• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Currently having fixation/obsession problems with a certain character from a N64 videogame.

RaposaWorker

there goes another post.
today i want to explain my problems in full detail. so i could hopefully get some help with it.
so...videogames..theres one for everyone right?
yep..and still some of them arent that well known by people on the net.
such as say...astra superstars,and the game we are going to talk about is rakugakids,a pretty unique fighter for the n64. definitely a must play....leaving that aside..i got obsessed with one character from that game..her name is marsa..i dont know how..but something about her speaks to me..i definitely have a crush on her for sure..heccy,she is even my pfp in this forum.
but anyways...the obsession got so far that it literally changed the way i act..i literally cant control myself..meanwhile im looking at other stuff...she's still there..i cant get her out of my head. the lack of fanart that she has makes me mad....yeah.

anyways..would someone help me?

Honestly, this is often how it goes for those of us on the spectrum. We get obsessed. REALLY obsessed. I dont mean just about characters.... it could be anything. Could be, I dunno, park benches or vacuum cleaners or something. Whatever the interest is, once we latch on, we REALLY stick to it.

I speak as someone who also tends to get obsessive over characters. But I've gone way, way further than what you describe. I got into conventions and cosplay, changed up my appearance a bit, did all sorts of other things... over a bloody decade later and the effects are still there, the whole thing rather sent shockwaves through my whole world. Even the idea of doing my own travelling... instead of only going places with family... came purely as a result of that one obsession. Which was, as you said, with a fictional character. Among all sorts of other things that happened.

And, in all honesty... I've never really seen an issue with any of it. I am the way I am, it's just that simple. And as I said, it just goes with the territory. If that obsession hadnt been there, it would have simply been something else.

Being on the spectrum means you're likely always going to be obsessive to some degree. It's just part of the whole thing, really. The important thing though isnt the idea of trying to stop the obsession from being there... instead, it's more about making sure it's not damaging anything. Like, if you're putting it ahead of other very important things.... like, I dunno, taking care for a disabled relative or something.... THAT is when it's a problem, because it's actively hurting someone/something. Other than that though.... yeah, it just goes with the territory. If you spend too much time trying to fight it, then that fight will BE the obsession. Which seems redundant and rather nonsensical to me.

righty...
still..i do have some obsessions from the past,but they are long gone seing as how i got obsessed with marsa...those following are:
katsuragi,minori and hibari from the senran kagura series.
blipbug and alcremie from pokemon sword and shield.
Kaolla su from love hina.
Rurumo from magimoji rurumo.
And....the one that still is below about marsa but i still care a bit for...Maron and rouge from astra superstars,another game i mentioned in the first post.

I find this all fascinating. Because the obsession in my case can bounce around a bit. At first l wrote it off as just OCD- but obsession can take it's path as a distraction, as a stim? To deal with life which can seem boring at times? In Misery's case, it led them to leave and get out and do things, basically expand their world. If you love or crush on a character, it opens up something inside of you, maybe a feeling or hope that you never felt before. Maybe these are doorways into our complicated brain paths and help us feel and maybe even connect paths of feelings that we seem to be missing.

Last edited:
Yes I have had husbandos and waifus in the past.
Honestly, this is often how it goes for those of us on the spectrum. We get obsessed. REALLY obsessed. I dont mean just about characters.... it could be anything. Could be, I dunno, park benches or vacuum cleaners or something. Whatever the interest is, once we latch on, we REALLY stick to it.

I speak as someone who also tends to get obsessive over characters. But I've gone way, way further than what you describe. I got into conventions and cosplay, changed up my appearance a bit, did all sorts of other things... over a bloody decade later and the effects are still there, the whole thing rather sent shockwaves through my whole world. Even the idea of doing my own travelling... instead of only going places with family... came purely as a result of that one obsession. Which was, as you said, with a fictional character. Among all sorts of other things that happened.

And, in all honesty... I've never really seen an issue with any of it. I am the way I am, it's just that simple. And as I said, it just goes with the territory. If that obsession hadnt been there, it would have simply been something else.

Being on the spectrum means you're likely always going to be obsessive to some degree. It's just part of the whole thing, really. The important thing though isnt the idea of trying to stop the obsession from being there... instead, it's more about making sure it's not damaging anything. Like, if you're putting it ahead of other very important things.... like, I dunno, taking care for a disabled relative or something.... THAT is when it's a problem, because it's actively hurting someone/something. Other than that though.... yeah, it just goes with the territory. If you spend too much time trying to fight it, then that fight will BE the obsession. Which seems redundant and rather nonsensical to me.
Which fictional characters were you obsessed with?

Yes I have had husbandos and waifus in the past.

Which fictional characters were you obsessed with?

Ehhhh.... I'd rather not go into that at the moment. Well, not the original one anyway, the one that caused all those things.

Some of the lesser ones:

Noel Vermillion (from Blazblue, I did a cosplay of this one)

Lilith (Binding of Isaac)

Scrap Baby (FNAF)

Chara (Undertale)

Yeah, I'm into the indie gaming scene. Pretty much my whole thing when it comes to my gaming hobby in general. Though most of what I play is not very well known.

There are other characters, including some from anime/manga, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind. I'm not always too clear on WHY I'll latch onto any given character.

And there are other times where I'll just get really into the entire cast of characters for a given series instead of latching onto one specific one. The Mario series is a good example, I've been a big fan of that since I was a kid. Bowser remains my favorite villain of all time.

New Threads

Top Bottom