1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Creepy houses

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Suzette, Jan 13, 2022.

1. watersprite

watersprite inadvertent vagabond V.I.P Member

My house was built in 1916. My previous house was new - no one else had ever lived there. The contrast was brutal. If you have the $, go for the new, in my opinion. You can add new “eye candy” - either build or have a cabinet-maker design and build custom features to your specifications.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of the Jigglypuff Army V.I.P Member

I know all of that which is why I said I only thought about it. The thing is the city really doesn’t like the house being abandoned and posing a major safety hazard to the public and even the police chief looked into what could be done with it because even he agrees that it needs to be torn down at this point. He doesn’t disagree with me that the idea of burning it and make it look accidental is necessarily a bad idea given it’s come to the point that something has to be done with how bad the situation is now but also that someone could be squatting inside and I don’t know it. There’s a huge hole in the front porch roof, the back entrance porch roof caved in with the support beams fallen down and leaning on the door. I don’t think any cats are inside as none of us seen a bunch of feral cats in the area but we all agree that a ton of rats and mice must be inside and if the place burned down, they’d all be killed and prevent any diseases from being spread. It’s a really complicated situation that seems to have no actual resolution to it. I’m actually hoping that lightning will eventually strike the place and set it on fire but nothing yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Suzette

Suzette Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

That would drive me nuts! I swear, houses do better with people living in them, even if the house is still neglected. It's like the whole thing just holds together better with life to shelter and dpression sets in when it becomes "a useless property".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Captain Jigglypuff

Imagine how we must feel having to look at the place being empty since 2015 and starting to literally fall apart since 2017 when the giant porch swing broke off the roof and left a hole and the weeds constantly growing out about 18 inches from the side that is actually in the street. The city keeps cutting the weeds to prevent issues driving near the house but they keep growing back even worse.

5. watersprite

There was a place like that nearby until a couple of months ago. A big backhoe knocked it down and then other equipment came & cleaned up the rubbish. It was strange, to hear the creaking & groaning and crunching as house met machinery.
    Now it is a clean empty lot. They saved the huge trees, so it looks nice.
    Is there a ghost of a house there, & will it haunt the new house that’s being built?
    :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Captain Jigglypuff

The main issue is that only the federal government can do something about this house and they refuse to do anything. Petitioning wouldn’t work. Complaining has led to nothing. No one can even legally buy the place to tear it down because of the lien. We all would rather see it turned into a parking lot than stay put.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. watersprite

@Suzette It keeps coming into my head that when you are older you might prefer being warm & near the ocean, instead of Kansas or Oklahama?
    My old house is one of those built from a kit, but it is in a bustling little town with all sorts of stuff happening & people coming and going.
    I would turn into a zombie or ghost in this house if it were out somewhere like you described.

8. Forest Cat

Forest Cat Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I would say you are right. Winter never bothered me before but now I`m a little older and I want to find a warm and cozy place. I want a break from the cold. I saw something from Florida on tv the other day, they said the january temperatures ranges from 50°F in the north to 70°F in the south. That`s t-shirt and barbeque weather in january. So a part of me wants to move to Florida.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. watersprite

@Forest Cat Makes sense. But Florida might be a tiny bit too crowded with humans? Maybe we could form a business in which ASD property owners (of houses &/or land) could trade places for a week or more.

10. Flown

Flown Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This is a strange topic for me to discuss. I like to think I am a very rational/logical person, but I have had experiences throughout my lifetime which I cannot scientifically explain.

I had nightmares/"visions" on the regular when living in one particular house (in the southeastern US) when I was a toddler. There was always a menacing red "male" figure hovering over my bed at night. There was also another figure hiding behind the bathroom door (I'm not sure if it meant to harm me, but it was still frightening), and I would have to bolt past it (in the hallway) to go jump in my mother's bed every night. My mother thought I was just going through a "phase" of some sort, but I found out (in a conversation with my grandmother) 20 years later that there actually had been a murder-suicide in the house before we had lived there. A man had killed his girlfriend/wife and then himself.

The first place my partner and I ever rented also unnerved me. It was a broken down trailer near a graveyard. There were holes in the floor, rodent and roach infestations, etc, but it was all we could afford at the time. I didn't so much have a problem with the entire trailer, but I could not bring myself to go into the master bedroom. There was nothing physically wrong with it, but it felt WRONG (I don't know how else to describe it). We ended up setting up our bed in the smaller bedroom on the opposite side of the trailer as a result. On multiple occasions I heard what sounded like fingernails clawing down the walls. We kept that bedroom door shut at all times.

The one other notable "haunting" I can recall was when my partner and I were moving across country from Massachusetts to Washington state. We stopped in at my partner's uncle's home in Wisconsin. Half of the house was newer, but the part in which we were sleeping was the attic/top floor of a very old (1800s?) farmhouse. I could not rest at all (which is not rare in strange houses/places), but I kept sensing a small girl in the room with us (once again, no idea how to describe the sensation; i know i sound like a delusional person). A couple of years later, we asked my partner's parents about that part of the house (we didn't disclose anything about our experience)--and they admitted that it was "haunted by a little girl".

