• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cyber bullying on other forums

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I post on gamefaqs.com and singsnap.com, and since last week, I have been receiving nasty Private Messages on singsnap.com from a user claiming to be from the UK board on gamefaqs.com, I have deleted the messages and blocked both the guy's usernames so far, well I haven't deleted his latest messages, I plan to use them as evidence to inform the local Police of this Cyber Bullying.

In fact I'm surprised they haven't followed me to this forum yet, they have before.

Should I involve the local Police though given that Singsnap.com is hosted in Canada? Is there anything else legal in the UK that I can do about this problem?

I have been receiving nasty Private Messages on singsnap.com from a user claiming to be from the UK board on gamefaqs.com, I have deleted the messages and blocked both the guy's usernames so far,

Are these private messages in the form of an email system? What I'm wondering is if they have headers with all the coded information on them.

Topic.

I post on gamefaqs.com and singsnap.com, and since last week, I have been receiving nasty Private Messages on singsnap.com from a user claiming to be from the UK board on gamefaqs.com, I have deleted the messages and blocked both the guy's usernames so far, well I haven't deleted his latest messages, I plan to use them as evidence to inform the local Police of this Cyber Bullying.

In fact I'm surprised they haven't followed me to this forum yet, they have before.

Should I involve the local Police though given that Singsnap.com is hosted in Canada? Is there anything else legal in the UK that I can do about this problem?
Change your email address now the police could take an eternity to stop them law is not fast

Looks like there are some very good and precise resources available when it comes to cyberbullying in both the UK and Canada. I'd start there and reach out to actually ask them for advice in handling such matters legally.

Cyber bullying advice | Bullying UK

Cyberbullying | PREVNet - Canada's authority on bullying

I'm just curious as to whether or not Britain seems as aggressive as Canada when it comes to prosecuting cyberbullying when a perpetrator may originate from another legal jurisdiction.

Cyber-bully faces extradition to Canada in Amanda Todd case - BBC News

Then again in the long run it might be more pragmatic for you to confine the online contact you have with something far less than the rank-and-file of the Internet at large. There's a reason why I avoid such forums. Maybe you should too. After all, "Lord of the Flies" exists all over the Internet and always has.

Even if you could get an individual prosecuted under law, I can guarantee you that there will always be ten other bullies waiting to take their place. The only real "trick" I perceive is to simply avoid those online venues where bullying is so prevalent.

Last edited:
I really don't think this is something the police want you bothering them with. More likely this falls under the responsibility of the sites admin teams to deal with the offender, their should always be a report button on there just as there is on here, use it and they'll take action either with a warning or account closure.

It seems most cyberbully cases victims reported in the news is children. I know there been many organizations formed to offer support for children, but have not heard many cases relating nor support for adults victims. Based on this, I assuming it will be harder for adult victims to get support for these type of issues.

I wonder if it comes under trolling adults get support for that in the UK
Topic.

It seems most cyberbully cases victims reported in the news is children. I know there been many organizations formed to offer support for children, but have not heard many cases relating nor support for adults victims. Based on this, I assuming it will be harder for adult victims to get support for these type of issues.

Good point. In the case of UK adults, I suspect such issues are far more likely to fall into the realm of civil and not criminal law. Unless perhaps bodily injury or suicide/death may be involved. In Britain I don't think cyberbullying is technically a crime per se. Yet in Canada it is a crime, regardless of age. A problem that overlaps both legal jurisdictions is bound to complicate it all in this instance.

United Kingdom:

"Each of the UK's 4 nations has its own anti-bullying legislation. There is no specific law in the UK that makes cyberbullying illegal, but existing legislation to stop harassment or threatening behaviour can be applied to cases of cyberbullying."

Legislation, policy and practice

Canada:

Several other Criminal Code offences also deal with bullying, including cyberbullying. Depending on the exact nature of the behaviour, the following current offences could be charged:
  • Criminal harassment
  • Uttering threats;
  • Intimidation;
  • Mischief in relation to data;
  • Unauthorized use of computer;
  • Identity fraud;
  • Extortion;
  • False messages, indecent or harassing telephone calls;
  • Counselling suicide;
  • Incitement of hatred; and,
  • Defamatory libel

What are the potential legal consequences of cyberbullying?

