• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Didn't get to speak to a nurse

Aspergers_Aspie

Injury, my hospital/NHS 24 experience. Ice in my fridge freezer compartment iced over the drawers, so I tried pulling out a drawer with force. The plastic handle snapped off and cut my two fingers. There was a lot of bleeding and a lot of skin was taken off. When I got to the hospital, the Minor injuries signs pointed to the left, but the actual way was an main entrance, not to the left. When I finally got to that entrance it was closed, I eventually found a buzzer, minor injuries said they were closing and to go to accident and emergency. The door was closed had to knock on another room door to ask a nurse, she had to buzz me through, I wasn't at reception, I was at the wrong end that made me anxious, then asked my DOB and I don't normally give that verbally, I would normally write down, I didn't have money for night bus, my battery was at 4 percent. When I got home, I called NHS 24, the person asked me what time did my injuries occur, I answered a few hours ago, I didn't look at the time. Got too anxious and said I couldn't prove my Aspergers as I couldn't show her my diagnosis letter and I ended the call. I tried four other times, being asked what number I am calling from, does it take incoming calls am I at home, they said they would put me through to a nurse but they didn't.

Hope you are OK now. Hospitals can be so confusing, I believe they mean well however. Yes I have had to call out my name, birthdate and first line of address very often there. It's not a great idea for people with any security concerns. Your accident made me think about how I approach our fridges. Easily done with those flimsy drawers. Hope you have everything you need.

Oh dear, that did sound very traumatic. Maybe carry a card, that says it's better for you to write down what they need from you, due to issues you deal with. It's amazing you got thru that.

When my hand has healed I will either compose a letter myself or with the help of a support worker explaining what made things difficult. Also the NHS 24 asked me repeatedly where I was exactly. I have the records of my calls to them and the automated message before a call handler spoke to me says calls are recorded so I have proof.
What with the GP practice staff shortages in the news sadly, I was lucky I saw someone today.
I have trouble sleeping anyway but this whole experience has intensified my sleep issues. But first thing this morning, when my gp practice opened, a GP asked a nurse to clean and place a temporary wound on my fingers, then the GP made an appointment for me later today at a hospital. But as I wanted to see where I go and check buses (and I thought better arriving too early then too late), I got to the reception about an hour early and asked if I could wait in the waiting area but was told to come back at my appointment time and go to the cafe. If it's due to covid, restrictions have lifted and the cafe and waiting areas are still indoors. And what about if a patient hasn't money to spend at the cafe.

Sorry this is difficult for you. Maybe sitting in the café without a purchase is fine? I often have sat in outdoor area with seats, around hospital grounds, too. Hope you can find a comfortable place to wait. Well done for finding it! I would go early too.

Sorry this is difficult for you. Maybe sitting in the café without a purchase is fine? I often have sat in outdoor area with seats, around hospital grounds, too. Hope you can find a comfortable place to wait. Well done for finding it! I would go early too.

The cafe had a notice saying that the chairs were for people making a purchase. But that was okay I found a seat that was nearby the entrance and it had a roof.

I feel a bit bad for getting upset, I know I can't help having aspergers and I shouldn't apologize for having it but at the same time there are people with very serious health problems sadly.

Injury, my hospital/NHS 24 experience. Ice in my fridge freezer compartment iced over the drawers, so I tried pulling out a drawer with force. The plastic handle snapped off and cut my two fingers. There was a lot of bleeding and a lot of skin was taken off. When I got to the hospital, the Minor injuries signs pointed to the left, but the actual way was an main entrance, not to the left. When I finally got to that entrance it was closed, I eventually found a buzzer, minor injuries said they were closing and to go to accident and emergency. The door was closed had to knock on another room door to ask a nurse, she had to buzz me through, I wasn't at reception, I was at the wrong end that made me anxious, then asked my DOB and I don't normally give that verbally, I would normally write down, I didn't have money for night bus, my battery was at 4 percent. When I got home, I called NHS 24, the person asked me what time did my injuries occur, I answered a few hours ago, I didn't look at the time. Got too anxious and said I couldn't prove my Aspergers as I couldn't show her my diagnosis letter and I ended the call. I tried four other times, being asked what number I am calling from, does it take incoming calls am I at home, they said they would put me through to a nurse but they didn't.

I don’t understand the relevance of having to prove you had Aspergers before applying first aid to treat a wound. I had a similar experience in getting prepared for a colonoscopy. A nurse or doctor gave me an impromptu mental health evaluation before taking me in for the Procedure. The experience triggered me to become angry, and I viewed it as a a form of gaslighting by a medical professional. It makes no sense.

I don’t understand the relevance of having to prove you had Aspergers before applying first aid to treat a wound. I had a similar experience in getting prepared for a colonoscopy. A nurse or doctor gave me an impromptu mental health evaluation before taking me in for the Procedure. The experience triggered me to become angry, and I viewed it as a a form of gaslighting by a medical professional. It makes no sense.

Sometimes at certain facilities, medical personnel do gaslight with a sadistic slant. It reminds of those nurses that kill patients. Trolls to roam hospital corridors.

Anyone could claim to have aspergers so I am going to enquire with the autism charity which I am registered with about me carrying something which states I have aspergers or something from my GP like a copy of my aspergers diagnosis letter.

Anyone could claim to have aspergers so I am going to enquire with the autism charity which I am registered with about me carrying something which states I have aspergers or something from my GP like a copy of my aspergers diagnosis letter.

Still, if someone cuts their hand they need the wound sterilized, possibly stitched, and bandaged. Whether the person has Aspergers or not is not relevant. You should be entitled to the same treatment as a neurotypical in this example. My concern would be if you are treated differently because of the letter.

Last edited:
Yes I would normally write down my details anywhere rather than give them verbally. For two reasons, although unlikely, someone could be listening to aid them in trying to commit identity fraud. Secondly, I see it as a private thing. An example of this is, another service user at the aspie drop-in I attend doesn't like staff saying his second name, around other service users. I know that some staff in public libraries say a library user's second name, call them Mr/Mrs/Miss something.

New Threads

Top Bottom