• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could This Be a Stim?

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
I'm on the spectrum and I also get panic attacks. During a panic attack I will breathe heavily. I've tried stopping the heavy breathing but it's hard as I need to get the panic out someway. Heavy breathing sometimes helps me not to scream so I just breathe heavy because it's more socially appropriate. Is this normal for panic attacks or is this stimming? I know the breathing heavy is normal for panic attacks but I'm starting to wonder if I'm continuing the heavy breathing as a stim.

I do that but collage and art therapy are encouraging me to stop.

Neither thought whether it could b a stem I do it during anxiety attacks.

I'm on the spectrum and I also get panic attacks. During a panic attack I will breathe heavily. I've tried stopping the heavy breathing but it's hard as I need to get the panic out someway. Heavy breathing sometimes helps me not to scream so I just breathe heavy because it's more socially appropriate. Is this normal for panic attacks or is this stimming? I know the breathing heavy is normal for panic attacks but I'm starting to wonder if I'm continuing the heavy breathing as a stim.
It sounds like a coping mechanism or strategy

Exaggerated breathing is a symptom of panic attacks. You need to bring it under control because the increased flow of oxygen it causes makes the panic attack worse. (Your body is trying to fuel the adrenaline surge so wants more O2). That is why some people breath in an out of a paper bag.

I used to have attacks that made me wheeze and breath hard- it was blamed on viral bronchitis so I was given anti-asthmatics . So when said wheezing was caused by all the stress I was under it got worse because the anti asthmatics open up the lungs further and do the opposite job a paper bag. Now I'm under a lot less stress I have far fewer wheezing fits.

Im not sure i wish i could help you more.

New Threads

Top Bottom