• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dead or fading fashion brands

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, which fashion brands do you consider to be dead or fading?

I think Nautica is a prime example. The brand was in its prime in the 1990s, but ever since David Chu sold the brand to VF, VF completely mismanaged the brand, leading to the brand fading into irrelevance. This year VF sold the brand to Authentic Brands Group, a company known to buy dead or fading brands.

Yikes. Don't know because I truly never understood fashion or pop culture. My friend had a good laugh when I asked who "McHammer" was. I did pick up enough pop culture to get by. I do get "doh" and stuff now, but it took a while and a lot of experiences!

Yikes. Don't know because I truly never understood fashion or pop culture. My friend had a good laugh when I asked who "McHammer" was. I did pick up enough pop culture to get by. I do get "doh" and stuff now, but it took a while and a lot of experiences!

Aye, same here. Most clothes just all look the same to me. Which then makes it extremely baffling that some place such as a mall will then have like 30 stores dedicated to clothing. And I find the idea of "fashion" even more baffling because even with all of that everyone ends up looking mostly the same.

Heck, I dont even buy clothing. I just get it for Christmas or something and just sort of roll with it. T-shirts and sweatpants pretty much all the time, chosen randomly from whatever I have.

I've noticed that Costco sells clothing from old once popular brands. I bought a pair of "Hang Ten" shorts there last year, a brand I hadn't seen around since I was a kid.

Here in the UK I consider Salt Rock, a surfer brand that started in Cornwall and Devon to be fading a bit. Their gear is really cheap in comparison to other brands out there and there's constantly a sale. I don't like to see born and bred brands like Salt Rock to die out in favour for the foreign stuff from mainland Europe or the Americas.

I was never into brand names and have never dressed according to current trends - I'm still stuck in the hippie days with bell bottoms. But mostly dress according to comfort and my own personal taste. I've always gotten laughed at for not knowing the current trends and designers too. In school my kids were into brand names, which I never understood but let them do their own thing, but when they started working and buying their own clothes, I noticed they became a big fan of Goodwill. Funny how that changes when you're paying for your own clothes. lol Does Jordache still make jeans?

My friend had a good laugh when I asked who "McHammer" was.

I asked my sister who MC Hammer was. Her answer was:

"You know about E=mc^2, right? Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared? That means momentum is on the order of MC. C is about 300 million meters per second, so that's a lot of momentum. MC is like being hit with a hammer!"

There's some chance that's not actually what MC Hammer is ;)

[also, this was in 1989 or 1990]

Aye, same here. Most clothes just all look the same to me. Which then makes it extremely baffling that some place such as a mall will then have like 30 stores dedicated to clothing. And I find the idea of "fashion" even more baffling because even with all of that everyone ends up looking mostly the same.

I wear clothes that all look the same no matter what brand they are. Currently, I'm wearing a light blue short-sleeve button-down shirt, dark t-shirt, khaki shorts, running shoes. That's more or less been my uniform for the warmer months for the past 20 years or so. In the cooler months, it's more like jeans, boots, sweater, and a t-shirt and/or long-sleeve button-down shirt.

I've also noticed this thing from my (seemingly NT) co-workers. Many of them seem to wear the same styles of clothes to work every day, with some variation between summer and winter. I guess, eventually you figure out what works for you, and it saves a lot of time in the morning when choosing what to wear.

I went clothes shopping the other day. I was looking to replace a silk shirt that I've had for way longer than one can probably safely wear a silk shirt. So, I asked them if they had any silk shirts. The salesperson said, "no, we don't have any... wait, is that a men's silk shirt or a women's silk shirt?" I eventually got my silk shirt, just not from that wiseass.

"You know about E=mc^2, right? Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared? That means momentum is on the order of MC. C is about 300 million meters per second, so that's a lot of momentum. MC is like being hit with a hammer!"

