• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing With Sound Sensitivity

Table

I get very easily distracted an overwhelmed by sounds. This is definitely a struggle in school. In certain classes kids are either very talkative, or playing music. I find it very hard to focus and do my work when the kids in the class are playing the minecraft theme music.
I know some people use items called "ear protectors" to help deal with sound.
Are there ear protectors that will dull background noise but still allow me to hear the teacher and everything?
My mother refuses to consider the idea because she thinks I won't be able to hear the teacher.
If you have other suggestions on how to deal with it other than ear protectors, please let me know as well.

I have some noise cancelling earbuds that are supposedly high fidelity and allow you to hear people talk while still dulling background noise, but I've found they kind of dull everything equally. I like listening to music with one headphone in, so I have something to focus on while still being able to hear people talk. I don't know if that would be allowed in class, though.

Regular earplugs are quite good at blocking out higher frequency sounds which for me are the main culprit for distraction, but will still allow me to hear and understand a human voice. The other thing I need to do it get closer to the sound that I actually want to hear, in your case, that would mean sitting near the teacher.

You could ask for an FM system as an accomodation - your teacher wears a microphone while lecturing and you have earphones/earbuds playing the audio from the microphone. You could use noise cancelling earphones with it.

An audiologist recommended an FM system as an accomodation for me in classrooms because I have hyperacusis and can’t filter background noise out.

I have some noise cancelling earbuds that are supposedly high fidelity and allow you to hear people talk while still dulling background noise, but I've found they kind of dull everything equally. I like listening to music with one headphone in, so I have something to focus on while still being able to hear people talk. I don't know if that would be allowed in class, though.

You could ask for an FM system as an accomodation - your teacher wears a microphone while lecturing and you have earphones/earbuds playing the audio from the microphone. You could use noise cancelling earphones with it.

An audiologist recommended an FM system as an accomodation for me in classrooms because I have hyperacusis and can’t filter background noise out.

The ear bud suggestion is a good idea, but I really love music and it might be to much of a distraction for me. Plus you’re right, some of my classes won’t be okay with me listening to music.

I think the FM system might be almost to much. I still manage to get my work done even with the noise, but I get anxiety and can’t always focus completely. But I don’t think it’s that bad.

I used to wear headphones in class while listening to music to block out the noise in my classroom. I only wore them when we had to work on assignments and I didn’t have to listen to the teacher. The teachers allowed it because I was a good student and never caused trouble or disruptions.

New Threads

Top Bottom