• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Declared Incompetent.. What do I do...

Can't you object that decision?

Though on the other hand, and this is probably somewhat of an issue here, many people who are in assisted living think they don't need it,yet social workers, healthcare workers might have a different view on that. What someone wants (you in this case) versus what's the smartest and best choice for you don't always add up. However, I will give you that assisted living often is such a cumbersome environment and they often handle through procedures and don't listen to clients... and for that I can totally understand why you want to live on your own instead.

It might be worth more to look how much leeway there is to make your living situation as comfortable for you within the set guidelines of living assisted.

What someone wants (you in this case) versus what's the smartest and best choice for you don't always add up.

No one should be forced to do something in the name of "what's best for them".

No one should be forced to do something in the name of "what's best for them".

I think governments more and more disagree with that... in plenty of "first world countries" they will force you into some kind of support system if you're a hazard to yourself or others.

Do I agree with that? No, not at all, but it's not really my call to judge whether AspiePie is competent.

But as there are rules and regulations that keep him where he is, I think it's fair to point out that he could appeal that decision, something that's still a right in those same countries that might enforce someone to get into an assisted living program.

Also; how did you come about this living situation AspiePie ? Did you sign up for this? Did your parents?

Yes. However the legal appeals process strikes me as being uh...arduous on a number of levels.
Can any of you tell me how to do legal appeal and how to even know which mental health court my case is even in....

Can any of you tell me how to do legal appeal and how to even know which mental health court my case is even in....

If it were me, I'd start googling attorneys in your state regarding appeals processes relative to competency rulings. And collect every bit of legal paperwork in your possession pertaining to your ruling, ready to discuss over the phone if need be.

When it comes to law and attorneys in general, there's a lot out there. Just a matter of finding one who might be interested in your case...and most of all under what terms of compensation.

If it were me, I'd start googling attorneys in your state regarding appeals processes relative to competency rulings. And collect every bit of legal paperwork in your possession pertaining to your ruling, ready to discuss over the phone if need be.

When it comes to law and attorneys in general, there's a lot out there. Just a matter of finding one who might be interested in your case...and most of all under what terms of compensation.
How would I go about that and what exactly do I google.. What terms?

How would I go about that and what exactly do I google.. What terms?

Google literally what I posted. Start with strings of text like "appeals processes relative to competency rulings"...and include your state. Then look for actual attorneys who do this sort of work...

Any time you're searching for legal information the jurisdiction is critical. Otherwise you're liable to find something really helpful that pertains to another state or sometimes even another country like Canada or the UK.

I think governments more and more disagree with that... in plenty of "first world countries" they will force you into some kind of support system if you're a hazard to yourself or others.

Do I agree with that? No, not at all, but it's not really my call to judge whether AspiePie is competent.

But as there are rules and regulations that keep him where he is, I think it's fair to point out that he could appeal that decision, something that's still a right in those same countries that might enforce someone to get into an assisted living program.

Also; how did you come about this living situation AspiePie ? Did you sign up for this? Did your parents?
My parents had me sign a contract stating they were my legal guardians.. then I was arrest and plead incompetent to proceed under a lawyers advice.. I have been through the mental health system for a number of years and the case has been dropped but the government won't let me live on my own due to statements which I don't know how to contradict.. I know there is court involved but I have never been able to go to it...

Google literally what I posted. Start with strings of text like "appeals processes relative to competency rulings"...and include your state. Then look for actual attorneys who do this sort of work...

Any time you're searching for legal information the jurisdiction is critical. Otherwise you're liable to find something really helpful that pertains to another state or sometimes even another country like Canada or the UK.
I am mostly getting text on the Law rather then someone who can help?

I am mostly getting text on the Law rather then someone who can help?

Try literal strings of texts...like "Attorneys/lawyers representing competency rulings/hearings/evaluations". Simple rule of thumb- don't be afraid to be literal. Modern search engines function so much better. Sometimes you just have to experiment with combinations of terms and their synonyms to find what you're really looking for.

You might also investigate things for attorneys like "Handbook for Working with Defendants & Offenders with Mental Disorders". Whatever gives you a lead...

Last edited:
Try literal strings of texts...like "Attorneys/lawyers representing competency rulings/hearings/evaluations". Simple rule of thumb- don't be afraid to be literal. Modern search engines function so much better. Sometimes you just have to experiment with combinations of terms and their synonyms to find what you're really looking for.

You might also investigate things for attorneys like "Handbook for Working with Defendants & Offenders with Mental Disorders". Whatever gives you a lead...
Okay I got a law website that can help.. Now how do I get documentation and figure out which mental health court is hearing my case....

Okay I got a law website that can help.. Now how do I get documentation and figure out which mental health court is hearing my case....

If you have utterly no paperwork at all regarding your own competency hearing, that's probably a matter to discuss with whomever legal professionals that you can discuss the matter with.

Someone likely has power of attorney over your legal affairs, but on this sort of thing I don't think you'd want to apprise them of your intent to appeal. Just another thing to run past whatever legal professionals you can connect with. ;)

Can't ASAN help you? Or the best disability rights group in the country where you live? Can't hurt to ask.

If you were forced or coerced into signing some document, that would be an issue to mention.

It may or may not be a good idea to get the media involved. Your call.

Possibly a last resort, contact the UN and find out if your human rights – you know, the ones you are supposed to be granted just by belonging to our species – have been compromised.

Can't ASAN help you? Or the best disability rights group in the country where you live? Can't hurt to ask.

If you were forced or coerced into signing some document, that would be an issue to mention.

It may or may not be a good idea to get the media involved. Your call.

Possibly a last resort, contact the UN and find out if your human rights – you know, the ones you are supposed to be granted just by belonging to our species – have been compromised.
Okay I emailed those ASAN people you told me about...

The cost alone is subject to be astronomical. Unfortunately, I think the best way to get out of supervised living is to go into it and prove that you don't need it. Then your standing to appeal will be stronger. Pay close attention to the rules and what is expected and above all else, be aware of your own behavior and what impressions the staff get from you. It will not be easy, and likely will take years.

New Threads

Top Bottom