• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Detailing cars at a dealership...

TheGuyWithTheTacoma

As of right now, I am gainfully employed. I have been gainfully employed since December 2014. I worked as a barback at a bar/music venue for more than 4 years (December 2014-January 2019, and I detailed cars at a dealership for 10 months, which overlapped briefly with the barbacking job (September 2018-June 2019). My dad got me a job at the defense contractor where he works, and I've been there since September 2019. I am still technically employed at the bar, but I've basically been furloughed because the place has been closed indefinitely for renovations.

I'm pretty sure that all dealerships and detail shops are different, but here are the reasons I left that job after less than a year:

• Flat rate instead of hourly (Equivalent to $10 an hour, with flat rate based on size of vehicle)
  • Mandatory 9-hour shifts every Saturday for part-time workers
  • No air-conditioning in the detail shop
  • Aging equipment
  • Had to do stuff like clean the shop, and shovel snow in the winter, for free
  • Not enough parking for employees
  • Treated like second-class citizens by upper management

To be fair, I have met the owner of the dealer a few times and like him a lot. I also loved my coworkers and supervisors in the detail shop. The primary reason I left was because those mandatory 9-hour Saturday shifts were slowly but surely stripping me of my sanity. If you enlist in the military, or become a police officer or a paramedic, then you full well you will be working Saturdays. For a guy like me, Saturdays are meant for having fun, spending time with family, drinking with friends, or doing housework. With the exception of my one NT friend who is a truck driver (and makes a ton of money doing this) and his wife who is a custodian at a school, and my former coworkers from the bar, none of my friends (ASD or NT) work Saturdays.

New Threads

Top Bottom