• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difficulty working full-time

As much as I wanted to, I was never successful at working full-time. It was simply too mentally exhausting.

So I worked half-time for a number of years.

It is hard to make peace with my lack of productivity. My few friends have all worked full-time.

Last edited:
Looking after yourself is the first principle of personal productivity. You aced it. And without doing that, there can be no other productivity. Plus I believe you are a carer? So you are there for someone else too? You probably need to adjust your concept of productivity, as you may not have counted in a host of mental and emotional productivity.

I have worked full time and found it horrendeous and was so happy that it ended.

The idea of working part time and having the rest of the day, to be free is terribly appealing to me, but now, where I live, I cannot go to work and part of me has been wanting to try and find a way around that, but a bigger part, likes being at home being busy.

I moved from full time to part time (3 days a week) when I got divorced so that I could spend more time with my kids on the days that they are with me. They are now old enough that I could return to working 5 days a week, however I really enjoy only working three days and it’s definitely helping my stress levels. So at this stage, I’m planning to stay time.

I went above and beyond the call of duty my entire career.
Especially when I was in business for myself.

Last edited:
At a late age, l went to 6 days a week, sometimes nine hours a day on my feet and l survived. But l didn't enjoy being in the sun and battling rain, wind, etc. But it gave me a lot of confidence in myself.

My brain starts getting like mud after a few hours. If I push it, my brain gets so muddy that I can't pull information out, make decisions or make sense of what people are saying. It is like shutdown.

Last edited:
With age at a certain point, things do seem to be getting tougher every day. :oops:

Yes, age certainly doesn't help.
But this has been a problem my entire life. As a child, it took me much longer than average to complete homework. There were a few times that I spent the entire time after school until bedtime trying to get it done and still hadn't finished. A few times my parents even wrote a note asking the teacher not to penalize me for it being incomplete.
I do have learning disabilities and in college, I was granted all the time I needed to complete exams. I am intelligent, it's just my brain is very slow. And pushing when I am mentally tired makes everything so much worse. This is a problem my brother also has.
I also have ADHD which doesn't help in terms of focusing...
It's like having a car with a good engine but 4 flat tires that can't be fixed or replaced. I'm not dumb but in terms of productivity, I might as well be. Frustrating.

Can't survive very well here on a part-time job. You either have the money to do fun things or you have the time. If you leave your job for an adventure, it will not be there when you get back. Otherwise, it's a day here, a day there, and maybe a week at their convenience. Any potential new employer will look at that vacation year you took and decide you really don't want to work.

Only the more affluent people have both the time and the money. Affluent people with statusy jobs get to have lots of vaca time and extra money, even get to take sabbaticals.

The alternative is to be a dirtbag.
(Related to ski-bum, surf-bum.) Done that a couple of times but it doesn't mix with marriage and family.

17 Signs You Might Be a Dirtbag

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that each person should do what they can, make the best of the circumstances they find themselves in, whatever those may be. Sometimes it might be necessary to push your boundaries or get beyond your comfort zone, but trying to take on too much can lead to burn out and/or depression.

I work full time at the moment, but am struggling. I actually really wish I could have a well-paid part time job, rather than a not so well paid full time job, even if that means not having so much money.

I've worked full time, overtime, part time, for myself (all of the time) stayed home and raised children (on call & active 24 hrs)

I'm finding my comfort zone in part time work currently.

If I want more money or am getting bored, I pick up extra part time work.

Similar to working full time but over two jobs. The change between the jobs keeps it interesting for me.
I also have the option to drop one or reduce hours when necessary.

It will mean 'office hours' go out of the window. The competition for full time office hours type jobs is fierce.
Picking up a couple of part time bit jobs, not so much.
Plenty to be had and can add up to a decent enough pay packet if that's what you're after.
Just a different way of bringing in an income if money is one's goal.

New Threads

Top Bottom