• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

shinobi

My question is, how do you cope?

I still struggle even to this very day when everything overwhelms me. I've had grown adults making fun of me in public, labeling me as a "spoiled brat" and demanding me to be taken to hospital to be "drugged and locked up".

Usually when people approach me slowly in a quiet tone and just talk to me, I start to calm down. Ear defenders really help as well. I keep a colouring book with me as well, some retailers sell colouring books for adults, I find it very therapeutic.

I try and stay away from things like that will cause that. If i cant then i build myself up until I can face it.

I'm more prone to "shutdowns" these days, but I'm pretty good at telling when it's going to happen with enough warning that I can at least get myself outside so it at least isn't happening in the middle of a crowded public space. I've found that playing time-waster games that don't require much thought on my phone really helps keep me distracted and grounded enough to avoid a lot of "meltdowns"/"shutdowns".

Avoiding situations that trigger me is the only defence that has ever worked for me. I'm more of a shutdowner but the principle's the same. I have structured my life and routine to minimise my exposure to things that get to me. Work was a major source of such stress for many years and one I could do little about, but even that is under control now.

Think of the old joke...

"Doctor, Doctor - it hurts when I do this..."
"Well don't do it then!"

I would say "meltdown" but I agree with other people saying that it sounds offensive so I won't use it in this thread title.

I don't have meltdowns. Never have. So I have nothing to add to this thread but since I'm here do yourself a favour: what sounds offensive and what is offensive is different. My major gripe with the autism community is that a lot of people get too upset over the words used instead of having discussion and challenging views on matters that really do make a difference.

Being careful with words is good but make sure you don't over do it.

Last edited:
My question is, how do you cope?

I still struggle even to this very day when everything overwhelms me. I've had grown adults making fun of me in public, labeling me as a "spoiled brat" and demanding me to be taken to hospital to be "drugged and locked up".

Usually when people approach me slowly in a quiet tone and just talk to me, I start to calm down. Ear defenders really help as well. I keep a colouring book with me as well, some retailers sell colouring books for adults, I find it very therapeutic.
You will find there are nearly as many ways to deal with these things as there are members here. Everyone is different and needs to deal with it in their own way. When I feel it getting to be too much, I deal with it by going into the woods, finding a decent size stick, and beating rocks with it while screaming until exhausted. I don't let it get to the point where I lose control, I do something about it before it gets that far.

Having chronic agoraphobia and social phobia, stops me from meltdowns in public.

At home, I have to be alone, but taking medicine for anger issues and that does calm me down a lot.

I try and stay away from things like that will cause that. If i cant then i build myself up until I can face it.
This. I avoid known triggers, and if I can't deal with something at that point, or am upset, I give it time; I wait until I feel I can face it. Unfortunately, it's not always possible to avoid problems as some incidents can crop up suddenly, and these are hard to deal with. I often engage in a discreet stim, such as biting the inside of my cheek, or rubbing a key in my pocket, to distract myself and dissipate the surge of negative emotion.

Having chronic agoraphobia and social phobia, stops me from meltdowns in public.

At home, I have to be alone, but taking medicine for anger issues and that does calm me down a lot.

I don't have a fear of leaving the house, but I am an introvert and I agree being indoors away from large crowds helps avoid me from having one of my episodes.

I have to take medication to calm me down too, my doctor has prescribed me with antidepressants and tranquillizers.

Depending on the type of meltdown I either go for a walk in the park or lying in bed in fetal position.

Trigger warning. So you have gone into full meltdown mode, everyone is exiting around you.

How do you handle it?? Food, medication, mindless amusement, crank phone calls, carton of Ben & Jerry's Brownie Truffle. Onsie pajamas? Share your answer for quick-term sanity for the rest of us......

Hello,
Do any of you find that you go through meltdowns for periods of time. What I mean is, I had one one day, then another 2 days later and then would be much better for a while before starting the cycle again?
At the moment I have no reason for them (often the case with me) bit they seem to be happening in various forms as stated above.

Confusing I know. Thought I would reach out.
Thanks

Hi
Does anyone else have meltdowns that cause them to freeze in a catatonic way that leaves them unable to speak.
I freeze up and cant move and cant move my eyes and speak .
I have been lucky that most of the time I am with someone that knows me.I normally get a 10 min window that enables me to put my self some where safe.
The worse one I had was in a busy Moroccan market with heaps of noise,bikes and mopeds and box trailers that run through the walkways.
I felt it happen and found a gap in a stall so I could sit and learn against a wall ,my friends saw me in distress and helped me . It took 30 mins before I could make basic one word senstances and a hour to recover.
The next day I was burned out.
It does scare when it happens and I am alone and no one understands

New Threads

Top Bottom