• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could I be an aspie?

rosewater

Hi everybody,

I've posted a couple of times in this forum about my boyfriend, who is an aspie. As a brief update, things are great between us and really love each other.

The funny thing is that in the last couple of months I started to wonder whether I am an aspie myself. After reading a few articles on masking, which I thought would help my boyfriend, I felt very emotional because it really hit home for me. Since I was around 8-10 years old, I have felt quite different to most people, have had trouble understanding many reactions and ways of doing things, and experienced very frequently rejection and social confusion in general. My natural response was trying to 'mask' my personality and act the way it was expected, or let others comment/make the decisions (I was convinced everybody was doing the same thing). It may have worked occasionally but it wasn't effective in the long term and made me feel very uncomfortable. It often has taken -still takes- a psychological toll.

After getting to know about 'masking', I started doing some research on autism in women. Many pieces seemed to fit together. My anxiety and periods of depression starting at a very early age, the social confusion and frustration (also social anxiety for a few years), deep insecurities around people, frequent rejection, the amount of energy that socializing often required, getting into poetry around the age of 12 to channel my feelings and escaping a reality I had trouble dealing with, my meltdowns when I just couldn't cope anymore, anger outbursts or way over the top reactions, my obsessive interest in certain topics, a lot of uncertainty and confusion about who I was.

However, I've managed to keep groups of friends at different points in my life, I still have a few close friends and I've had a couple of successful long-term relationships, I can approach people without much trouble and I'm advancing relatively well in my career.

To me, my experience didn't seem anything like what I knew about autism until very recently. So it never occurred to me that I could be an aspie or anything like that - even though I've had a few aspie friends (I tend to be drawn to people with autistic traits). I knew there was something going on but I couldn't tell what. Neither did it occur to anybody else. I was just seen as "quirky" or "nerdy". My family just thought I was very sensitive and had anxiety issues.

The only thing I have ever been diagnosed with is a Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which to me made sense. After three years of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, I am doing much better in most of the issues mentioned above and overall functioning in general. It has really been life-changing.

However, I am starting to wonder whether I may be an aspie, after starting to seriously date one (we've talked about these thoughts I'm having a few times) and reading information about the female experience. If that's the case, I'm quite surprised none of my therapists or anybody around me mentioned it. May just be one of many undiagnosed cases.

Hope you are doing well :)

Rosewater

Also forgot to mention... People sometimes point out that I can be extremely fastidious and quite rigid. I am certainly learning to be more flexible, but the fastidious part... is a whole different story ha ha

Great you are at this forum, maybe reading some posts and seeing if you identify with any of them? Good luck!

Hi everybody,

I've posted a couple of times in this forum about my boyfriend, who is an aspie. As a brief update, things are great between us and really love each other.

The funny thing is that in the last couple of months I started to wonder whether I am an aspie myself. After reading a few articles on masking, which I thought would help my boyfriend, I felt very emotional because it really hit home for me. Since I was around 8-10 years old, I have felt quite different to most people, have had trouble understanding many reactions and ways of doing things, and experienced very frequently rejection and social confusion in general. My natural response was trying to 'mask' my personality and act the way it was expected, or let others comment/make the decisions (I was convinced everybody was doing the same thing). It may have worked occasionally but it wasn't effective in the long term and made me feel very uncomfortable. It often has taken -still takes- a psychological toll.

After getting to know about 'masking', I started doing some research on autism in women. Many pieces seemed to fit together. My anxiety and periods of depression starting at a very early age, the social confusion and frustration (also social anxiety for a few years), deep insecurities around people, frequent rejection, the amount of energy that socializing often required, getting into poetry around the age of 12 to channel my feelings and escaping a reality I had trouble dealing with, my meltdowns when I just couldn't cope anymore, anger outbursts or way over the top reactions, my obsessive interest in certain topics, a lot of uncertainty and confusion about who I was.

However, I've managed to keep groups of friends at different points in my life, I still have a few close friends and I've had a couple of successful long-term relationships, I can approach people without much trouble and I'm advancing relatively well in my career.