Last edited:
At some point you have to tell yourself, "I'm a decent human being and these fu**ers are therefore wrong about me and are trying to pin their own crappy traits onto me." I know it's hard, both being human and autistic to do this Rich, because on some level you give these "subbies" too much credence (subbie being sub-human troll). Your autistic mind frame can't help but wonder if on some small level they're right.

I do more reading on here than posting and you seem like a good-hearted chap who simply wants to live a good life without harming others.

I hate to say it but I think the others on here are probably correct, the government ain't gonna do you much good.

You could do that and also search for anti-cyberbully organisations exist in your country for advice.

I went on Google earlier to look this up, and it's all related to kids, stuff like the NSPCC etc.

Also, sorry but in your quoted post, I corrected a typo, there's no Z in the word Organisations, sorry but I'm pedantic like that :D

Also, sorry but in your quoted post, I corrected a typo, there's no Z in the word Organisations, sorry but I'm pedantic like that :D

Britspeak. :rolleyes:

There are any number of English words spelled or even pronounced differently on this side of the pond.

the definition of organization

Yeah, criticizing that sort of thing in much of any international forum will get you into trouble, Rich. Another thing to consider. Try not to be so pedantic. ;)

Being too critical of the "small stuff" just encourages others to attack you for no particular reason at all. With predators eating other predators.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt the police would be able to do anything about this situation. Much as I hate it myself, cyber-harassment doesn't get taken seriously until people take it off the screen and decide to take it a notch further.

Why do you feel you have to mingle with these pricks? You're going to have to distance yourself from the situation and make an escape if it's bothering you that much.

As it happens I just had several PMs from the same user under a new alias on singsnap, he "apologised" for offending me (yeah right, if he was "sorry" he wouldn't do it in the ****ing first place, moron), but he says I troll on Gamefaqs, erm, no I don't, on the contrary it's THEM that troll against ME!

I reported the messages and blocked the offending user, he "says" he's had enough now, but I'm sure he'll be back tomorrow under a new alias to annoy me.

Reporting is a waste of time on the majority of forums though, the Mods tend not to do anything.

Reporting is a waste of time on the majority of forums though, the Mods tend not to do anything.

Pretty much. There are a number of forums which exercise favoritism of one form or another while others simply run their community like the Roman Coliseum. "Those who are about to die, salute you!" Online slaughterhouses. Where attempting to interact in them is tantamount to putting your hand in a blender. A deliberate form of Schadenfreude. Where you the victim is the primary source of entertainment rather than civil discussion.

You're dealing with social dynamics that IMO all too often are inherent with gamers. How do I know that? I once administrated four game forums at the same time. The one severe downside to being a webmaster/designer. Seventeen years ago and nothing has changed in this regard. Too many over-opinionated people in the same place at the same time. TBH, you probably wouldn't do any worse discussing politics.

Just say "no" to them. Stop being a "moth to a flame" and just walk away from those kind of forums. Such mentalities are not likely to accommodate you in whole or in part- ever. Even if you could push the matter on a civil or criminal level. You want to escape "Lord of the Flies" ? Simple answer. Get off the island. ;)

Piggy and Ralph spent so much time trying to reason with their peers. And look what happened to them. A valuable lesson in life, even as a work of fiction.

Lord of the Flies - Wikipedia

Last edited:
One thing I've learned about the internet, especially message boards, is that you can't always "win". Like it or not, but the staff there probably see it as inconsequential and aren't going to give special treatment to you or anyone else. Trying to build a case for it is only going to worsen the problem and possibly direct even more negative attention towards you. Do you really need all that stress over a website?

Not that you should be aiming to "win" every time, but...rules are rules, group think, favoritism, etc....been there, did that, and "lost". Sometimes, you just have to let it go and find another chunk of the web to settle in. You can do better than to stoop down to their level, don't you think?

Last edited:
If you think its hard i learned to spell the British English way then americanisms came and i think the anxiety instructed me that what i was hearing and reading was wrong but its very close to English and some people spell like that so its alright but now IM not certain which one to write and nobody can teach me IVE tried
Britspeak. :rolleyes:

There are any number of English words spelled or even pronounced differently on this side of the pond.

the definition of organization

Yeah, criticizing that sort of thing in much of any international forum will get you into trouble, Rich. Another thing to consider. Try not to be so pedantic. ;)

Being too critical of the "small stuff" just encourages others to attack you for no particular reason at all. With predators eating other predators.

