• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Diagnosing altzeimers

Kayla55

I'm not sure if there is a connection between ASD and altzeimers but some of my symptoms match.....
I discovered this when I heard clinical trials started for altzeimers cure
Anyone else have this....

People may experience:
Cognitive: mental decline, difficulty thinking and understanding, confusion in the evening hours, delusion, disorientation, forgetfulness, making things up, mental confusion, difficulty concentrating, inability to create new memories, inability to do simple maths, or inability to recognise common things
Behavioural: aggression, agitation, difficulty with self care, irritability, meaningless repetition of own words, personality changes, lack of restraint, or wandering and getting lost
Mood: anger, apathy, general discontent, loneliness, or mood swings
Psychological: depression, hallucination, or paranoia
Whole body: loss of appetite or restlessness
Also common: inability to combine muscle movements or jumbled speech

I think there's some overlap with the ASD and AD symptoms, which may make us worried/confused whether it's the latter that's causing them. Well, there's no other way to tell than to see a doctor, but I wouldn't be too worried. I think ASD people tend to be forgetful because there is also a great overlap with ADHD. We run more on autopilot, immersed in our thoughts and forgetting why we went upstairs. It happens to me too and I used to worry if I have some early signs of dementia (I'm 39 years old). I think most of us worry for nothing and to get a peace of mind, it might be a good idea to consult a physician.

I think there's some overlap with the ASD and AD symptoms, which may make us worried/confused whether it's the latter that's causing them. Well, there's no other way to tell than to see a doctor, but I wouldn't be too worried. I think ASD people tend to be forgetful because there is also a great overlap with ADHD. We run more on autopilot, immersed in our thoughts and forgetting why we went upstairs. It happens to me too and I used to worry if I have some early signs of dementia (I'm 39 years old). I think most of us worry for nothing and to get a peace of mind, it might be a good idea to consult a physician.
It's type of memory, Episodic is typical for asd but it's my Semantic memory that being disappearing slowly.
Nothing I can do, but I share to see if others have this then I know it's more common.

Alzheimer's is described as the protein build up or 'plaque' accumulation on brain cells leading to declining mental function and eventual death of the brain cells. A physical breakdown of the brain itself.

Cognitive and physical impacts are a result of the lost of brain tissue, (which doesn't regenerate). A similar, but slightly less severe form of the process is also a common finding in those with schizophrenia, but with schizophrenia it is limited to areas of cognitive function and processing.

I remember reading that ASD is correlated with an increased risk of early onset dementia, so I think it's at least a good idea to check if your suspicions are well founded. One of the difficulties of dementia is that it tends to be diagnosed very late as the effects are quite weak to begin with. I'm not saying you have dementia, mind you, just making a comment in general.

I remember reading that ASD is correlated with an increased risk of early onset dementia, so I think it's at least a good idea to check if your suspicions are well founded. One of the difficulties of dementia is that it tends to be diagnosed very late as the effects are quite weak to begin with. I'm not saying you have dementia, mind you, just making a comment in general.

That sounds like what's happening to my mother. I'm sure I inherited Aspergers from her, and her mind is almost totally gone at 71.

New Threads

Top Bottom