• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing with angry people

AlexPl

Hello, i have been volunteering at the day group for young people with autism for the past 2 years. Most of our students are not capable of fully autonomous life (at least not yet), we are trying to do our best to create a space for socialization and gaining new useful skills. We cook our dinners together, do arts and crafts and many other things.

The question I have is what to do with angry and aggressive people. So far we have about 12 students and a few volunteers (and a couple of staff), and we are a happy bunch, obviously some people have their moments, but kindness rules so far. Should unfriendly angry people be turned away (perhaps they are not ready for this experience) - or should we try to integrate them at a risk of upsetting the current balance?

In life I do eschew people who are angry, jealous/aggressive, not completely, i would still answer their question if they have any for me, but I limit interactions with such people as much as I can, without completely pushing them away. I believe that everyone can change. The question is, should we try and help them within a group or, perhaps, they need to get rid of a few demons on their own before joining such group. Perhaps someone encountered similar situations?

Here's a suggestion. Your group's mission statement or ground rules should state that anger outbursts are damaging to the "safe space" atmosphere and will not be tolerated. Then, when a participant tends in that direction, find a quiet moment to reiterate the ground rule and let them know that if there is a repeat of the angry behavior, they will have to leave the group and work on outbursts and anger management before returning.

@GadAbout is 100% right. Your group should provide training or guidance on how to deal with these situations.

If your group is new, they may still be realizing and working through the problems, but as a volunteer, you should go to the group leaders or founders for help.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Welcome to the forums. Everyone can change, I am a testament to that. Many times they just need the right guidance and to learn to see the positives in life and not dwell on the negatives. This can be taught/learned.

New Threads

Top Bottom