If you think its hard i learned to spell the British English way then americanisms came and i think the anxiety instructed me that what i was hearing and reading was wrong but its very close to English and some people spell like that so its alright but now IM not certain which one to write and nobody can teach me IVE tried

Perhaps the most important thing that can be stressed is that in everyday life outside a classroom it really doesn't matter. ;) Ironic too that English itself is a hodgepodge of other languages.

Last edited:
As it happens I just had several PMs from the same user under a new alias on singsnap, he "apologised" for offending me (yeah right, if he was "sorry" he wouldn't do it in the ****ing first place, moron), but he says I troll on Gamefaqs, erm, no I don't, on the contrary it's THEM that troll against ME!

I reported the messages and blocked the offending user, he "says" he's had enough now, but I'm sure he'll be back tomorrow under a new alias to annoy me.

One thing I could say here, and I say this often, is... just ignore bullies and jerks. They want a response, you know? When they get one, THEY win. And it usually allows them to continue. Dont let them win. Whether on the Internet, or IRL. And this being the internet, we all know that there's LOTS of actual trolls on it, yeah? We've all seen it. We've all been there and watched unpleasantness happen.

HOWEVER. A very, very important thing to consider... is your own behavior. If people are accusing you of trolling, perhaps they could be being jerks... but perhaps not. Maybe you really DID say some stuff that offended someone, even though you didnt mean to. This happens alot, actually... you'd be surprised at how often people cause problems, yet dont spot whatsoever that they are PART of that cause. I used to have this issue myself. I have a very volatile and dark personality, as I put it (thus my name, "Misery") and years ago, on forums, I used to let it get out of control. Not on purpose. Never on purpose. But it caused some of the problems that I experienced, without me really realizing it. Once I DID realize it though, I experienced a good deal less unpleasantness in all the forums I went to. Heck, I ended up actually becoming friends with one of the people that I used to argue with, once the both of us realized that hey, maybe we WERENT acting so good. Maybe both of us were the problem, instead of it always just being the other guy. We got to talking, and I still know that guy today. However, that's a friend I wouldnt now have, if I hadnt analyzed my own behavior.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I'm not on those forums you mention, I didnt see the situation, so I have no clue who is to blame for what. Considering you're talking about a gaming forum, well... yeah, there's buckets of trolls in those places, the gaming community is not nice. However, I bring this up because it's something I learned the hard way (years ago), and it's very relevant to this type of issue, and I thought of it immediately when I saw your topic here. It's something I think *everyone* should be considering, when in situations like this, so I figured I'd talk about it a bit. And if it turns out that you DID in fact say something to cause part of the problem... this may be one reason why moderators do not act on the report. Heck, I have, multiple times, been reported on a couple of forums (particularly Wrongplanet, as things tend to "explode" easily there, for... whatever reason), simply for trying to calm things down, or from simply having a different opinion from someone else. Despite me always being polite and friendly towards them. In those situations, the person reporting often then thinks "the mods dont care". However, for a couple of those situations, I asked the mods involved, and they specifically pointed out to me "No, we dont have a problem with you, we see you alot on here, and you're always friendly. We're aware of the situation, but you arent part of the problem, dont worry about it". They dont act because no rules were broken. I moderate on a forum myself, and this situation comes up sometimes, and when it does, I analyze the topic, and if it turns out that A: no rules were broken, and B: the person actually WASNT being mean or whatever.... I do not take action against them. I may step into the topic simply to try to calm it down, but I dont direct any punishment at anyone unless they TRULY broke rules, or were bashing someone else. Good moderators dont take action unless someone truly did something wrong, and they analyze before making a decision.

But also remember: on really BIG forums, moderation is nigh-impossible to do. Just trust me on that one. Moderators on huge forums get SWAMPED. It's not a pleasant situation, and there's little they can do about it. Never, ever expect moderators to be very effective on huge forums. Because they usually cant be, and it's not their fault.

New Threads

Top Bottom