To me, my experience didn't seem anything like what I knew about autism until very recently. So it never occurred to me that I could be an aspie or anything like that - even though I've had a few aspie friends (I tend to be drawn to people with autistic traits). I knew there was something going on but I couldn't tell what. Neither did it occur to anybody else. I was just seen as "quirky" or "nerdy". My family just thought I was very sensitive and had anxiety issues.

The only thing I have ever been diagnosed with is a Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which to me made sense. After three years of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, I am doing much better in most of the issues mentioned above and overall functioning in general. It has really been life-changing.

However, I am starting to wonder whether I may be an aspie, after starting to seriously date one (we've talked about these thoughts I'm having a few times) and reading information about the female experience. If that's the case, I'm quite surprised none of my therapists or anybody around me mentioned it. May just be one of many undiagnosed cases.

Hope you are doing well :)

Rosewater

It sounds like you might be. I fooled people for 61 years by masking. Even fooled a psychologist before I was diagnosed.

I am glad you are doing well.

Not a clue I'm not a psychiatrist, but I can tell you that if you live in the USA and any other country that uses the DSM-V that you would not be diagnosed as an aspie.

"In the new DSM-V, the diagnosis of Asperger’s Disorder no longer exists
and has been absorbed into the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)."
DSM-V and How it Affects the Diagnosis of Asperger’s Disorder - OPI Residential Treatment Center for Young Adults - Private Pay Mental Health Program

"Asperger’s syndrome (typically applied to those with no intellectual disability or language deficit); pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified (generally given to higher-functioning individuals who may not meet all the criteria for autism); and childhood disintegrative disorder (attached to kids who develop typically and then experience severe regression after the age of 3) are now incorporated into the single diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder."
You Do Not Have Asperger’s, and Neither Does Anybody Else

"The DSM-5 now has only one broad category for autism: autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which replaces all the previous disorders within the spectrum, including Asperger’s disorder, pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs) and autism."
DSM-5: What Happened to Asperger’s? | MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds

The DSM-5 now has only one broad category for autism: autism spectrum disorder (ASD),...
Further, those with a diagnosis of ASD are graded on the severity level of their co-morbid conditions (with one being least and three being most).

ASD1 has become the DSM-5 replacement for the DSM-4's Asperger's Syndrome.

"In the new DSM-V, the diagnosis of Asperger’s Disorder no longer exists
and has been absorbed into the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)."
DSM-V and How it Affects the Diagnosis of Asperger’s Disorder - OPI Residential Treatment Center for Young Adults - Private Pay Mental Health Program

"Asperger’s syndrome (typically applied to those with no intellectual disability or language deficit); pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified (generally given to higher-functioning individuals who may not meet all the criteria for autism); and childhood disintegrative disorder (attached to kids who develop typically and then experience severe regression after the age of 3) are now incorporated into the single diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder."
You Do Not Have Asperger’s, and Neither Does Anybody Else

"The DSM-5 now has only one broad category for autism: autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which replaces all the previous disorders within the spectrum, including Asperger’s disorder, pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs) and autism."
DSM-5: What Happened to Asperger’s? | MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds

Sometimes I wonder if it would be worth seeking a formal diagnosis to see if I'm on the spectrum. Not sure if it would be useful or not...

I don't know if it of value either. I have been trying to find someone who can diagnose it. I thought I had found someone, but he has been leading me on for three sessions. When I saw him, it was specifically in the hope of an assessment. I told him such. Very clearly. Multiple times. He just keeps putting that discussion off and talking about anxiety and depression.

While I am certainly depressed and suffering anxiety, I can see someone for those in my small town, no problem. I am driving to the next town to see this guy for autism.

I see him again today. It is his last chance to address my question around an assessment. If not, I won't see him anymore.

My point here, is it is sometimes difficult to find even a Psych with more than a passing knowledge of autism cliches, let alone the DSM-5 guidelines.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be worth seeking a formal diagnosis to see if I'm on the spectrum. Not sure if it would be useful or not...
I don't know if it of value either. I have been trying to find someone who can diagnose it.
If either of you is in the USA, see Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Finding Support Resources in the USA...
I thought I had found someone, but he has been leading me on for three sessions.
I've seen that before.
He just keeps putting that discussion off and talking about anxiety and depression.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail!

New Threads

Top Bottom