1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dating apps

Discussion in 'Love, Relationships and Dating' started by Rocco, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Rocco

Rocco Wandering Trainwreck V.I.P Member

I am single again after over 15 years and decided to try my luck with a dating app.
    It was quite a culture shock to see profiles, qualification lists, and learn to navigate the electronic roulette that is a dating app.

I am getting to know my self again after such a long marriage, and trying to figure out what I want. I have minimal interest in casual sex anymore and don’t know if I want another dedicated long term relationship or if I want to just stay single.

Today ends my second week of swiping left or right and I find myself dating and talking to several new women which has been a fabulous morale boost. But I also am trying to figure out how to make a schedule work to allow for personal down time, work, and dating. Also trying to figure out what qualities and characteristics I am most attracted to.

What are your experiences with dating apps and opinions? Any advice or code word glossary or...?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Schism

Schism Well-Known Member

Yes. The filling-in of details is intense. I finally managed it after realising I had left so many areas blank. Not intuitive I feel.

Then I swiped 'Nope' through the entire UK.
    Got repeated messages "There is no-one you match with right now, try again later" :confused:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I haven't had much luck with dating apps. In my experience, most people didn't have much info on their profiles and for me, I want to know more about someone than just what they look like. Overall I'm not a fan of online dating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Yeshuasdaughter

Yeshuasdaughter Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

No dating app!!!! Those are just for Hos and Ho Connoisseurs.

5. Fact Ten

Fact Ten Member

I think that's an unfair generalization. There may be dating apps that have more of a bent towards hookup culture and there may be a significant bloc of users who gravitate towards that culture but it's no different than real life. There's people that just want something for the night, people that want something for a few months, and people who want something that lasts years if not a lifetime.

On a lighter note, you missed out on an opportunity for the classic gardening pun.
    I had a good laugh from this as it happens to me a lot. I swipe left on almost everybody and then have to wait a few hours. I've been trying to limit it to people in cities that I can get to with public transit and state an openness to dating people who are only in school (as a lot of folks who are interested in relationships understandably want people who are working full time).

@Rocco How do you feel about Bumble now that it's been a week since this post?

6. Mindf'Elle'ness

Mindf'Elle'ness Peace and passion for ALL

Hi. I've tried 3 different dating apps. I know several people including my manager who has found a husband through these apps...so they DO work.
    I'm not having a lot of luck. It seems that most guys on these sites don't have much to offer. Sketchy employment, just sit around their apartment bored, no hobbies, etc. Most guys also just message 4EVER without having the guts to ask me out for a simple coffee.
    I'm whigged out over a guy that I've been seeing for a few weeks (whigged=has made me manic LOL) because there are constant misunderstandings which I don't know if are my 'aspie' fault or a general incompatibility.
    I take a break from the sites for weeks at a time to regain my balance

7. Alexej

Alexej Well-Known Member

Always good to be in balance - and especially in regard to dating.

Welcome to the Forums -
    BTW - love the play on words in Mindf'Elle'ness

8. Mindf'Elle'ness

Mindf'Elle'ness Peace and passion for ALL

Thanks! A car accident and the healing afterwards had me introduced to meditation, which then lead me to mindfulness and I love the journey. I do the work, but the 'sinking in' is much tougher.