[also, this was in 1989 or 1990]

I wear clothes that all look the same no matter what brand they are. Currently, I'm wearing a light blue short-sleeve button-down shirt, dark t-shirt, khaki shorts, running shoes. That's more or less been my uniform for the warmer months for the past 20 years or so. In the cooler months, it's more like jeans, boots, sweater, and a t-shirt and/or long-sleeve button-down shirt.

I've also noticed this thing from my (seemingly NT) co-workers. Many of them seem to wear the same styles of clothes to work every day, with some variation between summer and winter. I guess, eventually you figure out what works for you, and it saves a lot of time in the morning when choosing what to wear.

Haha! I loved that. So I am not the only Aspie confused about this "MacHammer" MC Hammer character? Beautiful.

Yes, I also tend to wear the same thing everyday. Running clothes, workout clothes, "social clothes" and bumming at home clothes. Running/workout/bumming can be the same or variations on a theme. Social clothes are the worst. Binding, tight, uncomfortable....that alone makes me wonder what NTs are made of. Who wants a pair of pants to ride down half your back to show off part of your arse?

Women NT clothes are worse than male NT clothes. At least it's sociially acceptable for men to be comfortable! Women have to do odd things to their bodies and faces to get by. Makes me reconsider the burqa. THat is not a joke.

Women NT clothes are worse than male NT clothes. At least it's sociially acceptable for men to be comfortable! Women have to do odd things to their bodies and faces to get by. Makes me reconsider the burqa. THat is not a joke.

Yep. Men don't have to wear tight clothes usually, nor do we typically wear makeup... I assume. Maybe some of the younger generations do, but I don't.

I don't do any odd things to my body either, even though manscaping is apparently a thing. If I were to start, where would I stop? I already look like I'm wearing a hair sweater, so I would have to shave everything, including hands and feet, to avoid looking like I just have a really odd bald patch. I don't really do odd things to my face, except shave my neck and the tops of my cheeks, and trim my beard every couple of weeks.

MC is also an acronym for "Master of Ceremonies"

There was Tommy Hilfiger, that i dont see any more.

I disagree with Tommy Hilfiger being a dead brand. The brand continues to make a profit for PVH and is actually showing growth. You can still find it at some department stores such as Macy's. Nautica on the other hand was losing money for VF, leading to its sale to ABG.

Fashion? I don't need your stinking fashion! Which is good, because I have the fashion sense of the average garden slug. As far as I am concerned, clothes have 2 purposes: 1) Keep you warm when its cold, 2) Keep you from getting arrested when its hot. Although some of the clothes I see lately are pretty iffy for #2.
As far as MC Hammer is concerned, as I recall, he was a singer who never actually sang anything and was famous for wearing parachutes on his pants. He apparently died a while back, because he hasn't been seen or heard from for at least 15 years.

MC is also an acronym for "Master of Ceremonies"

Thank you Captain Obvious ;)

Technically it's an initialization. In an initialization, you say each letter of the abbreviation. So, Master of Ceremonies = MC = emcee. If it were an acronym, we'd be calling him McHammer, which I actually like even better :cool:

Like discussing socks, as I look for appropriate ones wherever I go. These hiking socks last a long time but they are used usually when I hike or bike, made by a company called Lorpen in Spain. Wear them when I know I'll walk a long distance or when biking. These are 40% polyester, 35% lyocell, 15% nylon and 10% lycra, normally something I wouldn't buy, but my feet get hot when doing sports so these particular ones wick moisture away from the feet. Prefer 100% cotton most of the time, or wool socks in the winter.

Also go through socks like crazy. What sort of socks do you like?

I prefer 100% cotton socks, either thick white for regular wear or thin black for any occasion that I have to dress up for. Nothing fancy. The problem is, socks my size aren't normally available in stores, so I have to special order them.

planet-vampire.jpg

I don't like seeing businesses fail. I always feel sorry for the workers. So basically I'm waiting for the future. In the future we will all wear jumpsuits and they will all be the same and never change.

New Threads

Top Bottom