• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Death

C

Chris

If anyone was wondering, my Grandma died today. She has been in hospital for a few days, it was never looking good, but I never expected her to die. She's always pulled through before. It's an odd feeling more than sadness. My dad phoned me on my way back from college telling me she was deteriorating, and she later died at about 6pm today. It shook me up a little bit I think. Anyway, I don't really want to talk about that for at least a few days.

What are your views on death? Does it bother you as much as it "should"? It's never really phased me, when people I've known have died, but as I'm getting older it seems to be getting.. 'worse' or 'deeper'. Vague terms, but I hope you know what I mean.

Does death bother you?

I hate people dying, the people that I love anyway. I cried when my granddad died. I was round his house at the time. I hugged him about 5 minutes after it happened. 2 days after my birthday. Meh.

But yeah death does affect me. And I am REALLY not looking forward to when my doggy dies (he's old :()

I am sorry for your loss, Chris. Hugs.

Sort of sort of doesn't.
Like, if someone is dying I don't really acknowledge it.
Only when they're dead does it actually hit me. And it hits me hard imo. I find it harder than most to cope with death, imo, but I guess most people do.
But I'm weird about me and death. I sort of want to die, not because I hate life, I've just developed a morbid obsession with death, and I'm really curious. It's sort of(sort of? LOL) ****ed up, but a lot of the time I'll imagine my death and smile o_O. Most of the time when I cross a road I like to picture me getting hit by one of the cars and then I grin. IDK... I'm really ****ed up. LOL.
But yeah. It makes me wonder a lot when another person dies. It's hard.
I also can't stand talking to people about death. It's stupid. Like, someone I know's death.
My condolences Chris :(. It's terrible when a family member dies :(.
EMZ=]

Thanks for the kind words. :p

Yeah, I can relate to that Emor. My grandma was dying and I was told she would probably have 1-3 days left... but it just didn't compute until now. It sucks. :(

I can understand the fascination with death too. I often wonder. It's just I'm sure I'd rather be alive until my time comes, when all will be revealed. :p A lifetime isn't so long to wait for those answers.

Death has never really been something that has affected me all too much. I've been in a couple situations that could have ended either way, maybe that's why.

Btw here's something odd to be told: You are partnered with someone for an assignment, but on the due date you show up and nothing has been accomplished. You later get a full week's extension on account of him dieing. Your first thought obviously is "this a joke?". Second was "Woo-hoo, extension!"

*edit*
Of course, condolences as well

I don't mean this in a bad way, but... ashes to ashes, dust to dust, life is short so party we MUST!

Unfortunately, I am not good at following thru with that.

My dad died about a year ago after being in hospital for a week. It was very sudden. When I first found out, I couldn't believe it. I just felt dumb. However, I didn't cry. As much as I really cared about my dad, I didn't cry. It's almost like part of me expected it. Even during the funeral, I didn't shed a single tear. Everyone else around me looked unhappy. It was pretty unusual.

Now, I would say it's because of I have Aspergers, but I cried when my 'taid' (grandfather) died. That said, I was only 12 when that happened, so I probably wasn't mentally prepared for it. I'm guessing I've became more accustomed to death as I've got older.

However, I've cried about my dad in dreams. That seems to be the only way I've been mourning. While I miss him a lot, I never feel like bursting into tears while I'm conscious.

I cried about my grandmother in dreams too. I was happy on the day of her wake and the day of her funeral tho. I was 10. I had never been to a wake or funeral before. I was excited. Me and my cousin, who was 7, played happily on that day and pigged out on the food during the reception. She came to me in a dream, tho, when I was 15, and we talked, just chatting but I told her about my problems and cried to her and had to go to the bathroom and finish crying in there, a couple of times. (In the dream I was in a restaurant with a bunch of dead people including my grandmother. They were her age and from the same time as her, wearing suits (I think they were mostly men) and she had on a 1920s-style dress and hairdo and a string of pearls around her throat. She was only in her 20s, por looked like it anyway. I didn't know who she was when I first saw her and she said "Don't you recognize me?" and then she turned into my 70-year-old grandmother. Now, I never paid attention to who used what expressions, really, when I was 10 and younger. But when I told my mother about this dream she said that it was just like her to say something like that.

My mum died in 1993, cancer, and it was an awful way to go. I was 27, though to be honest I think it would have been just as bad if I was 37 or 47. It was like the world became a totally different place that day, a barren rock devoid of anything meaningful. I went through episodes where I couldn't really cope with it for about 7 or 8 years afterwards, and there are still times when I cry about it. Sometimes I still dream that she is alive, that somehow the cancer stopped just before she died and that she is still lying in a darkened room somewhere, weak and not able to move but alive. I hope that my kids never have to watch me die like that, to have their memories of me poisoned by watching me being eaten alive by something like cancer. That is the only death that has really affected me, I've lost plenty of other people and to be honest no other death had any real effect on me, apart from my first dog (I still dream that he is alive as well, although he'd be 43 years old and the world's oldest dog by now).

Sorry to hear about your stories guys, I feel a lot better today. It's just a weird feeling whenver I think about it. :p

My tutor who I knew very well(he was more a family friend tbh) got a brain tumour and I didn't think he'd die tbh. I'd known for months he was going to die. But I honestly didn't think he was going too, and it didn't really mean anything to me when my parents said he was going to die, because I didn't think he would because it sounded ludicrous.
When he died I think I had a hard time coping but yeah. Not that bad I suppose.
EMZ=]

To be perfectly honest, if ever a thread were a candidate for the "serious stuff" forum... this is definitely it!

Haha, I just realized that I got negative rep from stating my opinions on death. I love how people over-react on some of the smallest things, I'm surprised people may think that just because my second thought is relief due to an extension means also that I didn't feel any remorse whatsoever. :rolleyes2:

*edit* Huh, someone neutralized my neg. rep. Not complaining XD

Hello nice to meet you, my view of death?
Well i used to fear death..but now i am looking forward to it.

It is scary tho never really go away that feeling but when i die i hope to finally rest in peace.

New Threads

Top Bottom