• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cortisol Resistance Crisis

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
I did it this time. The past few months have been work mayhem, moving mayhem, husband illness mayhem, and then visiting relatives mayhem. I think it was too much mayhem.

I broke out with eczema/psoriasis spots on lip, elbows, shins, and one foot. The only treatment it responded to was cortisol anti-itch cream. So I know this is a cortisol resistance issue.

We on the spectrum are under so much routine stress, and produce so much cortisol, that our cells can become resistant to this vital hormone. (Like insulin resistance.) Adrenal fatigue has become a commonly understood syndrome, though the medical profession is disdainful of it. But while the fatigue, appetite issues, sleep disturbances, body temp fluctuations and the like seem like low cortisol issues, we can be baffled (as I was) when I got tested and found that far from having low cortisol, mine was too high.

The fool of an endocrinologist didn't even take any notice of that!

Part of my sleep routine is to enhance my circadian rthym, which makes the hormones work as they should. A sleep mask is vital; total darkness is what the body expects, and unless you live in a cave, you are unlikely to give your body that signal during sleep.

I hadn't been keeping up with my routines. And I have got to!

Here's how to reset your circadian rhythm.

New Threads

Top Bottom