• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Deaf GrabFood Rider in Thailand

Nicholas Wedemeyer

Hi Everyone,

Today, I having Chocolate Cream Frappuccino from Starbucks via GrabFood in Thailand! And surprisingly there is a GrabFood rider in Thailand who has Special Needs like deaf people! I was so shocked! Have you ever use Food Delivery in your country?

Attachments

• 20221207_100053.jpg
    20221207_100053.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20221207_095703_Grab.jpg
    Screenshot_20221207_095703_Grab.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 31
I used to use food delivery, but that was during a dark period for me. Being a drunk, living off takeout food. Hardly ever wanting to leave the house. I lived in a not very nice place, in a rather nasty town and in a bad relationship for a long time.

Food delivery does feel quite wasteful though. But it's so convenient I understand why people do it.

Doesn't seem sustainable though. It feels like the last days of Rome. In Cambridge where I work, they're testing automated robots for food deliveries. It's just getting beyond a joke at this point.

Ed

In Japan, there's a cafe with a waiter robot controlled by a quadriplegic person controling the robot remotely. She controls it using her mouth and a joystick, and can see through its camera eyes. I saw this in a documentary.

Last edited:
In Japan, there's a cafe with a waiter robot controlled by a quadriplegic person controling the robot remotely. She controls them using her mouth and a joystick, and can see through its camera eyes. I saw this in a documentary.
^ I love the story of this place. So awesome.

Also, being a delivery driver of food can be suitable profession for someone who is autistic. It seems to fit with some of our proclivities.

I read about this interesting place once that employs various types of people with mental health issues of one sort or another…

In this cafe, workers with mental health issues also use fuzzy bear paws as a barrier from any physical interaction when serving .
By Hanako Montgomery

1631256307928-studioproject.jpeg

Through a hole in a wall, no bigger than an airplane window, customers are handed their drinks and decorative parfaits. Replacing the usual hum of scurrying servers is a single fuzzy, bear paw - like Winnie-the-Pooh’s, but hairier. Unlike traditional cafes, the absence of seating and a grey, cave-like outer perimeter are its atmospheric traits.

But Osaka’s Kuma No Te, or Bear Paw, Cafe is not to be mistaken as unwelcoming.

The cafe, which opens to the general public on Saturday, was conceived with the goal of providing employment to those with mental health issues, many of whom struggle to work in settings that require face-to-face contact. The bear paw, which serves as both a physical barrier and a tactile sense of comfort for customers receiving their drinks, is meant to emulate security.

Here’s the full link:

I often order groceries through Instacart, and I have a membership that pays for itself since I use it a couple of times a week. The joys of not having a car or driver’s license, but I do plan on changing that.

Not food delivery, but when I ride on the White Pine Bike Trail, I always stop for lunch at the After 26 Cafe in Cadillac. The name comes from the age when many people are ageing out of the special needs system and the cafe is staffed with them.

I live so far out in the rural countryside that there is no food delivery here. I can't even get a pizza delivered. I just make my own food because it's a 20-mile drive to the nearest pizza place.

I used to live in a remote area where if you didn't cook yourself then you didn't eat, but now I live in a city I get almost everything I want delivered.

Hi Everyone,

Today, I having Chocolate Cream Frappuccino from Starbucks via GrabFood in Thailand! And surprisingly there is a GrabFood rider in Thailand who has Special Needs like deaf people! I was so shocked! Have you ever use Food Delivery in your country?
I am a doordash delivery driver. But I deliver food in my electric wheelchair, even on very cold and rainy nights. It's exciting, kind of scary, but mostly I enjoy the adventure of retrieving the food, and then finding the person's house or hotel room, and meeting the new person. Some people ask to take my photo, and one lady wanted to do a news report, but I'm much to shy for all that!

I can't really eat takeout due to health problems, but instacart is pretty awesome for groceries 90% of the time. 10% of the time (around where I live), they'll just lose your order and make you leave empty-handed. That's a lot of fun when it takes 30 minutes to drive to the store!

There are some really awesome stories here!!

I do grocery pickups most of the time because actually going into a grocery store gives me horrible anxiety. Sometimes I have to though, unfortunately. People are so rude and aggressive in grocery stores here…

I put in an order on my phone and they bring it out to my car. The most I have to interact with them is saying “Thank you, have a good day” although I always give them a $5 tip because I know they probably don’t get them a lot.

I was once in a bank doing business. When I got to the bank clark, instead of speaking, he passed me a pen and paper. So I wrote what I wanted.

I do grocery pickups most of the time...
Grocery deliveries here only cost $2 if you're going to be home all day, I can't go to the shops and back myself for cheaper than that unless I walk. Great service, a refridgerated truck rolls up and they bring everything to your door. And they sell beer!

We don't tip in Australia and discourage tourists from doing so. We don't want to create a situation where service people are getting taxed on money they "might" get.

Grocery deliveries here only cost $2 if you're going to be home all day, I can't go to the shops and back myself for cheaper than that unless I walk. Great service, a refridgerated truck rolls up and they bring everything to your door. And they sell beer!

We don't tip in Australia and discourage tourists from doing so. We don't want to create a situation where service people are getting taxed on money they "might" get.
Would they really tax them on that?? Jeez…
I just give them some extra cash to take home.

I think it’s different here in restaurants because they expect people to tip the servers. But still unfair if they’re counting that since the companies don’t pay them enough to begin with.

Would they really tax them on that?? Jeez…
I just give them some extra cash to take home.
In the US their declared income is upped by 15% because that's what they're "expected" to earn in tips. Regardless of wether or not they received such tips. Or that's the way it used to be anyway.

So in the US not tipping actually hurts the worker. In a lot of places here they have a Tips jar on the counter for people to put money in, that will go towards their staff Christmas party at the end of the year, but we don't tip individuals.

We don't want to create a situation where service people are getting taxed on money they "might" get.
This sounds like the taxation system where I live. They assume that if own a business and aren't declaring much money, then it must be because you have income you aren't declaring - not because your business isn't doing well and you're struggling to survive. If they audit you, they will probably find a problem with your books and fine you. But if you pay them a sum of money, they won't check or won't find any problem. If you have a car with a big engine, or a boat or swimming pool, they assume that you must have a certain income and tax you on that income, no matter what you declare on paper, They never consider that you might have saved up really hard to buy that swimming pool or car, it *must* be able to afford it because you have undeclared income. The assumption of the black market is always there.

New Threads

Top Bottom