• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DissolvedGirl

Hello again! I was wondering if cuticle picking could be classified as stimming. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, especially when I'm stressed. Either way, I always need to do something with my hands. This is unfortunately kinda destructive, but it's gotten better over the years. Yet I still find myself doing it over and over again, especially in social situations or when I'm stressed.
Could this be classified as stimming?

I have always picked at the skin on my right thumb - that's definitely a stim, and I tend to do this particularly when stressed. I don't think I can remember a time when the skin on my thumb was unbroken. When I have consciously tried to stop myself doing this, I have just ended up more stressed due to the lack of stimming.

I have always picked at the skin on my right thumb - that's definitely a stim, and I tend to do this particularly when stressed. I don't think I can remember a time when the skin on my thumb was unbroken. When I have consciously tried to stop myself doing this, I have just ended up more stressed due to the lack of stimming.
Thank you! I've only very recently connected the dots that I might be Aspie. I was diagnosed with various other things, including BPD. I can totally relate to you, I end up more anxious and there's always been a lot of inner and outer pressure to stop doing this.
I guess now I'll just own it and try not to stick my nails in too deep :))

It wouldn't be a good thing to stop a successful form of stimming - and it would be a successful stim if you've been doing it so long!

New Threads

Top Bottom