three months so I don’t want to over take it or over sighting anyone if you know what I mean

I want everyone to get a chance to be able to participate and share and suggest topics about what they want to talk about

And add more people to the core committee

sometimes it’s hard for me to come up with what I want to say completely but this is all I have to say for now

Great to hear from you. It's excellent that you have taken this role upon yourself to represent a target of people that do need a spokesman. But a quick warning- these group things take time and you must have school bus loads of patience because everybody brings their perspective to the table and that takes time to get through. But you seem to be such an excellent role model rich in your own experiences that l have total faith you can do this. You rock, one of your fans.

But one of the main members besides us of the committee Who is not a client doesn’t understand about how including parents and people with developmental disabilities advocacy would be very difficult to include and keep our mission statement intact

I am curious to know more about the mission statement and what the parents & autistic non-client are asking for that would be out of compliance with it. Most people want the same thing but generally have very different ideas about the paths to the same goal.

3Practices is a simple, effective way for the committee to listen to ideas about all of the pathways to honoring the mission statement. It allows all voices to be heard. Apparently, you are familiar with communication other than verbal/ASL expression, but AAC statements should be developed before the meeting with quick statements available for efficiency but also time needs to be allotted to accommodate for in the moment communications.

Or you could enforce a mission statement hierarchy that refuses diverse thinking.

What is your/the committee's goal?

I absolutely love this girl. She has Down's Syndrome and teaches Zumba classes. Every now and again, when I need inspiration and a smile, I watch videos about her.

I absolutely love this girl. She has Down's Syndrome and teaches Zumba classes. Every now and again, when I need inspiration and a smile, I watch videos about her.

Here is a video of one of her inspiring Zumba classes. I just adore Yulissa!

New Threads

Top Bottom