• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did you ever do anything to prepare for torture?

Pats

V.I.P Member
Title sounds a little extreme - not meant to be. I was just remembering something as I took my trash out barefoot and ouched my way across the gravel. lol

Every spring I used to practice running barefoot up and down the rock driveway - they were the pointy rocks. Because I was always barefoot and I knew my brother would take the first opportunity to grab my arm and run me up and down the driveway. And he'd do it all summer long. By the time he'd do that my feet were already used to the gravel.

I saw on television or in a movie a guy who was burning himself to prepare for the possibility of being kidnapped and tortured.

So I guess you can say I did that, minus the intent, and I'm ready to be kidnapped. ;)

Tattoos are torture, too, but I don't know what that prepares me for. More tattoos, I guess. :rolleyes:

8bc.jpg

There's one particular torture I have to endure. A certain painful medical examination. The last time I took paracetamol, but that was totally useless. I need to find some other way not to feel so much pain and discomfort.

I used to love going barefoot until I got neuropathy.
Now I can't stand barefoot even in the house.
Once I played a game of tennis barefoot and ended up in bed unable to walk
for the blisters on my feet for a couple of days!
Oh, well, I thought my feet were tough enough.

I trained for barefoot walking as a part of Kung Fu martial arts by walking barefoot through a park.
Then hot pavement and ice.

As far as a painful medical procedure, I had a core liver biopsy with no anesthesia or pain meds
once. Most people are anesthetised. I refused.
Learning how to mentally detach through meditation zone out is how I get through such
painful procedures.
Also learn self hypnosis.

For medical procedures I play a sort of game. I pretend I'm Macho Man from planet Testosterone and try not to show any reaction and chat like I don't feel a thing. My dentist thinks I'm actually dead. But that requires an audience. If a snake or something bit me while out alone, I'd probably just scream my head off.

Every spring I used to practice running barefoot up and down the rock driveway - they were the pointy rocks. Because I was always barefoot and I knew my brother would take the first opportunity to grab my arm and run me up and down the driveway. And he'd do it all summer long. By the time he'd do that my feet were already used to the gravel.

I think that shoes have made our feet lazy. When I was a teen, I always went barefooted in the summer. Puts some real beefy calluses on the bottom of your feet. When I worked at the marina, it was just easier to be barefooted anyways because I was always stepping in and out of the water to push boats in off the shore. But all day on the job. I was walking on everything from hot blacktop to gravel and even on the splinter infested boards on the docks and yes, I got some rather big splinter imbedded into the calluses of my feet. Hell, even stepping on broken glass was no problem.

When I was a teen I used to do gymnastics. And the palms of my hands would lose the first two layers of skin pretty quickly, even with the bandaging and chalk that you train with. So, to prepare for competitions I'd climb up and down the old gnarly spruce tree near my home almost to the top and down the opposite side over and over. Not only did it toughen my hands up, the spruce gum would stick in the cuts and heal them.

Last edited:
Only to be mindful of one of Friedrich Nietzsche's most famous quotes:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger".

Last edited:
I used to do a lot of whitewater kayaking in college. One summer I decided I didn’t want to bring Sandles anymore in my boat. So I began walking to the put-in/take-out bare foot. It didn’t take long to toughen up.

New Threads

Top Bottom