This all being said...my partner and I are currently looking to buy a home. Viewing the home and getting a "feel" for it is an important step I think :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Forest Cat

I have actually thought about that before :) An AS vacation exhange program for those who need to get away a little, a change of scenery. I was thinking about finding people in Sweden because it`s close and Swedes often like Norway and I like Sweden. Especially the coast, so nice. Denmark is also very nice. Don`t know if it would work though, it was just a thought.

I`m not really familiar with Florida, so there is a lot of people there? I have to google Florida I think. It would be nice with some space.

12. Suzette

With good humour, you must think I am in my dottage and senile! o_O:p
    54 is older than you but far from needing to be kept from errant drafts!

Besides, I own a sailboat that we keep in Mexico and have lived on it for 6 years now. Didn't you know old sailors live forever? In is in the U.S.C.G. rules when you register your boat. "By signing this registration form...blah blah verbage about offering your vessel in the deffense of the U.S. in times of war...blah..blah...thou shalt acknowledge that from this day forward the captain and crew of (boat name) will either live forever, or under the direction of the captain, agree to sail off into the sunset to be consigned to Davey Jones Locker but not before having given 'forever' a reasonable go". :p

There are lots of lovely towns in Kansas and Oklahoma. But even happy little towns have creepy houses that someone is trying to sell. Did I really give the impression that I want to move into a dying village with more mold and ghosts than people? I guess it wasn't my best writing day. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Forest Cat

That`s just outstanding :) Wow! Everyone should have a sailboat in Mexico, it should be a human right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. maycontainthunder

maycontainthunder May also contain missing cookies.

Not so much creepy houses but morbid. I've done a few garage/shed clearances that are deceased estate. It feels really weird going through a dead persons stuff like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Suzette

@Flown
    I've had a few incidents happen like you describe.

The house I lived in with my 1st husband was weird. When we first moved in there would be loud crashing sounds in the kitchen. Like all of the dishes suddenly crashing to the floor, we would run in expecting an intruder and dishes smashed everywhere but all would be neat and tidy!

Sometimes we would hear booted foot steps wandering around the ground floor when we were upstairs. And when we made love, there was always the smell of brewing coffee in the air.

Our bedroom was weird too. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I would wake to feel the blankets being pulled off the bed. At first I just thought they were falling off the bed because we were restless sleepers. But one night I woke up, my husband is asleep beside me and lying still, the blankets were up to my chin. As I lay there quietly the blankets started to slide down as though being pulled from the foot of the bed. I shouted "Oh no you don't" and grabbed the blankets pulled them back up. Ghost? I don't know. But weird! I don't recall that it ever happened again.

I lived in the house for 23 years. Eventually the weird stuff stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  16. watersprite

@Suzette No gosh of course I don’t think you’re decrepit. Sorry it came across like that?!

{watersprite outta here}

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Neonatal RRT

Neonatal RRT Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

For all the money that you will eventually spend on an old house, the plumbing, electrical, insulation, windows and doors, furnace/AC, paint, flooring, roofing, foundation,...and the heating and cooling bills (horribly inefficient),...you may be able to build a brand new one (new materials, efficient, up to new building codes, etc.) in the same style as the old one and save yourself a ton of money on the back end. Old homes are absolute money pits,...not to mention the time and frustration.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  18. Forest Cat

Yeah you need money to take care of an old house. A nice stone house could make it a little easier, I have worked a little with houses and wood is wood. Stone is better.

19. Suzette

@Neonatal RRT & @Forest Cat

Neonatal RRT, with love dear, it has been awhile since you did the house hunt. The price of building materials, lumber in particular doubled since 2020. I believe the price for lumber is starting to come down some but it is still crazy high.

But lets talk about old houses. They actually make far more economic sense than you realize.

First, any home that has been continuously lived in for 100 years or more will have been updated some time in the past. It is very rare to find a home that is so dated it is constantly in danger of imploding. Most have already had the old windows replaced with double paned glass, and have furnaces and hot water heaters less than 10 years old. Not all of course but many!

We are also finding that quite a few homes have already had their major systems overhauled in an effort to sell them. New roofs, furnaces, plumbing and gas lines are the most commonly updated items. Obviously homes like this are favored by us. We aren't too concerned about the electric because my husband is a very compent electrician. Though we have found most older houses have been updated to 220v service anyway.

But this isn't our first time buying a house for either of us. We are well aquainted with house and site evaluation and know how to make friends with a building inspector.

Finally, we are talking small homes here. 1200 to 1500 sq ft. So our costs are not high no matter what.

@Forest Cat, there are stone houses here but they aren't at all common. One is more likely to find brick. But I agree, stone houses are lovely if you can get one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Forest Cat

I should have said stone or brick, I meant something other than wood. More maintenance with wood. And stone houses are cozier. You are right about the prices for materials, last year it went up 40% here for some types of lumber.

• Agree Agree x 1