• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Declaring autism

ヤス三ン

I currently work at a SEN school through an agency, but now there is a job opening through the school, I am filling out my application form and am wondering if I should declare my autism on the disability section....?
I don't have an official diagnosis but have realised that it am very likely autistic after taking the AQ test and reading up about autism.
What do you think?

I currently work at a SEN school through an agency, but now there is a job opening through the school, I am filling out my application form and am wondering if I should declare my autism on the disability section....?
I don't have an official diagnosis but have realised that it am very likely autistic after taking the AQ test and reading up about autism.
What do you think?

Seems fundamentally a bad idea to solicit such consideration without a formal medical diagnosis. Of course once you formally establish you have a form of autism, for better or worse it could follow you for the remainder of your life. Being mindful that discrimination can still occur no matter how illegal it may be in any particular jurisdiction.

Any number of us here believe in the notion of keeping it all on a "need-to-know" basis only. Though it's also no secret that some countries offer autistic people more services and consideration than others. I'm guessing based on your spelling you are not American. Which may well be to your advantage in such a situation.

Last edited:
I don't have an official diagnosis but have realized that it am very likely autistic after taking the AQ test and reading up about autism.
What do you think?

No. Is that common practice for people to declare other self-diagnosed illnesses, disorders, etc on job applications? I can't think of any such example. Also I don't think it would do you any good to do so if you're in the U.S. and your intention to declare a self-diagnoses would have anything to do with wanting to ensure accommodations under the ADA. I believe accommodations by an employer would need to be a result of a professional diagnoses. I can't imagine what it would be like for employers in the U.S. if anyone could self-diagnose and expect the employer to comply.

I can't imagine what it would be like for employers in the U.S. if anyone could self-diagnose and expect the employer to comply.

Agreed. It strikes me as a very bad idea given the Employment at-will Doctrine. That such a scenario could involve termination for cause- loosely based on "other reasons". Without a formal medical diagnosis as a matter of record, such a request of an employee may appear as an attempt to defraud their employer.

And when something arises to make your employer not trust you, don't expect to remain on the job indefinitely. Where creatively or not, they will find the circumstances to lawfully terminate you.

Then again in another country like the UK, perhaps it all may be handled quite differently in comparison.

Last edited:
HardtofindDimwittedGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

Ed

For me, the fact that I am on the spectrum is on a need to know basis only.

What do you think?

If you think your autism might or will affect your work, it might be best to let your immediate supervisor know and try to work something out. That what I did with my supervisor and I think it was the right call, though it took a year since I started working for him and I was pretty sure I could trust him.

If you get the job, it would be based on your qualifications only (which you achieved irrespective of your autism) and as others have mentioned, unless you have specific (larger scale) accommodations in mind and a formal diagnosis, putting your self diagnosis on a contract would probably just cause complications.

New Threads

Top Bottom