• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Days off/weekends = Recovery Days

mw2530

Does anyone else feel like their days off of work or the weekend are simply recovery days from trying to operate in the NT world. It seems that ever since I started working after college, I have not really enjoyed my weekends or days off. That most of my free time has been spent trying to recover from living in a world that is not set up for the way I experience the world. It is really sad to recognize that this is an accurate perception of the days I don't work. That I'm not so much looking forward to weekends or am happy for them to arrive. It is more that I am relieved that I can let my guard down and spend some time on my own.

Yes, I feel that way quite frequently — especially after a stressful week like this one has been (thank you, MLK, for the three-day weekend!). I will often sleep for 11-12 hours on Fri. and Sat. night just to recharge. Lately, I'm learning that having a very healthy diet gives me an energy boost — enough to have some left for the weekends.

Yeah, I feel that way also. The weekend just means a whole lot of sleeping; I don't do anything fun, I just recover to do it all over again starting Monday. I couldn't do something fun if I wanted to, I'm just too wiped out. It all seems pretty pointless and circular, but I guess a full belly and a warm bed to sleep and recover in are my rewards.

Does anyone else feel like their days off of work or the weekend are simply recovery days from trying to operate in the NT world. It seems that ever since I started working after college, I have not really enjoyed my weekends or days off. That most of my free time has been spent trying to recover from living in a world that is not set up for the way I experience the world. It is really sad to recognize that this is an accurate perception of the days I don't work. That I'm not so much looking forward to weekends or am happy for them to arrive. It is more that I am relieved that I can let my guard down and spend some time on my own.
A miliion times, YES. Which makes it very difficult for me to do other "recreational" or church activities, or even catch up on work-related goals, during my off time. I need it to recover. The weekend isn't even long enough for this purpose. I actually chose my present job because of the amount of time off built into it, and the fact that I can take time off any day I want as long as I have the leave built up, of course.

I can relate. Of course, everyone looks forward to the weekends, but I think for us it takes on even more of an "anticipated recovery time" aspect.

Some NT's do much the same thing, many of my co-workers don't do much with their weekends, apparently people will binge view TV all weekend on their couch, maybe some of you? Speaking for myself I would get bored within a few hours...

Sunday morning most weekends is church service, then I often go to a local flea market, try not to spend too much money, then often go to a local coffee shop with a friend and just chat about life and enjoy a cup of coffee

I am also fortunate to have a hobby I pursue at a semi-pro level, my photography.

Most Saturday's are spent out taking photos, I generally prefer doing it on my own, sometimes I'll do it with a friend... It could be downtown doing some street photography... Occasionally a walk in a park... Last Saturday I went for a drive on the Alberta prairies, 500 km round trip, 12 hours on the road, a few photos along the way, that relaxes me yet also makes me think at the time... This is something I do a few times a year...

I also enjoy going to local events to photograph and just hang out, in a few weeks there will be a skijordue event here on a Saturday, you may have heard of horses pulling people on skis over snow, I went last year and it was lots of fun! I plan to go again...

On a different February weekend, there will be a Sir John A MacDonald Great Canadian Kilt Skate (these happen all across Canada), as it sounds, people ice skating while wearing kilts...

In the past I've gone to an ice carving weekend held every January at Lake Louise, it's always fun whether taking photos or not... I'm not going this year

I also enjoy arts events, performing arts, visual arts, tomorrow night going to a flamenco concert that should be good, local performers at a club, I'll just watch with my girlfriend... Next weekend what's called a Flamenco Jam, a more casual flamenco performance, I plan to photograph that one...

In the summer there are lots of events of all sorts, I also enjoy classic car shows...

At the end of a long work week (I work in a shop on my feet all day) I can feel quite tired, but my passion for photography gets me out, even on those tired days, I almost think I don't relax enough... My vacations recently are driving trips to rural Alberta or Saskatchewan in pursuit of photography, one trip - on my own - a couple of years ago was six days out, covering 2,500 kilometres of driving, and well over 2,000 photos, that almost sounds like a working vacation, but I love it!

Admittedly, prior to my discovery of photography I didn't do much on weekends, it really changed my life for me and how I spend my time

Some NT's do much the same thing, many of my co-workers don't do much with their weekends, apparently people will binge view TV all weekend on their couch, maybe some of you? Speaking for myself I would get bored within a few hours...

Sunday morning most weekends is church service, then I often go to a local flea market, try not to spend too much money, then often go to a local coffee shop with a friend and just chat about life and enjoy a cup of coffee

I am also fortunate to have a hobby I pursue at a semi-pro level, my photography.

Most Saturday's are spent out taking photos, I generally prefer doing it on my own, sometimes I'll do it with a friend... It could be downtown doing some street photography... Occasionally a walk in a park... Last Saturday I went for a drive on the Alberta prairies, 500 km round trip, 12 hours on the road, a few photos along the way, that relaxes me yet also makes me think at the time... This is something I do a few times a year...

I also enjoy going to local events to photograph and just hang out, in a few weeks there will be a skijordue event here on a Saturday, you may have heard of horses pulling people on skis over snow, I went last year and it was lots of fun! I plan to go again...

On a different February weekend, there will be a Sir John A MacDonald Great Canadian Kilt Skate (these happen all across Canada), as it sounds, people ice skating while wearing kilts...

In the past I've gone to an ice carving weekend held every January at Lake Louise, it's always fun whether taking photos or not... I'm not going this year

I also enjoy arts events, performing arts, visual arts, tomorrow night going to a flamenco concert that should be good, local performers at a club, I'll just watch with my girlfriend... Next weekend what's called a Flamenco Jam, a more casual flamenco performance, I plan to photograph that one...

In the summer there are lots of events of all sorts, I also enjoy classic car shows...

At the end of a long work week (I work in a shop on my feet all day) I can feel quite tired, but my passion for photography gets me out, even on those tired days, I almost think I don't relax enough... My vacations recently are driving trips to rural Alberta or Saskatchewan in pursuit of photography, one trip - on my own - a couple of years ago was six days out, covering 2,500 kilometres of driving, and well over 2,000 photos, that almost sounds like a working vacation, but I love it!

Admittedly, prior to my discovery of photography I didn't do much on weekends, it really changed my life for me and how I spend my time
I don't think the depletion and recovery time I need has anything to do with lacking passion for hobbies. I have passion for a lot of things, but I have reached a point where my weekends are mainly for recovery after over-exertion. If I have more days off, then I regain more energy to devote to hobbies and goals.

I don't think the depletion and recovery time I need has anything to do with lacking passion for hobbies. I have passion for a lot of things, but I have reached a point where my weekends are mainly for recovery after over-exertion. If I have more days off, then I regain more energy to devote to hobbies and goals.

I'm not even sure how I manage it sometimes, I am not a "high energy" person as such, I'm not all that hyper... But I have always found that I tend to get cabin fever if I stay in too much... When I go out, especially with my camera to take photos, I am essentially an observer of the world around me, I'm almost on the hunt with my camera, at least that's the way I look at it...

Many of my friends are amazed at how much I do, I just have lots of stamina...

New Threads

Top Bottom