• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Different Actions In A Relationship With Someone With Autism

Hi everyone! I have been dating my boyfriend for a little over a month now. We both just graduated high school and have been best friends for two years. I have known that he has high functioning autism and I could see the little signs. But something that I've never encountered with him is a change in how he interacts. He's become short, and uses less emotion but claims that nothing has changed and he's still just as in love with me. He has always been very honest so I do believe him. He's also been someone who talks a lot and always wants to have a conversation. Is this common and if so how should I handle it? Thank you!

Yeah, it sounds like he's going through some sort of burnout. I also become short when I'm emotionally drained, and relationships can be really hard during this kind of time. Just give him some space, let him recharge and come to you when he's ready.

Sounds like he's stressed out/ in need of some space and alone time. He may not even be aware of that himself, just that he's tired and maybe cares a bit less or tends to be a bit more irritable than before. Rest should help.

Give him space for sure. You're his girlfriend so be there for him if something's up but do give him space.

New Threads

Top Bottom