• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Different switch versions

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
Nintendo Switch OLED model - Nintendo - Official Site

Does anyone know how the OLED model (Will be released Oct 8 2021) will be better than the current switch? I'm not really sure, but it will cost a bit more. Hopefully, I won't be like fighting for one. I do want to have a Switch now, but I'm not in a super hurry to get one. I do want the newest one. Preferably one with a Castlevania theme if one could exist lol.

Also, are there other controller(s) I could get that would be compatible with the switch on a TV rather than
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller?
Buy Now – Nintendo Switch - Bundles, What's Included

Honestly I would make the choice based on price rather than "features".

I can tell you from way too much experience with this sort of thing, a LOT of what you see on manufacturer sites are, well... it's all marketing buzz. Which really shouldnt be trusted.

They tout a "better" screen, but as with 4K TVs, the vast majority of users by far either wont be able to tell the difference, or the difference will be small enough that it's nowhere near being worth the price increase.

On top of that, even if the screen genuinely is a good bit better, it's only worth it if you plan on doing a LOT of the portable mode, which is the only time it matters. And that has... issues. Be warned that the thing is a rather uncomfortable device... it is NOT well designed from an ergonomic standpoint OR a functionality standpoint (the godawful layout of both the sticks AND the buttons can seriously impede pretty much everything... I dunno what the heck they were thinking), and just looking at it I see every single one of the problems that the original version has (they're very obvious even just from a visual standpoint)... as usual, Nintendo doesnt learn. They never do. The Joycons are also likely to be inaccurate and have problems... just to put it in perspective, "joycon drift" is a VERY common (and game-ruining) issue with the current ones, but ol' Nintendo literally likes to pretend that "it's not a real issue". As a company, they are like that. Great games, crappy everything else. They've honestly ALWAYS been like that, right back to the NES days (those things never worked right and broke if you looked at them too hard). Dont expect the Switch in handheld mode (or the Joycons in general) to work to the quality of a real controller. I gave up on the Joycons entirely a long while ago and consider them totally useless. They only get used for like, maybe 15 minutes on a plane trip and that's it.

Though, the more important main point I try to make about the portable mode is that it's a fantastic way to screw up your hand/wrist/arm from too much use. Yes, it's that bad. Oh, you wont feel it at first unless you already have issues, but... take it from me, that invisible damage adds up, and once it finally triggers, it's incredibly painful and usually permanent. I made all those mistakes with other devices a long while ago, and it's part of why I go to physical therapy. I *definitely* recommend heavily limiting use of the thing's portable mode. Very heavily. Handheld gaming devices have always had issues with this, but the Switch is particularly problematic for it. Dont get me wrong, good games on it, but... the docked mode is really where it's at. With a real controller (the joycons are EVEN WORSE if used in their disconnected state).

All of that is why it's honestly probably a far better idea to simply buy the cheaper option, whatever that is... you're getting essentially the same device instead of paying more for a bunch of marketing buzzwords.

Now, this would all be different if the thing actually had a POWER increase, as it's always been rather weak... but this model does not have that (nor would I have expected it to). And if it did, it'd be drastically more expensive.

In the end, just be sure to think very carefully about your purchase. Dont trust marketing, and dont even trust "expert" articles on the subject (particularly when the thing isnt out yet). And think even more carefully about how much the upgraded version is truly worth. Frankly, I sure wouldnt say it's worth the $50 increase that the article mentions.

Please note that I say all of this as someone who does indeed have a Switch, which I quite like... in docked mode. While I can sound quite negative it aint like I hate the machine.

I wonder if current Nintendo Switch games would play on this model

I'm sure they will, all of them. Nintendo can be a very special brand of stupid sometimes, but even they wouldnt make THAT mistake.

What the “OLED Model” means for the future of Nintendo Switch Looks like since I don't have one at all, it is worth it for me to get this one. I'm guessing I should pre-order it too.

Nintendo Switch pro-controllers ports are compatible with other controllers.
:)
Best third-party controllers for Nintendo Switch 2021 | iMore

I can't really tell you much about the new Switch. But I can tell you some of the PROS and CONS about the OLED screen that it will get.

PROS: You'll get deeper, darker blacks and more vibrant colors. Plus, it will use less power, the darker/dimmer the scene on the screen is, the less power it will consume.

CONS: They are prone to "burn-in". Any kind of static(non-animated) image that stay on the screen for a long time can leave a permanent mark on the screen.

Misery, you said something about the controllers being too small, which does feel to be the case. I've only played on a switch where it seems someone had paid for additional controllers that you can actually properly hold and play with.

I guess I should be glad I was never crazy about portable anything.

Misery, you said something about the controllers being too small, which does feel to be the case. I've only played on a switch where it seems someone had paid for additional controllers that you can actually properly hold and play with.

I guess I should be glad I was never crazy about portable anything.

It's not so much them being too small, but moreso everything about the shape being totally wrong (though they ARE at the same time too small if detatched). There's a reason why nobody makes totally flat controllers anymore. Not to mention just other bad design aspects.

The additional controller you're thinking of is the Pro controller. That one IS well designed but yes, gotta buy it seperately. It's easy enough to use and charges via a USB cable.

I can't really tell you much about the new Switch. But I can tell you some of the PROS and CONS about the OLED screen that it will get.

PROS: You'll get deeper, darker blacks and more vibrant colors. Plus, it will use less power, the darker/dimmer the scene on the screen is, the less power it will consume.

CONS: They are prone to "burn-in". Any kind of static(non-animated) image that stay on the screen for a long time can leave a permanent mark on the screen.

I can't win! lol ugh.

New Threads

Top Bottom