• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difficulty sleeping on the floor

Ginseng

Christian
V.I.P Member
Just curious. I have never been able to sleep on the floor though it never seemed to bother other people I knew. My granddaughter (autistic) mentioned she can not sleep on the floor. I was just wondering if this could be an Autie thing?

I can sleep on the floor. I can sleep just about anywhere if I'm tired enough.

Took me many years to be able to sleep without the weight of blankets (ideally a stack of them, or one or two really heavy ones) over me, though, and I never sleep as well without it.

If I have a comfortable mattress and there are no rats or roaches, then I’m fine on the floor.

If I have a comfortable mattress and there are no rats or roaches, then I’m fine on the floor.

This makes me want to clarify -- @Ginseng, do you mean directly on the floor with nothing underneath you or on a mattress?

I thought you meant directly on the floor with nothing underneath you, but now I'm curious.

I can sleep on the floor. I can sleep just about anywhere if I'm tired enough.

Took me many years to be able to sleep without the weight of blankets (ideally a stack of them, or one or two really heavy ones) over me, though, and I never sleep as well without it.
Me too! I need the weight of a blanket. I can sleep on a mattress on the floor but I cannot sleep on the bare floor. It is too hard.

My first thought was that you meant a sleeping bag or mat of blankets or something. If a mattress means to sleep on the floor then I would think any bed is sleeping on the floor. The difference between a mattress and a mattress with a box spring seems like an arbitrary difference to me. In neither instance can you feel the floor as you do through a sleeping bag or mat of blankets.

But if a mattress does mean to sleep on the floor, then I've never not slept on the floor! :eek: Is that bad? I was told a box spring is just for height. Is that what the thread is about? Are some people unable to sleep at heights lower than a particular height, relative to the floor?

If we're not talking about mattresses, then I slept on the floor a lot as a kid and didn't mind but would not like it now. I would probably be able to fall asleep eventually, but I think it'd hurt in many ways.

Oh, I would never do that. There are too many things that like to come out after dark.
Yes, I hate it for that reason, but I literally cannot sleep on the floor. It hurts too much. I just wondered if that type of sensitivity was from our autism.

I don't understand why the idea would come up, actually.

Sleeping on the floor.

Unless it was an over crowded family sleep over function.

Because I don't think even in homeless shelters people have to
sleep on the floor.

Well, it came up because our church is having a sleep over tonight and the middle school girls will be sleeping on the floor, sleep bags, blankets. I know when I was a teenager and sometimes had to sleep on the floor. It never seemed to bother anyone else but I was never able to handle it. My granddaughter sometimes would sleep on the floor in her parents room rather than her own bed, but she said she was never able to sleep. She was too uncomfortable.

Sure, church or library or school sleep overs, kids make beds on the floor.
And at slumber parties in other girls' homes, in high school, we made beds on the floor.

But we made them comfortable.
Not skimpy.

There wasn't much sleeping, but we were comfortable.

I can somewhat sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag, but it'll be a very bad nights sleep. Probably wake up with a sore back and really stiff neck. Then again the "beds" (they weren't actual beds, but sofas) I slept on when I was a child, were somewhat variable in comfort, some had fallen through springs, so, I guess I learned to sleep pretty much anywhere if I had to.

I don't understand why the idea would come up, actually.

When I first lived on my own I slept on floors for a long time. It was a while before I could afford to buy an air mattress (and sometimes to replace said air mattress because my cats kept puncturing it), and then upgrade to a piece of foam.

When we were kids we used to 'camp out' in the basement which was sleeping in sleeping bags on the concrete floor. But I did wake up one night with a granddaddy long leg crawling across my face. lol Anyhow, when I was young it was not a problem. Now it is - this past summer when my son took me with him and his family out west and we'd camp - he had put a twin mattress in back of the truck for me to sleep on. :) But I have trouble sleeping anywhere outside my bed or my couch these days. And I have never been able to sleep in a car, plane or any vehicle. (I do have to be laying down)

For crying out loud! I would not be able to get up off the floor without help, lol.
When I was a kid, sleeping on the floor was great fun, like pretend camping.
I few years ago I would try to do stretches and yoga on the floor and I had 4 dogs...they thought it was wonderful to all jump on mommy time!

New Threads

Top Bottom