• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Database building questions from a novice

Magna

V.I.P Member
I would like to create a database using free software to track all personal expenditures by category, etc. Pre-covid, I used to collect all receipts from anything purchased by me or my family and I would keep the receipts in manilla envelopes by month. I started creating a spreadsheet to enter every purchase, but stopped collecting receipts at the beginning of Covid.

I would like to create a simple form/database to make the data entry easier and then be able to run queries to track spending in general categories as well as specific types of purchases.

So far I have an idea of having General Categories such as:

• Food
  • Clothing
  • Vehicle
  • Home
  • Garden
  • Health
  • Pet
  • Entertainment
For each general category, I'd have Item Categories such as:

FOOD

• Fruit
  • Vegetable
  • Meat
  • Dairy/Eggs
  • Frozen Foods
  • Candy/Treats
  • Food Preservation & Supplies
I was Windows as an OS. Is there any database building app/software that's free other than Google Sheets/Forms that anyone would recommend?

My data analysis would consist mainly of running queries to determine the amount we spend in a month or year for a specific item such as peanut butter, sales tax, fuel, etc.

I would like to also be able to do simple graphs to visualize spending trends, etc.

I would like to create my own database if possible rather than buying some sort of budgeting software.

I have been doing something similar - but not so detailed.

Beware of the time it takes to input the info in order to do the kind of analysis you are talking about.

If you do online banking, your bank might allow you to save your spending history as a spreadsheet. You can import a spreadsheet into Microsoft access and build views and forms on that spreadsheet. Doing something like this will mean that you don't have to manually enter the data. Good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom