• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cravings for booze are off the charts tonight.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
So, I guess I will stay at home and not take my wallet to the corner store. I kinda want to throw a tantrum over the fact that having beer is a bad idea for me right now. All of my program friends are busy tonight, so it is just me and the Internet this evening.

Maybe I should watch The Lost Weekend or Leaving Las Vegas to remind me of how I could end up if I give in now.

Or maybe I should watch a comedy and indulge in pure distraction instead.

This is a bit embarrassing for me to admit.

So, I guess I will stay at home and not take my wallet to the corner store. I kinda want to throw a tantrum over the fact that having beer is a bad idea for me right now. All of my program friends are busy tonight, so it is just me and the Internet this evening.

Maybe I should watch The Lost Weekend or Leaving Las Vegas to remind me of how I could end up if I give in now.

If it doesn't suit your life goals, it's not worth the time or risk. I nearly destroyed my family with it. Never again. Stay strong brother. You can do it.

As you know, it's a false promise that alcohol offers. You still lack whatever you lacked when you have a drink to alleviate another issue. May as well have a cup of soup or some fruit, and address the actual issue.

Are you too sedentary btw? I definitely was when I used alcohol to distract myself from my real life. Wish I had been more active and less tired and passive. Get some rest, or some enjoyable exercise, maybe?

There's an app called Stoic that's available for Android and Apple. I've used it for a year or so that's helped tremendously with all manner of behavior or stinking thinking that pops up from time to time.

You write how you're feeling which in and of itself is helpful. But then it asks you Stoic related questions about the feelings and what type of thoughts you think are driving them and then "prescribes" types of focused breathing and meditation to help get through it.

As you know, it's a false promise that alcohol offers. You still lack whatever you lacked when you have a drink to alleviate another issue. May as well have a cup of soup or some fruit, and address the actual issue.

Are you too sedentary btw? I definitely was when I used alcohol to distract myself from my real life. Wish I had been more active and less tired and passive. Get some rest, or some enjoyable exercise, maybe?

I probably should pull out my foam DDR mat and play a few rounds. Today was spent staring at screens too much, and I know if I leave the house with my wallet, beer will be on the menu.

I definitely agree with this, being physical is one of the best ways to combat the 'high'. Unfortunately for a lot of people there's a strong psychological component that's the hardest part to break, but I honestly wish I had done the same at the time.

OP, if it helps, remember that it's a pure poison with zero benefits. You got this.

Excuse the many pics inbound but I wanted to give you a visual of it too. I fill this out every morning.

Screenshot_20220625-234349_stoic.jpg
Screenshot_20220625-234354_stoic.jpg
Screenshot_20220625-234407_stoic.jpg
Screenshot_20220625-234416_stoic.jpg
Screenshot_20220625-234426_stoic.jpg

I probably should pull out my foam DDR mat and play a few rounds. Today was spent staring at screens too much, and I know if I leave the house with my wallet, beer will be on the menu.

Good idea. And start to add in more exercise breaks to your schedule. Again, advice I so needed back then.

Looks like a good app @Alaric593 has there.

You may feel embarrassed but you're not grow a mullet for 9 months to dress up for an 80s festival embarrassed. My wife really does love me to deal with that hair for so long and join me in my ridiculous #dedicationtothecrusade
2012-04-21 19.44.24.jpg
2012-04-21 17.41.41.jpg

Days of Wine and Roses

You don't need to feel embarrassed, I can assure you many others have had the same feelings at some point, Including myself.

Firstly, look at the positive. You're aware that you were craving alcohol, and instead of just reasoning with yourself that its a good idea to go and get some, you decided to write a post about it, and said you know its a bad idea for you. In my opinion, that's the hardest part, being aware.

You stated your programing friends were busy, is it times when your mind is idle, without task or focus that the cravings kick in? I found that was often the case for myself, and an idle mind can be detrimental, I'd start to have catastrophizing thoughts and then look to 'escape' through some sort of substance.

As other members have mentioned, exercise is one of these things that will also let you escape or purge those, i second that. Other things I've found helped keep my mind busy were reading books, listening to violin, playing chess, taking my dog out, painting, it can even be cleaning the house. Initially i had no interest and did none of those things, but I found a love for all of them.

You got this.

You don't need to feel embarrassed, I can assure you many others have had the same feelings at some point, Including myself.

Firstly, look at the positive. You're aware that you were craving alcohol, and instead of just reasoning with yourself that its a good idea to go and get some, you decided to write a post about it, and said you know its a bad idea for you. In my opinion, that's the hardest part, being aware.

You stated your programing friends were busy, is it times when your mind is idle, without task or focus that the cravings kick in? I found that was often the case for myself, and an idle mind can be detrimental, I'd start to have catastrophizing thoughts and then look to 'escape' through some sort of substance.

As other members have mentioned, exercise is one of these things that will also let you escape or purge those, i second that. Other things I've found helped keep my mind busy were reading books, listening to violin, playing chess, taking my dog out, painting, it can even be cleaning the house. Initially i had no interest and did none of those things, but I found a love for all of them.

You got this.

My daughter and I love playing chess together. I've started to get her involved in playing the Civilization game series which is just a much more complicated form of chess. She's not quite sure about it yet. She'll play with me but doesn't have the confidence in it to play against me.

Making this thread rather than turning your brain off to go get beer was a strong move on your part. I hope it helped. I'm familiar with addiction, I know that what it wants above all else is for you to stop caring, stop worrying, stop thinking. It sucks so much because it poisons the holy space that is peace of mind. Like a deadly spike trap right at the entrance to your lovely home. No respite.

To be free from addiction is to be able to "let go" yet not indulge. In my experience this has only been achieved through a "supplement", but I have terrible discipline. Fill the day with more worthwhile things to do and the question is never asked. You are sated and can relax in between good activities without the crutch. Today I wrote music and played some game. In between I sat in my yard and thought of nothing. The day passed with no opportunity for need to show its head. I love to fill the small gaps of idle-time with either this forum or messaging a friend. I have the luxury of mind to be able to maintain wellbeing with only this minimalistic lifestyle.
Your own solution and your own type of strength will be colored by your character. I believe in you.

Congratulations, Metalhead! Courageous to come here for support. It is helpful to have more than one group to turn to. Your choice also helps toward your weight goal! Great choices.

You have great will power. Sometimes life pulls me down, l need an escape. I am hoping they legalize cannabis gummies this year here. That would be great but this isn't Califonia. I used to walk by the cannabis stores in Hollywood when the door opened, it was amazing the heavy smell that flew out. :)

The other thing l like to do in LA was go for Thai massage as l lived next to Thai Town which is next to Hollywood Blvd. Those woman knew every bone in my body.

New Threads

Top Bottom